Moffett forklift-is this additional 2allowable truck length?

Hi folks- is the moffett on the back of truck additional to the maximum length permitted or included? And why I’m asking, is there any other equipment or anomalies that are or arnt?
Cheers guys

Yes it is allowable in addition to 13.6 metre trailer. See Topps Tiles or Pets at Home for examples

098Joe:
Yes it is allowable in addition to 13.6 metre trailer. See Topps Tiles or Pets at Home for examples

Oh yes, but have a 500mm long drop down frame to carry an extra bale and its handcuffs. The law is an arse.

The driving assessor at our place informed me that it is part of your total length and part of your total weight limit as well.

If you leave your wheel straight then I may take you over length by centimeters.

If you turn it so its flat you can damage the wheel.

I believe things like Moffett Mountys do not count as part of the overall length of a vehicle, as they are considered to be a Special Appliance, attached to the vehicle, which is used for loading or unloading, but doesn’t increase the load capacity of the vehicle.

Mattwoodtransport:
is there any other equipment or anomalies that are or arnt?
Cheers guys

There you go :smiley:

**overall length **

in relation to a vehicle, the distance between transverse planes passing through the extreme forward and rearward projecting points of the vehicle inclusive of all parts of the vehicle, of any receptacle which is of a permanent character and accordingly strong enough for repeated use, and any fitting on, or attached to, the vehicle except

(i) for all purposes–

(a) any driving mirror;

(b)any expanding or extensible contrivance forming part of a turntable fire escape fixed to a vehicle;

(c)any snow-plough fixed in front of a vehicle;

(d)any receptacle specially designed to hold and keep secure a seal issued for the purposes of customs clearance;

(e)any tailboard which is let down while the vehicle is stationary in order to facilitate its loading or unloading;

(f)any tailboard which is let down in order to facilitate the carriage of, but which is not essential for the support of, loads which are in themselves so long as to extend at least as far as the tailboard when upright;

(g)any fitting attached to a part of, or to a receptacle on, a vehicle which does not increase the carrying capacity of the part or receptacle but which enables it to be

–transferred from a road vehicle to a railway vehicle or from a railway vehicle to a road vehicle,

–secured to a railway vehicle by a locking device, and

–carried on a railway vehicle by the use of stanchions:

(h)any plate, whether rigid or movable, fitted to a trailer constructed for the purpose of carrying other vehicles and designed to bridge the gap between that trailer and a motor vehicle constructed for that purpose and to which the trailer is attached so that, while the trailer is attached to the motor vehicle, vehicles which are to be carried by the motor vehicle may be moved from the trailer to the motor vehicle before a journey begins, and vehicles which have been carried on the motor vehicle may be moved from it to the trailer after a journey ends;

(i)any sheeting or other readily flexible means of covering or securing a load;

(j)any receptacle with an external length, measured parallel to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, not exceeding 2.5 m;

(k)any empty receptacle which itself forms a load;

(l)any receptacle which contains an indivisible load of exceptional length;
(many receptacle manufactured before 30th October 1985, not being a maritime container (namely a container designed primarily for carriage on sea transport without an accompanying road vehicle); or

(n)any special appliance or apparatus as described in regulation 81(c) which does not itself increase the carrying capacity of the vehicle;
(ii)for the purposes of regulation 7–
(a)any part of a trailer (not being in the case of an agricultural trailed appliance a drawbar or other thing with which it is equipped for the purpose of being towed) designed primarily for use as a means of attaching it to another vehicle and any fitting designed for use in connection with any such part;
(b)the thickness of any front or rear wall on a semi-trailer and of any part forward of such front wall or rearward of such rear wall which does not increase the vehicle’s load-carrying space.

muckles:
I believe things like Moffett Mountys do not count as part of the overall length of a vehicle, as they are considered to be a Special Appliance, attached to the vehicle, which is used for loading or unloading, but doesn’t increase the load capacity of the vehicle.

It’s the same as car transporters with a car hanging over the “Peak” or front, or hanging out of the back,and the 45 foot containers, (which have and extending bumper on the trailer), as these are not a permanent part of the vehicle I believe they are not classed as having to come within vehicle dimensions.

Looks like our assessor was wrong then [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

sinclair89:
Looks like our assessor was wrong then [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

Hi
I was before retiring the transport manager for Downton on the Pets at home contract and had a lot to do with Moffet and the Palfinger equivalent.
The RMFT ( rear mounted fort truck) is allowed as an overhang within the rules set out above - interesting I developed a hood that could be fixed to the top rear of the trailer that would fit over the RMFT utilising hydraulic arms to control the lift movement - this was designed by me to counteract the vortex at the rear of the trailer dragging all the road rubbish into the mechanics and causing excessive corrosion - this idea had to be dropped because it was fixed to the trailer and formed part of the trailer and in turn its full length which would have put the trailer over its legal limit.
With regard to the weight - the RMFT when sitting on the back of the the trailer/vehicle counts towards the gross weight ie max 44tons

Good luck - hated the product although saved a fortune for Pets at Home as each store had a fork truck plus trained FT. Driver which caused magor problems with staff turnover.
Then there was 250 stores with Fork trucks replaced by 24 Moffets - huge huge saving
Good luck

Is Moffett forklift training worth it?

Kenb:
Hi
I was before retiring the transport manager for Downton on the Pets at home contract and had a lot to do with Moffet and the Palfinger equivalent.
The RMFT ( rear mounted fort truck) is allowed as an overhang within the rules set out above - interesting I developed a hood that could be fixed to the top rear of the trailer that would fit over the RMFT utilising hydraulic arms to control the lift movement - this was designed by me to counteract the vortex at the rear of the trailer dragging all the road rubbish into the mechanics and causing excessive corrosion - this idea had to be dropped because it was fixed to the trailer and formed part of the trailer and in turn its full length which would have put the trailer over its legal limit.
With regard to the weight - the RMFT when sitting on the back of the the trailer/vehicle counts towards the gross weight ie max 44tons

Good luck - hated the product although saved a fortune for Pets at Home as each store had a fork truck plus trained FT. Driver which caused magor problems with staff turnover.
Then there was 250 stores with Fork trucks replaced by 24 Moffets - huge huge saving
Good luck

Interesting Ken; most of our problems to do with the Moffett stem from crap getting into the works, compounded in our case by that work being on farms, and accessing narrow country lanes in order to reach them. Also makes it unpleasant for the driver, as the “cab” gets crudded up very quickly.

My experience is that they’re not particularly well thought out with regard to electrics; the lights as you know are very easily damaged and yet they’re both fragile and expensive, plus the protection and routing of the wiring leaves much to be desired. Another common problem with ours (we use the telehandler m10) is poor cold starting; I’m surprised that they haven’t figured out a way to use the vehicle’s electrical system to run a trickle charger, plus the battery is a long way from the starter motor which is less than ideal as it promoted current drop.

Rumour has it that we may be going over to Manitou loaders; I’ve used them before and they do seem to be more robust. Both however are brilliant bits of kit and have made farm deliveries an absolute doddle.

Craigdaniels:
Is Moffett forklift training worth it?

I’d say it would be a definite advantage for anyone wanting to do agency work. More and more companies are seeming to go for them; because of the nature of our work we’ve got a couple of extra drivers trained up to cover holiday and sickness but not all will have, and I’d consider it a useful string to the bow.

I note you’re in the training business; sorry to state the bleeding obvious but you should note that part of the lorry-mounted FLT test involves demounting and remounting the unit so if you’re asking with a view to providing training, I’d suspect that you’d have to invest in a lorry as well as the FLT.

We use the Manitou loader and I can’t fault it really. Mine is 6 years old and has broken down twice. Both little parts that had given up the ghost, nothing serious.

Sidevalve - we carry jump packs for a bit of a boost if the battery is having a lazy/cold day.

I used to have a Moffett on farm deliveries and we also had lots of problems with the electrics, but since changing to a Manitou have had no problems, they certainly seem better built.