MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

kevmac47:
Tyne Tees Run Sunday. The Borderer’s ■■■■■■■ “crack” took me back 40 + years!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mk1 with a Rolls lump. 0

The No1 & No2 best Atkinson restorations there have ever been. Period.

marky:
And I remember seeing the ‘Buccaneer’ radiator plate sat on a bookshelf in OMT’s dining room many years ago - while waiting for the off for anothe weekend of smoky custard, crinkly coats and beds wi ridges in!!

The good old days!!

I don’t think I knew that OMT had liberated that! It went onto a Mk.3 when MVD was sold. I wonder what became of it.

marky:
MVD432L started life as a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Borderer at Monkland Motors, which was a member company of the TDG group. When TDG closed them down, this wagon and several others were bought by Tom Riding and they began their second life at W&J Riding. When that life was over, MVD was sold to John Killingbeck, who removed the ■■■■■■■ engine, replaced it with a ‘breathed-on’ Gardner 6LXB and added the second steer and Ridings sleeper cab. It then went to Kevin Dennis, who sold it on to Ted Hannon - I believe without an engine. It then had a Gardner 6LX fitted and is as it appears today. While at Killingbecks, the late Michael Deuchars gave it the name ‘Buccaneer’, given that the Mk2 named range never included a Chinese Six tractor, and thought it deserved a distinct name to carry on the tradition (Leader, Borderer, Defender, Searcher, Venturer)

PS one small correction: it was Dr John who sold it without an engine, not Kev Dennis: John sold the uprated 6LXB to Walsh & Dearden (for £1200, as I recall), intending to scrap the lorry, but it was then bought by Ted Hannon, and who installed a 6LX which I believe he had sourced himself.

Ted later sold the motor to Kev Dennis, in an exchange for the ex-Graham Adams View-Line which Ted actually drove back to Scotland.

I stood on the back of the Buccaneer at Kev’s first sale in 1997, and managed to keep my hand in my trousers on the day: having acquired JRN 38H and with Bowker 34 coming back together, I managed to suppress my great ■■■■ for the Buccaneer! And for the Mines Rescue Borderer too. IIRC, the Buccaneer sold for £3000, without an MOT

kevmac47:
Tyne Tees Run Sunday. The Borderer’s ■■■■■■■ “crack” took me back 40 + years!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mk1 with a Rolls lump. 0

kev I think the jarrrrow angle steel mill had one was it monarch transport? that did the loading ,a red mk1 sure it was. :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

CRA 100G Derbyshire stone mk1 Atkinson had rr engine fitted double shifted mainly glass works, also filler dust to Tarmac batching plants eg Kendal

8LXBV8BRIAN:

kevmac47:

kev I think the jarrrrow angle steel mill had one was it monarch transport? that did the loading ,a red mk1 sure it was. :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Your right about Monarch loading trailers at Jarrow Mill Brian, but I’ve no recollection of what was in the Atki shunt tractor. Good to see you back on TN. :smiley: :smiley: I hope things are improving for you. I’ll call in to see you again shortly. Regards Kev.

240 Gardner:

marky:
And I remember seeing the ‘Buccaneer’ radiator plate sat on a bookshelf in OMT’s dining room many years ago - while waiting for the off for anothe weekend of smoky custard, crinkly coats and beds wi ridges in!!

The good old days!!

I don’t think I knew that OMT had liberated that! It went onto a Mk.3 when MVD was sold. I wonder what became of it.

I believe it was ‘liberated’ at, or just before the auction - which brings us round to the infamous Mars Bar & ‘Last Supper’ picture…

marky:

240 Gardner:

marky:

The good old days!!

I believe it was ‘liberated’ at, or just before the auction - which brings us round to the infamous Mars Bar & ‘Last Supper’ picture…

And here it is, in situ:

Atkinson Searcher VTD 495M by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

marky:

240 Gardner:

marky:

The good old days!!

And here it is, in situ:

Atkinson Searcher VTD 495M by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Yep - the very same bit of Killingbeck history right there.

J.T.Hunt

J.T.Hunt

F & D Burton Ltd Cannock.

New Atkinsons heading down to the Commercial Vehicle Motor Show,

One that got away… the only sleeper-converted Borderer on the Bowker fleet, and the very last Atkinson they bought, it worked as a local shunter in Cardiff initially, before gravitating to general haulage in Blackburn.

W.H Bowker Atkinson Borderer Reg No GFV 819N. by Paul Anderson, on Flickr

It was retired to yard shunting duties at H J Heinz at Kitt Green (‘The Beanery’) in 1980. When there was an urgent requirement for a roadworthy MOT shunter at Blackburn three years later, it was retrieved from Kitt Green and successfully tested after just three days’ preparation.

GFV 819N Atkinson Borderer by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

It soldiered on for almost three more years until the camshaft cried “enough” one day, and it was scrapped in January 1987. Sadly, although I was offered it for nothing, complete with 11 months’ test, a solid cab and 6 new tyres, I had nowhere to keep it and no money to fix it, not even the £500 that John Killingbeck quoted for a used ■■■■■■■ 220 and so, sadly, it went under the hot spanner. :cry:

GFV 819N Atkinson Borderer T3446C by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

Nice bit of history there Chris on the previous page, shame it never survived but as they say ‘you cant save them all’.

E.Swindells & Son Ltd ■■■■■■■ powered Atkinson Mark II tractor unit with no reg plate seen here parked up in Middleton in Teesdale.

W & J Riding Atkinson Mk I Silver Knight 4x2 tractor unit Reg No VTF 270D is pictured in the centre of Thirsk North Yorkshire in 1968
as the driver looks for a ■■■■■■■■■■■■ to park up for the night.

It is hauling a 40 foot tandem axle trailer with a full 20 ton load of Plas Bins on board collected from the ICI plant at
Wilton on Teesside destined for Wythenshawe near Manchester.

VTF 270D, a new addition to the fleet in 1966, was the first one of Riding’s Atkinson’s to be fitted with a David Brown splitter
gearbox to help the under powered Gardner 150 engine cope a bit better.

Click on picture to view full size.

moomooland:
Nice bit of history there Chris on the previous page, shame it never survived but as they say ‘you cant save them all’.

0E.Swindells & Son Ltd ■■■■■■■ powered Atkinson Mark II tractor unit with no reg plate seen here parked up in Middleton in Teesdale.

Thanks Paul - I suppose if I’d had no.35, then we would never have restored 34, so it’s swings and roundabout.

Your photo would be Swindells of Piercebridge, I think? Double parking brake system, I see!

Atkinson selection from July 1997 - I’ve a feeling that Marky took this photo

JRN 38H July 97 B.jpg