Mod 2 Theory confusion

Hi, hoping someone will be able to put me on the right path

I’m wanting to get my CE licence and was told I’d have to take my Theory & Hazards again. When I tried booking these DVSA said I’d have to wait 10days for DVLA to ok this?
After speaking to a training school, I was told I only need to take my MOD 2 Theory & Mod 4 - isn’t Mod 2 case studies?

car passed 1994
LGV Class 2 passed 2009 - just before CPC came in
PSV passed 2013

Any help would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

You definitely won’t have to take your theories again no, have you done a CPC at all? If not you could do Mod 2 and Mod 4, or the 35 hours periodic

only done CPC for PSV
I’ve never used my Class 2 - no experience, no job :unamused: that’s why I ended up going down the PSV route

I was told I only need to take my MOD 2 Theory & Mod 4 - isn’t Mod 2 case studies?

Correct. Or use a trainer who can give you cpc credits for your CE and you’ll be part way there.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

BertieB:
only done CPC for PSV

Have you done the 35 hours periodic training ?

tachograph:

BertieB:
only done CPC for PSV

Yes for PSV

BertieB:

tachograph:

BertieB:
only done CPC for PSV

Yes for PSV

As you passed the car test in 1994 and you passed cat C before the DCPC started in 2009 you have acquired rights to the DCPC for goods vehicles, I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that when you did the 35 hours periodic training it will have counted for both PCV and HGV vehicles.

I could be wrong but I think you should already have goods vehicle categories on your DQC and it should expire in 2018 or later, 5 years from when you finished the 35 hours periodic training.

On that basis I don’t think you can do mods 2 and 4 even if you want to.

If you look at your DQC card what categories does it list at the bottom in section 9?

mine only says CE so I only have it for goods vehichles.

tachograph:

BertieB:

tachograph:

BertieB:
only done CPC for PSV

Yes for PSV

As you passed the car test in 1994 and you passed cat C before the DCPC started in 2009 you have acquired rights to the DCPC for goods vehicles, I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that when you did the 35 hours periodic training it will have counted for both PCV and HGV vehicles.

I could be wrong but I think you should already have goods vehicle categories on your DQC and it should expire in 2018 or later, 5 years from when you finished the 35 hours periodic training.

On that basis I don’t think you can do mods 2 and 4 even if you want to.

This sounds right to me. Because you passed B in 1994 you will have been given C1. When you did 35h CPC for your PSV it’ll have counted for both C and D and your DQC should list all C and D categories on the back.

I would say it is correct that you cannot do Mod 2 and Mod 4 based on the information given.

As Peter has said, take your CE Trainung with someone who can register the Trainung as periodic training and this will count towards renewing your DQC for both C and D. You shouldn’t need to do the theory etc again

Did you just do 35 hours periodic training or did you do mods 2 + 4 for PCV as well as the 35 hours :question:

ROG:
Did you just do 35 hours periodic training or did you do mods 2 + 4 for PCV as well as the 35 hours :question:

I think I see what you’re getting at, if the OP did PCV mods 2 and 4 and the 35 hours periodic training he will have a DQC that expires in 2023 and won’t be able to add to the periodic hours until around 2018, 5 years from doing mod 4.

Looking at my DQC card: C1,C, C1E,CE expired 2014, whereas D1, D, D1E , DE are valid until 2018.

I did all four modules for my PSV and so far maybe 4/5 CPC courses

BertieB:
Looking at my DQC card: C1,C, C1E,CE expired 2014, whereas D1, D, D1E , DE are valid until 2018.

It looks like you haven’t completed the 35 hours periodic training, it’s going to be difficult for anyone to advise you without knowing how many hours periodic training you’ve completed.

You can check how many hours have been allocated to you here.

You will need to register if you haven’t already, when you register they’ll send you a password by post then you’ll be able to log in and check your periodic training hours.

BertieB:

OK …
It seems as though you did mods 2 + 4 for PCV then (after mod 4 was done) maybe 28 hours of periodic dcpc - that being the case then completing the last 7 hours will trigger a new DQC with both PCV & LGV expiry dated 2023
With a DQC dated 2023 then no more periodic will count until 2018 because only periodic hours done within 5 years of a DQC expiry date can count

You certainly do not need to do LGV initial mods 2 + 4 - just that last 7 hours periodic

I am assuming you only have 28 hours dcpc periodic :question:

tachograph:
You can check how many hours have been allocated to you here.

You will need to register if you haven’t already, when you register they’ll send you a password by post then you’ll be able to log in and check your periodic training hours.

Thanks for the info, didn’t know about this :blush: Anyway it appears I’ve only done 3 courses = 21hrs :unamused:

Do I have to do the remaining 14 hrs before I start my C+E lessons? :confused:

BertieB:
Do I have to do the remaining 14 hrs before I start my C+E lessons? :confused:

HGV training is exempt from the driver CPC so no you don’t have to do the rest of the periodic training before doing cat C+E training, in fact if you look around you will be able to find a cat C+E training course that gives you the other 14 hours periodic training, then you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak :wink:

For a HGV training course to add hours to your periodic training the course must be approved by JAUPT (JAUPT is the body that’s supposed to monitor and regulate DCPC training)

Your best option now is to find a HGV training company who’s courses are JAUPT approved, alternatively you can do another 14 hours periodic training to complete your 35 hours and get the DQC but I’d say it would be cheaper and more convenient for you to find a cat C+E course that’s approved for the DCPC periodic training.

edit: The good news is, I believe that when you’ve completed the other 14 hours training either by doing JAUPT approved cat C+E training or 2 more 7 hour courses you should be DCPC qualified until 2023 :smiley: