Money

What is the current going rate for self-employed HGV(1) agency drivers? I am in the north west (Cheshire). For a guaranteed minimum 8-hour day, My agency pays me, depending on the employer:

£8.50 per hour for first eight hours then time and a half (45 mins deducted after 8 hours)
or
£9.00 per hour flat rate (45 mins deducted after 8 hours)
or
£90.00 per day (usually 10 hours)

In a recent telephone conversation with the agency, I suggested that they might like to increase this rate. There were sobbing noises.

the current going rate is whatever the market can stand
if self employed you need at least going rate + 25%
someones gotto pay for the holidays

Those rates seem a little low to me…
Nobody wants to see this descend into a “I earn more than XYZ” thread. But those rates are about what a low paid, newbie Class 2 driver gets round here on agency.

Euro:
What is the current going rate for self-employed HGV(1) agency drivers? I am in the north west (Cheshire). For a guaranteed minimum 8-hour day, My agency pays me, depending on the employer:

£8.50 per hour for first eight hours then time and a half (45 mins deducted after 8 hours)
or
£9.00 per hour flat rate (45 mins deducted after 8 hours)
or
£90.00 per day (usually 10 hours)

In a recent telephone conversation with the agency, I suggested that they might like to increase this rate. There were sobbing noises.

about the same as in yorkshire mate.i’ve had £10.50 p/h flat rates but usually £9 p/h plus o/t,but i’m self employed

I was self employed with an agency for about a year, whatever the employed rate is add on a pound an hour for self employed, that was the going rate with most agencies at the time.

I was on £9.25ph on the Agency,DHL contract,no time and half after 8 hours,just the same rate through the day and an hour deducted for your break. :frowning:

I get £9 / hr + time n half after 8 on agency doing airport work (level d, class 1) so 8.50 for standard c+e work sounds about right to me.

I wouldn’t go self employed for less than 10 / hr, but even then I bet you’d lose out due to lack of overtime rate + paying your own ni contributions (employers and employees) and hols etc…

Agencies love people going self employed but really you’ve gotta know what you’re doing and if you could cut the agency out, you’d be much better off.

Ifits done right then he won’t no or income tax hell only pay corperation tax

alix776:

What’s corporation tax :question:

bald bloke:

alix776:

it’s what companies have to pay on their profits,mines 20%

jrl driver:

bald bloke:

alix776:

Yeah silly me, I just called it tax but its all the same thing I suppose.

thanks for replies.
I appproximate your replies as:

Hitch Warwick £10.50
Scarab Eastbourne £9.50
jrl Halifax £9.00
Bald Bristol £9.50
Bateman ? £9.25
Waynedl Bristol £9.00

R

Euro:
thanks for replies.

Hitch Warwick £10.50
Scarab Eastbourne £9.50
jrl Halifax £9.00
Bald Bristol £9.50
Bateman ? £9.25
Waynedl Bristol £9.00

R

Best get yourself to Warwick then !

Just been contacting agencies about that very matter.

One offered PAYE 8.75 plus 50p for self employed.

Most others were PAYE £9 plus 10% self employed.

In a word…lousey.

I know this is not a fair comparisom but as a wireman I was getting £13.83ph and that was not good (limited co).

Looks like I will return to wiring again with a view to upgrading my old electrician papers. Might lorry drive the odd weekend but ■■■■ this working time directive!

Euro:
thanks for replies.

Hitch Warwick £10.50
Scarab Eastbourne £9.50
jrl Halifax £9.00
Bald Bristol £9.50
Bateman ? £9.25
Waynedl Bristol £9.00

R

Bristol■■?

Also, I said I’m on £9 / hr PAYE, not self employed and that I wouldn’t do self employed for less than a tenner / hr, and even then I’d seriously think otherwise.

I’m happy as long as I get 20p and a packet of crisps a day.

jrl driver:

bald bloke:

alix776:

Corporation tax is paid after interest on loans - Therefore keep the company in debt and no tax will ever be paid :wink:

m4rky:

jrl driver:

bald bloke:

alix776:

Corporation tax is paid after interest on loans - Therefore keep the company in debt and no tax will ever be paid :wink:

didn’t to bad with the accountant i’ve got,he got my corp tax down from about £800 to £256 :smiley: :smiley: so what he saved me paid his bill :unamused:

switchlogic:
I’m happy as long as I get 20p and a packet of crisps a day.

You forgot the mars bar :smiley: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

waynedl:
I get £9 / hr + time n half after 8 on agency doing airport work (level d, class 1) so 8.50 for standard c+e work sounds about right to me.

I wouldn’t go self employed for less than 10 / hr, but even then I bet you’d lose out due to lack of overtime rate + paying your own ni contributions (employers and employees) and hols etc…

Agencies love people going self employed but really you’ve gotta know what you’re doing and if you could cut the agency out, you’d be much better off.

Why would you lose o/t rate just because you’re s/e?

You don’t pay employers NI contribution and neither do they as they are not employing you.
Statutary class 2 s/e NI rate for the 2011/12 year is £2.50 a week.

Totally agree with your last paragraph.