MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

16 ton GVW 24 ft.Ali flat 6LW/DB 6spd/Eaton axle PERFECTION!

Another tough tractor we ran, Mk1 180 ■■■■■■■■■■ 6spd/Kirkstall BDR axle.

here’s one in a lovely Brunswick green

revman:
here’s one in a lovely Brunswick green

Is that “fast eddie” at the wheel? It looks a bit like him!

Dennis you read my mind pal I have been through dozens of thread titles tonight looking for a thread on Atkinson so I could place a few pics on that I have so here they are.

Can you remember Dennis how many Atki’s you ran in your fleet altogether and what made you go in favour of them before say Foden/ERF/Leyland/AEC which I think at the time were their main rivals

Bewick Attkinson Borderer.jpg

This company TTX are based on Seddons old land at Oldham and this is one of his restored lorrys.
Atkinson TTX of Oldham.jpg

Now you know what that little lump behind your left lug 'ole is John,a transmitter!! You’ve put me on the spot now mate from memory we ran into the teens somewhere about,both Gardner and ■■■■■■■ but mainly ■■■■■■■ there was 8 new ones from memory and they had 205’s in the first 2 then 220’s.I always reckoned that the Atki was the finest British motor but I did buy ERF’s,Seddons and Guys mainly when I couldn’t wait for an Atki! And these other motors did us a good job as well.However I wouldn’t touch the big Leylands/AEC’s and Fodens with a barge pole! I’m looking forward to some cracking pics on this thread from some of the Lads and Bubbs and yourself!! Cheers Dennis.

Why not spend a few minutes going back through the TNUK archives and look on the Atkinson thread which ran for a good few years?

It saves replicating everything.

I have a few Dennis but they are all motors from shows that have been restored but you never know someone may remember the reg plates if they were owned by someone else in there working days and that could give us a good bit of banter.I will put them on if thats ok with you (if not just let me know and I will remove them)

marky:
Why not spend a few minutes going back through the TNUK archives and look on the Atkinson thread which ran for a good few years?

I had a look for that marky because I thought I had seen one somewhere but couldn’t find it :blush: (never mind) :unamused:

Thats me in the Hi-Viz jacket taking pics,next to my Yellow ERF B series at Huddersfield Halloween show…(Hoyer Atki pic)

Stanfield:

marky:

I had a look for that marky because I thought I had seen one somewhere but couldn’t find it :blush: (never mind) :unamused:

You’re right John - I spent a while looking and I can’t find it either now :blush:

That was quite a substantial thread too - it carried a lot of pictures and info.

Roberts Transport of Knighton Radnorshire ran a big fleet of Atkinsons.

I think the Lawrence 8-legger SWW 268M is ex Cowgills Skipton.All great photos although I never drove one,all AEC for me in the 60s and 70s.

Does anybody have any photos of or information on the four-wheeler Mark 1s that John Smiths (Tadcaster) had? They were in a dark green livery showing the ‘Magnet’ logo & branding. I believe there is at least one in this livery in preservation.

Any info would be appreciated as my Uncle now owns one of them. His is 5LW / 5-Speed DB / Eaton 2-Speed / full air brakes.

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

Thanks for starting this thread Bewick and the others who are contributing. I was never fortunate enough to drive one of these (too young I suppose ha ha) but having grown up in South Wales and regularly seeing the John Raymond fleet, I fell in love with these and have always thought they were the best. I was fortunate to thumb a lift of a JR driver when I had broken down at Ross on Wye, but it was about 11pm and raining cats and dogs all the way home, so not the best way to appreciate a great truck. Once again thanks guys and lets see lots more photos please.

Is this the one Andrew (Pebbles 74) if so it was at Harrogate this weekend on the Trans Pennine Run + its the 1st time I have seen it at any of the rallies I have been to.

A few here from the days they were earning for the boss :wink:
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CXc00953-12
CXc00953-12.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CXc00957-09
CXc00957-09.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/JLC00201-06
JLC00201-06.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CXC00786
CXc00786.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CX00976-30
CX00976-30.jpg
transportphotos.com/road/photo/CX00954-34
CX00954-34.jpg
Will put some more on later ( the wifes throwing daggers) :unamused: :laughing: she loves lorries really :wink:

Stanfield:
Is this the one Andrew (Pebbles 74) if so it was at Harrogate this weekend on the Trans Pennine Run + its the 1st time I have seen it at any of the rallies I have been to.

Thanks John! Yes, that looks about right.

I’ll call my Uncle to night to see what the Reg No of his one is. His is in a considerably poorer state than this fine looking example, but it is complete & he has some of the original service & maintenance records! I must take some photos when I’m next in Devon.

Thanks again, Andrew.

One more from yesterdays show.This is a cracker.