MODEL TRUCKS

Superb job here’s one im working on at the moment paint work a bit naff

DISPATCHER:
Superb job here’s one im working on at the moment paint work a bit naff

DISPATCHER:

Doing a superb job yourself as well Chris!

American Truck cab started and it’s going ok for now, just a few problems to overcome…
I can’t get the front corner curves without bending plywood and I’m not ready for that yet, they use steam I believe. I’m making a model based on Peterbuilt and Kenworth and calling it a Peterworth so it doesn’t have to be completely accurate. No opening doors so that’s easy but could do with learning how to cut perspex from old caravan windows, can get curves for edge of windscreen then.
Need plenty of wood filler and I’m finding it difficult to source 2" headlamps or something that resembles them, also the indicators will be a problem, they were just stuck on the cab below the mirrors I think.
Got an engine sorted and gearbox, I’ll have to make the front wheels and not sure on the rears yet. Going to be a six wheel unit, one drive axle and a tag axle at the rear, see how much suitable stuff is in the scrap heap for a fifth wheel.

When I used to make lorries from wood I chose old ERF’s etc with flat sided cabs to model! Kept things nice and simple. :laughing: Steaming the plywood is the way to go for making curves though.

Pete.

windrush:
When I used to make lorries from wood I chose old ERF’s etc with flat sided cabs to model! Kept things nice and simple. :laughing: Steaming the plywood is the way to go for making curves though.

Pete.

Thanks I’ll experiment with steam, this is just a practice model and I hope to learn from it and then make an Atkinson Borderer, not as difficult as you would imagine to get the front bent using three ply just takes time I would say. Windows another matter though.

I’ve found a perspex supplier on line, they cut to size and deliver. Test ordered a peice 80cm x 30cm (approx) in polished 3mm thick perspex for the windscreen, that and the two door windows will be about twenty quid.
Cab roof going on tomorrow and cutting the door window apertures out, this model is going better than expected, just wish parts like lights and steering wheels were available in the larger scale.
I’ve put a bed shelf in the sleeper and bonnet cover which will cover the 12 hp engine, wood filler tomorrow to seal the cab joints then lots of sanding to shape the cab edges.

Paint reacted on model truck cab, have to strip it and start again. Rubbish undercoat with spray can paint on top, going to have to brush paint it all I think.

paint reacted.jpg

Could you use upvc drain pipes or similar to make the corners? Or maybe cut the panels short, have the frame exposed and chisel, plane and sand the curve you need? Or just fill and sand the corners?

newmercman:
Could you use upvc drain pipes or similar to make the corners? Or maybe cut the panels short, have the frame exposed and chisel, plane and sand the curve you need? Or just fill and sand the corners?

That’s a good idea, stink pipe would be about right I think (5 or 6 inch) this one is supposed to be a rough one to practice getting frame right etcbut may use it and sell later, put recesses in for headlamps today and steps below doors.

A lights.jpg

It looks good so far, well done.

landowner:

windrush:

Pete.

Thanks I’ll experiment with steam, this is just a practice model and I hope to learn from it and then make an Atkinson Borderer, not as difficult as you would imagine to get the front bent using three ply just takes time I would say. Windows another matter though.

A bit like this one? It’s 1/5 scale and was built by Syd Hague, a member of The National Association of Road Transport Modellers and will be on display at their show at Alsager (Cheshire) on November 2nd.

fodenway:

landowner:

windrush:

Pete.

A bit like this one? It’s 1/5 scale and was built by Syd Hague, a member of The National Association of Road Transport Modellers and will be on display at their show at Alsager (Cheshire) on November 2nd.

That’s very good, looks like it can be done but there again he is a much better model maker than I’ll ever be by the looks of it. lovely job that is

Syd had the advantage of working for Jennings of Sandbach before retiring, but this was built at home using basic hand tools. Pop along to the show and have a chat with him, he’ll explain some of the techniques he uses for bending and shaping materials for you.

fodenway:
Syd had the advantage of working for Jennings of Sandbach before retiring, but this was built at home using basic hand tools. Pop along to the show and have a chat with him, he’ll explain some of the techniques he uses for bending and shaping materials for you.

Thanks I’ll look that up and go and have a look, could do with some hints and tips.

Finished my Morris FHK 8 tonner a while back

Testing paint scheme

an almost  painted cab.jpg

landowner:
Testing paint scheme

I love that-I thought it looked very much like a cab over Peterbuilt in the pics you posted earlier-top work!
I also really like the Syd Hague Atkinson -a work of art.so much work gone into that.the tyres look a little low profile but that would be nit picking-it’s lovely.

andrew.s:

landowner:
Testing paint scheme

I love that-I thought it looked very much like a cab over Peterbuilt in the pics you posted earlier-top work!
I also really like the Syd Hague Atkinson -a work of art.so much work gone into that.the tyres look a little low profile but that would be nit picking-it’s lovely.

Love the Morris by the way, I agree about the Atkinson, bumper and roof dont look right but that maybe the photo, who am I to nit pic anyway :smiley:
Lots of work gone into that and I would like to know what it’s made from to get the curves at the front, looks spot on

Pete dash.jpg

Dashboard nearly done, not a copy of anything just made to look like a dash when peering through the windows.

Something at 48 scale to keep me busy these dark nights

A united carriers motor.jpg