Moble phones ? have thay made trucking better or worse?

How have moble phones changed trucking, I mean not just in regards to break downs and calling for dirctions. But on a deeper level than that stuff.

Like how has it changed the industry ? in what ways, what is done diffrently now becasue of them ? and weather thay have relly helped make things better and easyer or have thay relly made the job more dificult and stressfull ? what would happen to the industry if moble phones disapeared over nite and never came back. how would it affect your working life from there on in ?

I personly find techology althow intended to save time and cut down on hassle etc…but in the end techology seems to only lead to an increase in work load and more hassle and more time being lost catering to it. thats how I feel about it some times. Whats other thoughts on this ?

Worse if you work for a sht firm…

God send if you have a decent gaffer and good group of drivers…

I hate them,in the late 1980s I used to phone my then boss from an Italian payphone with a bag-full of Gettones and say “Right, I’m loaded, I’ll phone you when I get to Dover” and that would be the last contact I had with him for two days. I would drive back which ever way I preferred, stop for lunch wherever I wanted, park up in the evening at a favourite watering hole and stop for as long as I wanted.

Nowadays, if you stop for two minutes for a ■■■■, some University educated know-nothing who still has acne will have this flagged up on his computer screen and instantly be on the phone asking you why you didn’t have a ■■■■ before you left.

Technology is the worst thing that has ever happened to this job.

Harry Monk:

Tech is meant to make the job more efficient. In reality it doesn’t,

If some jumped up so called transport planner rings you abusing you for taking a different route to what google says on his monitor, (bear in mind google doesn’t account got weight limits and bridges) then the driver gets ■■■■■■ off and 9 times out of 10 they will then make it their business to knock the crap out of the kit, damage equipment, burn 20-30% more fuel by ragging the arse off the motor and the list goes on…

I have been there with my last job, always chasing my arse, the phone going, constant hassle etc.

Now I’m left to my own devises, my new gaffer knows ill do my work as quickly as possible, he’s chuffed cause the motor is earning more money, less down time, I’m using less fuel etc and I’m not under any pressure… I’m one of the lucky ones…

And, if I remember correctly, the phone in my motor has rung twice in the last 3 months, the gaffer asking if I have any room, and if. So, would I mind heading to Middlesbrough (from Gateshead) to help a customer out…

I’m so laid back these ways I’m horizontal.

So, in my opinion, as a driver, you should be given the keys to your motor, and only rung if its really urgent, trackers should only be used if the motor is nicked, and TMs should be held accountable for stressing drivers out!

I like the fact that I can photograph shoddily loaded cages, email it back to the office and something have been done about it before I get back to the depot. Likewise if I see a sign advising of road closures or roadworks a quick email to planning and hopefully they will amend the schedule to compensate. Then there is the use of online maps, google search to find phone numbers or businesses, the BP app to find a garage where I can use the fuel card. Being able to ring deliveries from the back door when there is no doorbell and saving traipsing round to the front door. If you break down being able to ring in straight away instead of having to look for a phone box.
All this outweighs the occasional “where are you? What time will you be back? Go and take a drop off this broken down driver.” phone call.

Harry Monk:
I hate them,in the late 1980s I used to phone my then boss from an Italian payphone with a bag-full of Gettones and say “Right, I’m loaded, I’ll phone you when I get to Dover” and that would be the last contact I had with him for two days. I would drive back which ever way I preferred, stop for lunch wherever I wanted, park up in the evening at a favourite watering hole and stop for as long as I wanted.

Nowadays, if you stop for two minutes for a ■■■■, some University educated know-nothing who still has acne will have this flagged up on his computer screen and instantly be on the phone asking you why you didn’t have a ■■■■ before you left.

So true Harry,
I remember in the 70’s the only paperwork you needed was the ref no on the back of your ■■■ packet.

Ooh when we all have computers they won’t be any paperwork,

What a ■■■■■■ joke that was/is