Modes on digi tacograph

Hi guys quick question. If i have to stop for any reason. Example if i get stoped by vosa do i put the mode in cross hammers? If i stop at a shop or garage. And another thing i dont understand is about these man entrys when you start another shift. Any help much apprecated. I mite be going for driving assement on thursday and im trying to get grips with things cheers guys :smiley:

I’m quite new to them too…

My current way to stay out of trouble is as follows:

Card in, OK to accept country etc.
Check it is on cross hammers for work. Check truck over. Drive off and it automatically records “driving”

When you stop, one of two things happen. As far as I can tell, vast majority out there stay on cross hammers (other work). So these you treat exactly as you would have treated an analogue tacho, only change the switch for rest or POA. A few odd ones (don’t know the logic) go to rest every time you stop. So if you stop for a long period and are still working you need to manually change to the crossed hammers.

Once you know what it jumps to when you stop driving you can relax a bit for the day!

End of day, I ALWAYS put it on rest before I eject card, as this means you generally don’t need manual entries.

If you start work before your truck is available you need manual entries, but there are good youtube videos on how to do these (I hate doing them!)

th2013:
I’m quite new to them too…

My current way to stay out of trouble is as follows:

Card in, OK to accept country etc.
Check it is on cross hammers for work. Check truck over. Drive off and it automatically records “driving”

When you stop, one of two things happen. As far as I can tell, vast majority out there stay on cross hammers (other work). So these you treat exactly as you would have treated an analogue tacho, only change the switch for rest or POA. A few odd ones (don’t know the logic) go to rest every time you stop. So if you stop for a long period and are still working you need to manually change to the crossed hammers.

Once you know what it jumps to when you stop driving you can relax a bit for the day!

End of day, I ALWAYS put it on rest before I eject card, as this means you generally don’t need manual entries.

If you start work before your truck is available you need manual entries, but there are good youtube videos on how to do these (I hate doing them!)

That’s about it nice clear and precise .
I always put the head on rest before inserting and removing card just in case it has a head fit before you get to do manual entries and thinks you’ve been working for the last 3 days :unamused:

If you can go home as soon as you pull your card, and if you can insert your card as soon as you start work, you’ll be fine.
Otherwise, manual entries.
Eg, I can clock in at 6am then walk round to the transport window (2 mins walk ish). Then queueing to find out what I’m on, then get keys, chat to others, find vehicle. That’s probably 10-15 mins depending how many are in the queue before me, all before putting card in. Then manual entry for the last shifts de-brief process (slow), plus all that time since clocking in.
Then at end of shift, park up, pull card, then queue again, get a de-brief, pass on any info/defects/problems etc. That’s usually 20 mins again.
I’m salaried, so no financial gain, but all that time goes towards my working time average (company are really ■■■■ about that).
If manual entries backed up your claim for overtime, would you do it then ?

If it’s work. (Eg refuelling etc) cross hammers. If it’s loading, but you’re sat in the cab/waiting room, technically it ought to be POA.

If you have the ability to dispose of your time however you like, then you can slap it on break (bed)

Sometimes you can have a break whilst loading, if you know you’ll be there a while, but not always great if you’re paid off tacho entries.

Thanks nove :smiley:

Thanks guys. Still trying to get use to taco stuff :smiley:

Do as I say, not as I do :wink:

For tacho entries,it has been known for DVSA to back track your paper trail of your activites.
By using information from signed timed Poa’s and fuel station receipts,they can calculate what modes used.
There are cameras on roads that clock the number plate.
The shift start and end times must tally up to the digital input.
Aldi and Lidl depots,drivers tip their own trailer so the tacho entry must be on crossed hammers or get a fine if caught.
If the truck is not at your depot ,you need to do a manual entry when the truck comes back from a night trunk or been in the garage.

What you must remember if using POA is that you MUST know how long you will be waiting before using it according to the guidelines

NOVE:
If you have the ability to dispose of your time however you like, then you can slap it on break (bed)

The break bit is correct but not the first bit because that refers to rest not break

A break can be as little as 1 minute and are recorded as break but only breaks of certain lengths count as breaks for the driving time or RTD

davy1111:
Hi guys quick question.

Hi davy1111,

It was actually two quick questions until I merged the two topics together. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

This sometimes happens to me when I use my iPhone to post, so I know only too well how very easy it is to make that little mistake. :blush: :blush: :blush:

:laughing: your right dieseldave it does that on me sometimes puting up 2 posts when i only wrote 1 :laughing:

Just a quick one. On some hire trucks I’ve had, the mode can change when you turn off the ignition. Ie, I’ve pulled up at say, Warwick for 45 mins shuteye, applied park brake, switched mode to bed, knocked the enigine off and had a kip.

But knocking off the engine (ignition) reverted the tacho back to cross hammers, therefore the break didn’t reset my tacho driving time. Can also knacker up your WTD hours.

Just one to watch if in an unfamiliar vehicle.