Module 4

Just seen this in commercial motor I wonder if Peter can shed some light on it

commercialmotor.com/news/dvs … r-cpc-test

Paul

Yes. The DSVA are running a trial where trainers can have their own assessor trained at Cardington to carry out Mod 4 tests. A centre cannot have more than 1 assessor currently.

We have our own assessor who is now conducting Mod 4. We can also carry out Mod 4 for anybody who wants one. This is a great way of providing a quicker service than might otherwise be available. Depending on the provider, the service can also be very flexible. eg we can carry out assessments as early as 0600 and possibly at the weekends. But the major advantage is that, for every 2 Mod 4’s conducted by independents, there’s potentially one more driving test available from DVSA.

The assessor cannot be the instructor - naturally.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Ok thanks Peter do you charge the same as the DVSA for this service?

Paul

Yes. It’s just that it’s booked directly with the training centre. But folks should bear in mind that this is in addition to the DSVA - not a replacement.

Peter Smythe:
Yes. It’s just that it’s booked directly with the training centre. But folks should bear in mind that this is in addition to the DSVA - not a replacement.

Not yet I think the phrase is Peter

Peter Smythe wrote:

Not yet I think the phrase is Peter

Whoops. Crystal balls letting me down again!!

I heard from the training school I just went with that the plan is to phase out government examiners and have them all go private. I can see the benefits re availability and booking speed but I do see issues regarding impartiality and cost, are there any plans on legislation to maintain this?

We are doing the Module 4 trials here also. It should (in principle) be a good idea. As long as the system is not abused. Subject to all going well, give it a couple of months and everyone will be doing their own tests. As far as costs go it is actually a wee bit cheaper (on the test fees) when candidates come to us as opposed to “the DVSA test centre”.
We shall be passing on this reduction to our customers.

Just a thought how will one man bands get on?

Probably the beginning of the end for small a business

Paul

Under the rules, a one man band wont be able to conduct Mod 4 as the assessor cannot train the candidate. BUT, maybe (and I don’t know so don’t quote me) it will be possible to you to assess the trainees from another trainer and vice versa.

But you’re a 2 man band so where’s your problem?

Peter Smythe:
But you’re a 2 man band so where’s your problem?

Did I mention a problem merely asking a question and stating a possibility!

Paul

the beginning of the end for small a business

In my book, quite a serious problem!

Peter Smythe:

the beginning of the end for small a business

In my book, quite a serious problem!

Well not really a problem I would sell up and do something else but I believe the the industry benefits with me being involved and so does his forum with my independent comments.

Paul :smiley:

So a saving for an DVSA examiner of 35 minutes in their working day, if they could find another hour then they could conduct a further on road test.
Where could they harvest that time? By dropping the reverse…and letting the trainers sign off on the exercise.

The bean counters would love it but would an examiner want to out on a C+E test heading into a busy town and not have a clue that the driver is competent in the black art of reversing? I expect the examiner union to cry foul.

Delusions of Grandeur Alert!

…driver is competent in the black art of reversing…

That is pure pants ■■■■■■■ quality, since when has the reversing exercise in the test taught that??

Reading the threads of newly passed C+E drivers on here, they must have been very short changed, because most new drivers can’t real life reverse for toffee.

would an examiner want to out on a C+E test heading into a busy town and not have a clue that the driver is competent in the black art of reversing? I expect the examiner union to cry foul.

It happens all the time now. Not unusual for examiners to carry out the reverse at the end of the test at some centres. If a centre has got eg 4 CE tests all at the same time can you imagine what time the 4th one would actually get on the road? And that would lead to cancellation of the following test. So not good for anyone.

There’s been many changes over the last 20 years, most of them in the last 10 years. And, without fail, there’s been a hue and cry and much criticism. Has to be said that I’ve been very vocal on some of the issues whilst I’ve fought to get some of the changes as well. But time has shown that most of the changes have not destroyed the job in the way some of us forecast.

The Mod 4 trial gives us the opportunity to offer a better service to our candidates - and anyone elses. Whether the reverse comes to us for sign off only time will tell. But the maths indicate that this would potentially free up an examiner for another driving test.

Interesting thread, Pete. It was only a matter of time before this happened. It’s certainly beneficial for us as it would free up a lot more tests at our customer site.

Can you tell me, just out of interest - how long was the course in Cardington to become a Mod4 Assessor? Hope the pilot scheme works well as it’s certainly a step forward.

I will add though, the new CPC rennovation with adapted questions is laughable - who on earth writes these?! Worded terribly, awful grammar, questions are certainly not fairly weighted.

Cheers.

how long was the course in Cardington to become a Mod4 Assessor?

1 day

new CPC rennovation with adapted questions is laughable - who on earth writes these?! Worded terribly, awful grammar, questions are certainly not fairly weighted.

Sorry, cant pass sensible comment on that.

But, without a doubt, it’s great for customer service. And the hope that it will enable more practical tests is the icing on the cake IMO.

Peter Smythe:

how long was the course in Cardington to become a Mod4 Assessor?

1 day

new CPC rennovation with adapted questions is laughable - who on earth writes these?! Worded terribly, awful grammar, questions are certainly not fairly weighted.

Sorry, cant pass sensible comment on that.

But, without a doubt, it’s great for customer service. And the hope that it will enable more practical tests is the icing on the cake IMO.

Thanks Pete - it has certainly made the CPC easier, however I do think there is more chance of candidates misunderstanding/misinterpreting questions.

Hopefully the pilot is a success and will significantly help providers (us included!) with practical test availability.

Cheers.