Mobile phones

Star down under.:
How hard is it to connect Bluetooth and phone hands-free? Any half decent phone has voice activation. VM works for SMS too.

It does but it’s not always accurate. Like autocorrect

I once typed a message a young lady, a fruity message for getting along well and trying to take it up a notch. I told her I was going to lick her until she screamed like a fire engine :laughing:

Anyway I got nothing back.

Then i looked back at the messages and autocorrect changed “lick” to “kick” so then I knew why.

Still we’re married now so…

Makes you wonder about the catastrophic financial situation an hgv driver can be plunged into for glancing at their phone - they talk about “fines” as if its a mere bagatelle. No sense that they are hammering people who are already destitute and working for an absolute pittance.

robroy:
And another thing. :laughing:
Touching your phone can get you nicked, not sure if true but I’ve read about drivers moving their phone on the dash and getting pulled for it.
So what about these electronic laden abomination new Mercs?
Afaik the radio (and everything else) is touch screen.

So my phone would be in a holder 2’’ above that screen, if I tune the radio I’m all fine and legal if matey and his snouty copper mates rock up alongside me in their unit…BUT.

If I fancy listening to a station via an app, I move my fingers 2’’ up to touch an icon on my phone laid out the same way as the truck screen, the copper looking at me through a camera moistenes his knickers as he has now got me.
And they don’t do it for the money?
Aye right.

His knickers will be be sprayed long before you come across his web.

The A14 around Newmarket and Bury St.Edmunds is again today awash with police vehicles and a shiny DAF truck keeping themselves busy with naughty truck drivers who are tinkering with their phones while driving

adam277:

Build5:

adam277:
The CPC is a good idea how it is done is terrible so we seem to agree. I’m all for tests for CPC although I think it should be more practical as well.
From what I have seen of the CPC it’s not fit for purpose like people who don’t even speak English basically sitting in a room for 8 hours without even understanding a word.

I agree.

And yep, I’ve seen guys who didn’t seem to understand what was being said.

So why is the CPC so basic with so few checks (making sure you understand English as an example) making it virtually worthless?

robroy:
And another thing. :laughing:
Touching your phone can get you nicked, not sure if true but I’ve read about drivers moving their phone on the dash and getting pulled for it.
So what about these electronic laden abomination new Mercs?
Afaik the radio (and everything else) is touch screen.

So my phone would be in a holder 2’’ above that screen, if I tune the radio I’m all fine and legal if matey and his snouty copper mates rock up alongside me in their unit…BUT.

If I fancy listening to a station via an app, I move my fingers 2’’ up to touch an icon on my phone laid out the same way as the truck screen, the copper looking at me through a camera moistenes his knickers as he has now got me.
And they don’t do it for the money?
Aye right.

What’s the first thing your satnav says when you turn it on? What’s the first thing the truck says when interacting with it?

DO NOT USE WHILE DRIVING

You’re not supposed to be configuring the truck while it’s moving. They make it very clear.

Mobile phones should be banned at work we managed without them years ago
there is far too much carnage and devastation lost lives children included
not to mention lost productivity.
ban them at WORK full stop not just in the transport industry

Call me old fashioned but i really would like to see a bit of evidence of the truck being driven dangerously to go with the dangerous driving prosecution…but i fear all it takes now is “his phone touched his finger once - ban him for 12 months that makes the road safer…”

ROG:
My view has always been that the law is wrong

Any conversation/communication on a mobile device be it hand held or hands free takes away concentration from the task of driving

Using a hand held whilst stationary with the handbrake on does not do the above yet is illegal :exclamation:

When will the law makers get real …

I agree.

They won’t get real because the lawmakers & their cohorts want to keep making their calls whilst driving - hence the ‘loophole’.
They always look after themselves first.

Winseer:
Instead of posting about this on here, I’m surprised the “Commissioner” wasn’t copping the whole lot of 'em, as I would be doing, had I his job… :angry:

Using a mobile whilst driving, even a hands-free - is a distraction that can lead to fatal RTCs. That’s not a debatable point - It’s a fact!

If you can’t handle a hands-free call, while driving a truck, I’d suggest you picked the wrong career. Better only drive one of those old London busses, that compartmentalize you from dangerously distracting people, radios, UHF et al.

Build5:

adam277:

Build5:

adam277:
The CPC is a good idea how it is done is terrible so we seem to agree. I’m all for tests for CPC although I think it should be more practical as well.
From what I have seen of the CPC it’s not fit for purpose like people who don’t even speak English basically sitting in a room for 8 hours without even understanding a word.

I agree.

And yep, I’ve seen guys who didn’t seem to understand what was being said.

So why is the CPC so basic with so few checks (making sure you understand English as an example) making it virtually worthless?

Because if it had an exam to pass at the end of it, there would be max half a dozen qualified drivers in the entire UK.

The cpc is utterly useless but for one thing - it seperates you from your money. And that is unfathomable.

The introduction of the CPC was the excuse for me to retire.It does nothing to improve driver standards and is solely to separate you from some of your money.I figured that after 40+years I was already suitably qualified.In addition I already had CPC for both British and International Road Haulage operations.Of course,those count for nothing

Star down under.:

Winseer:
Instead of posting about this on here, I’m surprised the “Commissioner” wasn’t copping the whole lot of 'em, as I would be doing, had I his job… :angry:

Using a mobile whilst driving, even a hands-free - is a distraction that can lead to fatal RTCs. That’s not a debatable point - It’s a fact!

If you can’t handle a hands-free call, while driving a truck, I’d suggest you picked the wrong career. Better only drive one of those old London busses, that compartmentalize you from dangerously distracting people, radios, UHF et al.

He can’t drive and old Routemaster, even they had band 3 radio’s and centrecomm was always on the blower or the garage were etc … winseer likes to whine.

Jeez…
Here we have a plain warning: that apart from the glaringly obvious point that a phone CAN (but doesn’t always and instantly) cause an increase in accidents; we have a warning that the cops are out looking for you misusing phones.
And we have cries of entrapment and victimisation!
Maccie D’s next shortage will be chips, there’s some members here carrying sacks of 'em on their shoulders.

Franglais:
Jeez…
Here we have a plain warning: that apart from the glaringly obvious point that a phone CAN (but doesn’t always and instantly) cause an increase in accidents; we have a warning that the cops are out looking for you misusing phones.
And we have cries of entrapment and victimisation!
Maccie D’s next shortage will be chips, there’s some members here carrying sacks of 'em on their shoulders.

I think if he just posted a few pictures like the police do on twitter of the incident just mentioning how the driver got caught and what a ■■■■ the driver is it would of been fine.
Just too preachy.

Franglais:

Technically…

Micky D’s doesn’t sell chips.

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:

Technically…

Micky D’s doesn’t sell chips.

Mackies don’t sell jockeys ? :open_mouth:

ROG:
Any conversation/communication on a mobile device be it hand held or hands free takes away concentration from the task of driving

Interesting. So if you have a passenger talking to them is ok or not ok? Because you know, people talking live tend to look or try to look at each other while speaking/listennig.

discoman:

Star down under.:

Winseer:

He can’t drive and old Routemaster, even they had band 3 radio’s and centrecomm was always on the blower or the garage were etc … winseer likes to whine.

:laughing: How about one like Cliff Richard drove? :wink:
If it’s so dangerous and distracting, why is electronic communication compulsory for overdimentional and heavy haulage drivers, who need it when most concentration is required?