Mobile phone chargers

I read somewhere that most or at least some car chargers for mobile phones will work on a 24 volt system.
Can anyone confirm this please? I wouldn’t want to blow my iPhone up :open_mouth:
The last time I plugged a telly into the 12 volt socket it blew it up (a previous driver had swapped the wiring from the cigarette lighter to the 12 volt jack!). I’ve got a multi-tester now :smiley:
Many thanks.

What type of truck? I’ve used 12v chargers for phones in Renaults Daf MAN and Mercs (they have a 12/24v dropper switch) all without any problems.

I think it will be a MAN most likely (61 to 63 reg).
I’ve got a multi-tester to confirm supply.

I have an i-phone5, and it charges in 12 and 24v.
I have never had a phone charger that does’nt charge both voltages.

kindle530:

Oh good, thanks kindle530
What about Tomtoms? Can they be plugged into a 24 volt ciggy lighter socket? :confused:
I need to get a jack to cig lighter adaptor anyway.

Quackers:

kindle530:

What about Tomtoms? Can they be plugged into a 24 volt piggy lighter socket? :confused:

Yes no problem.

Excellent! Thanks fingermissing.

My ■■■ lighter in “my” 54 plate Scania is regularly loaded up! Get a proper 24v charger for the phone (to be sure!)…I had a ‘dual voltage’ one from Amazon that was £2.99…lasted about 3hrs! When it exploded whilst charging my 5s, it lit the cab up in just the same way that happens when a headlamp bulb blows…nice bright flash…frightened the life outta me, especially as I’m on nights! TomTom truck probably comes with a 24v lead as standard

I have a griffin small USB type thing to charge ipod/iphone, thought it was just 12v then saw an ad online as I wasn’t sure & it said 12/24, plugged it into the 24 as the 12 was out if action & I couldn’t fix it, no problems, can charge both at the same time too:)

they will all charge direct from 240 volts mains electricity, what makes anyone think they wont charge from 24v or 12v without damage beats me

fingermissing:

Quackers:

kindle530:

What about Tomtoms? Can they be plugged into a 24 volt piggy lighter socket? :confused:

Yes no problem.

+1^^ my tomtom runs on 24v.

green456:
they will all charge direct from 240 volts mains electricity, what makes anyone think they wont charge from 24v or 12v without damage beats me

My now exploded telly worked well when plugged in to 240v wall socket but it only lasted one second when I plugged it in to a 24v ciggy lighter socket.

Thanks all, I now have a charger for my iPhone which is actually marked as 12/24v :smiley: It was a fiver from Asda :unamused:

I was told a while ago that its best to start the engine before plugging in your toys.There could be a power surge after it starts.

I know cranking the engine can cause serious power fluctuations but that didn’t cause my telly to eat itself. It was expecting 12v and got 24v and went ■■■■! A previous driver had swapped the wires on the 12v and 24v connectors.

Stick to big brands. Both my phones are Nokia charged with Nokia chargers. They have coped no problem at all with either ciggie lighter socket or hella socket using a 2 way adapter. I always buy Nokia chargers and double check that they specify 12/24v rather than chancing it. It will tell you on the packaging

Too late, I got one from Asda :smiley:
I’ll see how long it lasts and if it’s short-lived I’ll take your advice!