Moffett please drive

Seen a few posts recently where this would of come into its own [emoji23]

youtu.be/knCc-yPCEWU

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Excellent ! :smiley:

I used to drive a wagon and drag with a Moffett. Fortunately I never got into a position where I had to that, but as you could raise the back of the trailer with it when empty, I always assumed it was possible.

:smiley: :sunglasses: maybe they would give these out to all the new drivers just in case, very handy :grimacing:

Done it meself with a drag, but for obvious reasons it ain’t good for the Moffett.

As Trucken says, the trick is to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.

i did once have a somewhat less fortunate experience with a Moffett. Delivering to a remote farm up in mid-Wales, the only place to park was at the top of a downhill gradient, on the offside of the road otherwise you couldn’t access the farm entrance. I had six ton pallets of sheep feed on board, it had been snowing and it was on the edge of freezing. However, I got out of the cab and the road did not feel slippery underfoot; so i carried on and started to demount the machine.

All was fine till I rested the machine on the ground to remove it; then to my horror I noticed that the lorry was moving away from me! The forks were about halfway out of the slots when this happened, thankfully I resisted the temptation to chase after it and hook back on; the lorry (8 wheeler Renault) slid down the road and ended up with the front nearside wheel in the ditch. Thankfully the only damage was to my pride, though it took the local Foden S80 wreck truck to winch me out.

At my old place I was one of the ‘moffett’ drivers although we actually had manitou telehandlers which were amazing bits of kit bearing in mind primarily we were delivering to public realm street work things so being able to unload from one side was a massive help in terms of access.

They also started doing motorbikes to bike dealerships (yamaha, triumph etc) and that was a pain in the arse because the majority of bike dealerships are by not exactly built with an artic in mind and it was too dangerous. There was one of those all terrain experience type placed in mid Wales you could get nowhere near so you had to dump the truck and take a stillage with a quad bike that is the width of an hgv a mile or so along a country road then another half mile or so up a dirt track.

But what made me tell them to poke their £10 moffett pay each day was unloading on the road. Its ok in a building site where you’ll be given a Marshall no matter how useless they are as its an extra pair of eyes at least and some more visibility in terms of the perma-orange suit, but no such thing at a bike dealership, no help, cars will not wait for you and even if one does there’s no guarantee the one coming the other way won’t dart past when the manitou is at its most unstable.

That and you’re unmounting and remounting this machine that is covered in road grime numerous times in a day getting wet, filthy etc. In the end I said pay me £10 per moffet delivery or poke it, they said no, so I said no thanks. Might aswell sit on a bay for three hours instead.

I quite like driving a forklift. That being said, I would not drive a moffet. Mainly because as the other guy mentioned. They only send moffets to places where generally its a pain in the ■■■ to get in and out of.
Quite often seen moffet trucks blocking roads while unloading. Na, thanks I try to avoid that ■■■■.

Yea, I know some people will argue sometimes roads need blocking for deliveries. But it’s not worth the grief.