MMD Portsmouth (Mainland Market Deliveries)

MMD were a good firm to give back loads to as their motors were usually available early in the morning. Some customers would ask for them by name for that reason!

Mercedes.

Mainland Market Deliveries trailer. Maybe this was the day job! I saw them working the Fruit & Veg markets at night but cant remember ever seeing a driving school unit on the front.

sandway:
Mainland Market Deliveries trailer. Maybe this was the day job! I saw them working the Fruit & Veg markets at night but cant remember ever seeing a driving school unit on the front.

Hi Brian,

That pic was taken in Jersey,and Powells Driving School is still going.

Regards
Richard

A few post back I posted some photos which we were told were taken on the old road outside Calais. Well, here’s another one. Not sure if he’s chasing a ferry! Certainly leaning it over as if he’s in a hurry. Would love to know who the photographer was?

sandway:
A few post back I posted some photos which we were told were taken on the old road outside Calais. Well, here’s another one. Not sure if he’s chasing a ferry! Certainly leaning it over as if he’s in a hurry. Would love to know who the photographer was?

Jeeze!! How did that lot stay on?

sandway:

Those photos on that roundabout have to be in the UK, as there approaching the roundabout the wrong way to be in France

Kempston:

sandway:

Jeeze!! How did that lot stay on?

In my yoof I had a D600 on straw cart but before that ran a TK Bedford which was far worse on roundabouts leaning than the Ford but you got used to the sway and it nearly always came back up but when I graduated to an Albion ergo cabbed 16 tonner one day it kept going over and came to rest against a telephone pole, the saddle which held the spring fractured and let go and the ropes were so tight we could not release the dolly’s so had to cut the rope, back then loading was all handraulic with pitchforks too, Buzzer

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the site and was just wondering if anyone has any pictures, stories or memorys of Mainland Market Deliveries out of Portsmouth docks. i spent a large amount of my younger years with my dad on there in both their SK Merc’s and the their ERF EC14’s. All comments welcome.
Thanks Mouse

posted this one a good while back of the skate outfit.

I backloaded off them a couple of times in the 60s,C.I. tomatoes.Their office used to be on Hampshire Terrace IIRC.

Think they used to import flowers from the Channel Islands that used to go through CargoFlora in Hayes.
We used to load all the south west drops out of CargoFlora and i’m sure i’ve seen Mainland Marketing on the notes.

cheers guys, i remember my dad doing the flowers, my mum loved it :smiley:
we usedto load tomatoe’s out of southampton docks. absolute nightmare when one went over :frowning: had some really good blokes on there, most still doing fruit and veg for Fowler Welch, Philsons Haulage, etc.
used to love sleeping across the engine bay in the ERF, now im doing my LGV ill have my own bed :smiley:

Are MMD not still trading ?, thought i saw one of thier motors last week.

yes they still trade, but now its MMD Shipping Ltd and not Mainland Market Deliveries. if i remember correctly they are owned by the Council?
No longer have yellow and white cabs just white with blue signwritting.

Probably not much help, but between 87 and 90 when at Transflash/Nedlloyd in Bradford, we had an old boy called Bill from MMD in twice a week collecting the CI groupage load, ever such a nice fellah, would’ve been early 50s, short with dark hair

thanks for the comments guys, does anyone have any pictures of the SK’s or ERF’s? or are there any ex drivers around??

anbody who has worked for mmd will know these 2 words

ROGER HONEY

best bloke ever in my opinion.

others i worked with there

butter balls

albie

bacon roll

brian bennett

to name a few long time ago but good days earnt some serious good money on there. they also owned lockwoods from boston way cant rember exactly where.

thanks for that slicker, i live just around the corner from Roger Honey, lovely bloke, i remember butter ball, but none of the others, do you remember Dave Aubrey, Terry Young, Joe 90, Martin Fewings??

Used to backload regular out of MMD
Done a full days work sat in there 2/3hrs go & get your paperwork has to be in Gateshead market 3am driver :unamused: :unamused: