Moffett training

I live in nottingham. I am looking at doing a moffett course. Where and how much are they. Tried looking online but its hard to compare lots of prices locally oh and is it worth a newbie doing this

DWYNE:
I live in nottingham. I am looking at doing a moffett course. Where and how much are they. Tried looking online but its hard to compare lots of prices locally oh and is it worth a newbie doing this

I’ve done my Moffet 3x in Nottingham & I’ve always been trained by independent 1 man band outfits using whatever Co’ s I’m working for trucks.

I’m not aware if any of the bigger training Co’s in Notts have their own truck, but if you ask in the newbie’s section I’m pretty sure that Peter Smythe could point you in the right direction.

Is it worth it?

NO. There’s a few agencies that’d like you on their books but it would be for holiday cover only. Don’t expect to be earning a premium above a good local LGV C rate of £8ph.

CCF in Langley Mill have a high turnover of drivers (for a good reason) & 90% of the Jobcentre ads you are seeing will be agencies trying to feed them. If you have a fetish for Moffet driving then it might be worth contacting them direct.

Most Moffett training is done on behalf of companies that operate them, and so they provide the truck. Very few,if any, training providers have their own, very expensive piece of kit that would get relatively little use. Is it worth doing it yourself? Same catch 22 as new LGV licence holder, most firms that use them are looking for experienced operators.

Ken

You could give Hardstaff a try…they have a training dept. I know they do FLT. Not sure about Moffet mounty though. If not they may refer you to someone who does it.
EDIT:
hardstaffgroup.co.uk/site/dr … c-training

They do mention Moffet training on this page…based in Nottingham.

Daz1970:
You could give Hardstaff a try…they have a training dept. I know they do FLT. Not sure about Moffet mounty though. If not they may refer you to someone who does it.
EDIT:
hardstaffgroup.co.uk/site/dr … c-training

They do mention Moffet training on this page…based in Nottingham.

And they do actual Moffett training I got the prices from them this year, best company over the entire UK for giving information and costings, with their own mountys and you get to practice on old and new, just like the outside world will throw at you! Plus for a small additional fee two days of your training can count towards your DCPC, which they must be told about in advance to set it up for you.

This might give some help Moffett Operators - Training and Advice Required - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK but be expected to be ■■■■■■ about by trainers. I literally contacted 15 in the end from Scotland down to the far Soooouth! As I was willing to travel from my location!

Not many came back with coherent answers over the telephone and less came back with answers by email. So be prepared to not get much help from the people who are paid to get trainees in!

Ive got some PM’s with costings from a variety of firms, but I imagine they would have changed again by now! If looking for training in it just be prepared to be ■■■■■■ about by the trainers and a hard slog to get answers.

Like others have said I think they are concerned with companies doing the training and not a general user, which is a bit of a shame.

I suppose Hardstaff gets round it, as they are a company with numerous Moffetts, so can take one out of the chain for training or even have them spare? etc.

Hoping to go in February the guy to talk to at Hardstaff is Alistair. I have his work phone number and email should you require it PM me.

C

Did mine with Hardstaff. Alistair is the Man.
You may get lucky and get a job out of it with them.
I worked for them on the Artex contract with the Moffett but I was out based up in Glasgow. My choice to leave.
Good luck

If you’ve driven a forklift before you wouldn’t need much training really and even if you hadn’t same probably applies. Forklift training is one of the original money for old rope industries. It suffers from the same issue most training cos do that the trainers haven’t actually done the job in years and aren’t familiar with the newest kit.

dts:
Did mine with Hardstaff. Alistair is the Man.
You may get lucky and get a job out of it with them.
I worked for them on the Artex contract with the Moffett but I was out based up in Glasgow. My choice to leave.
Good luck

I agree Alistair is a top geezer!!!

Own Account Driver:
If you’ve driven a forklift before you wouldn’t need much training really and even if you hadn’t same probably applies. Forklift training is one of the original money for old rope industries. It suffers from the same issue most training cos do that the trainers haven’t actually done the job in years and aren’t familiar with the newest kit.

On that posting I done, I got told it was quite a lot different and it was better if you hadn’t driven a FLT before in terms of driving them and how the lifting characteristics work e.g. you shouldn’t be as cocky or have bad habits already?

Not my words but those who operated them, who commented on the post. As I haven’t got to use one yet, so I can’t comment :laughing:

Got told by Alastair as a newb he’d recommend 2-3 days max. 3 days would be to get the maximum 14 hours for your DCPC if you needed it. In his own words any longer would normally be a complete waste of time and money for all parties concerned!

Alastair defintely seemed like a top bloke on the phone, no pressure selling and answered two detailed emails I sent with detailed answers and even phoned me back to make sure I understood everything. As we was talking about how the accreditation was all being amalgamated and how it was all going online! :unamused:

Then he siad if I wanted to proceed to get back in contact when I had the money. Very rare to hear that from trainers in whatever field, be it DCPC or Driving or any other related training, 99% of the time its hard sell as that is their business model which is dependant on that hard sell!

C

I think the thing about Alistair at Hardstaff is that they are busy enough training in-house drivers with DCPC/FLT etc. not to be too bothered with generating extra work, so ‘private’ clients are a bonus. He did say he was relieved when he discovered just how much work was involved with gaining ADR centre approval & Instructor approved status - this was something the gaffers were looking to get into but didn’t realise the steps involved, so I think they put it on back-burner.
I can recommend Hardstaff & Alistair.

Alot of people say hardstaff. May have to give them a call and get some prices. Thanks