Mobile Internet in the US...Anyone?!

After enjoying the benefit of having a 3 dongle in England over the winter and I’ve had a Bell one in Canada for over a year now, I thought I’d try and get one for the US as I like to have internet access for facebook, google earthing places I’m going and to check my PARS status etc but I hate parking in noisy truckstops at night and having to pay for wifi while parked next to idiots with their truck on high idle with fan kicking in and out every five minutes etc…

So, I’m at the Iowa 80 truckstop tonight and they have a Verizon kiosk type thing inside so I went and asked them about it. I dont want a contract and their pre-paid dongle has the most ridiculously small coverage area centered around 10 major cities and thats it, anything out of that area is charged at roaming rates! Even my Bell Canada dongle covers ALL of Canada and Canada isn’t known for value for money, especially where internet/phones are concerned so I’m very surprised at the nonsense Verizon had to offer.

Does any one know of a proper mobile internet service in the US I can get on pre pay / pay as you go ? Surely theres got to be something?

Rich Browne (Longwayround) has it and it costs about $90.00 a month (Verizon) so I don’t recomend that, I just use free WIFI whereever I can get it or if I am in the NYC area I can use Optimum WIFI because some kind soul who shall remain nameless has given me his ID and password to use (nice bloke). I will not pay for it at any truck stop.
By the way, enjoy Iowa 80, I like that one.
A lot of rest areas in this part of the US have free WIFI and some Mobil on the runs stops do also.

Virgin Broadband from Walmart, you get 5GB for $40 (it may have gone up to $60) that has pretty decent coverage. The dongle is about $100 to start off :wink:

newmercman:
Virgin Broadband from Walmart, you get 5GB for $40 (it may have gone up to $60) that has pretty decent coverage. The dongle is about $100 to start off :wink:

Thank you Sir. I’ll have a look next time I’m at a Walmart.