MK1 & MK11 Atkinsons,a class on their own

old firm I worked for, but not when this was new, :open_mouth: :laughing: photo taken out side of the shipping office at Shotton Steelworks

IMG_1344.JPG

This is one my Dad drove for Midlands Storage in the 60s

Was Midland Storage owned by McKelvie of Barrhead Scotland ?

GBW:
Was Midland Storage owned by McKelvie of Barrhead Scotland ?

Hey up GBW Midlands Storage along with McKelvie and a host of other well known transport companies were owned by TDG (Transport Development Group)
Cheers Gary

moomooland:

A&L possibly the largest operator of Atkinsons in Scotland back then.

Dave…

dave docwra:

moomooland:

Dave…

Harry Lawson, Dobsons and Russells might’ve had something to say about that stat…

moomooland:

Agnew & Lythgoe were a regular visitor to the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie in the 1960s & 1970s.
Agnews did most of the Guernsey Tomato work to Belfast Fruit & Vegetable market on behalf of
Baillies. Most of the time, Agnews took Baillies Trailers across to Belfast, but after one of Baillies
trailers was seen on the TV News, on its side, being used as a barrier during the “Troubles”, all of
the Belfast traffic was transhipped onto Agnews Trailers at either Wigan depot, or at Agnews which
I seem to recall was at Heywood or Rochdale. A firm that did at least one load to Glasgow for us was
Smith Of Whiteinch, they had a depot in the greater Wigan area, as did several other Scottish hauliers,
Harry Lawsons at Haydock, Smith Of Maddiston at Newton-Le-Willows, W.H.Malcolm at Lostock Hall.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Smiths of Whiteinch used to backload bagged flour from Ainscoughs at Burscough. Their motors used to look like proper bags of rags when they pitched up to load.

Ray Smyth:

moomooland:

Agnew & Lythgoe were a regular visitor to the Wigan depot of Robert Baillie in the 1960s & 1970s.
Agnews did most of the Guernsey Tomato work to Belfast Fruit & Vegetable market on behalf of
Baillies. Most of the time, Agnews took Baillies Trailers across to Belfast, but after one of Baillies
trailers was seen on the TV News, on its side, being used as a barrier during the “Troubles”, all of
the Belfast traffic was transhipped onto Agnews Trailers at either Wigan depot, or at Agnews which
I seem to recall was at Heywood or Rochdale. A firm that did at least one load to Glasgow for us was
Smith Of Whiteinch, they had a depot in the greater Wigan area, as did several other Scottish hauliers,
Harry Lawsons at Haydock, Smith Of Maddiston at Newton-Le-Willows, W.H.Malcolm at Lostock Hall.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Agnew & Lythgoe had a depot on Rugby Road in Rochdale.

marky:

dave docwra:

moomooland:

Dave…

Harry Lawson, Dobsons and Russells might’ve had something to say about that stat…

Hi, I did cautiosly use the word possibly, would you or anyone else know the fleet sizes of the above companies in the early 70s.

Dave…

dave docwra:

marky:

dave docwra:

moomooland:

Dave…

Hi, I did cautiosly use the word possibly, would you or anyone else know the fleet sizes of the above companies in the early 70s.

Dave…

Indeed… not to mention W H Malcolm, Gibb’s of Fraserburgh and Pollock of Musselburgh

Terry Naylors ex J T Hunt ballast tractor

revman:
0Terry Naylors ex J T Hunt ballast tractor

And here, as nature intended:

JRR 39D JT HUNT by Wayne Buck, on Flickr

Seen on Bank Holiday monday at the Smallwood Vintage Rally

Took these photo’s today at start of the Tyne Tees run first one is known as a Killingbeck special, no doubt Chris 240 Gardner knows more about it.

Couple more.

MVD432L started life as a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Borderer at Monkland Motors, which was a member company of the TDG group. When TDG closed them down, this wagon and several others were bought by Tom Riding and they began their second life at W&J Riding. When that life was over, MVD was sold to John Killingbeck, who removed the ■■■■■■■ engine, replaced it with a ‘breathed-on’ Gardner 6LXB and added the second steer and Ridings sleeper cab. It then went to Kevin Dennis, who sold it on to Ted Hannon - I believe without an engine. It then had a Gardner 6LX fitted and is as it appears today. While at Killingbecks, the late Michael Deuchars gave it the name ‘Buccaneer’, given that the Mk2 named range never included a Chinese Six tractor, and thought it deserved a distinct name to carry on the tradition (Leader, Borderer, Defender, Searcher, Venturer)

Tyne Tees Run Sunday. The Borderer’s ■■■■■■■ “crack” took me back 40 + years!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Mk1 with a Rolls lump.

marky:
MVD432L started life as a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Borderer at Monkland Motors, which was a member company of the TDG group. When TDG closed them down, this wagon and several others were bought by Tom Riding and they began their second life at W&J Riding. When that life was over, MVD was sold to John Killingbeck, who removed the ■■■■■■■ engine, replaced it with a ‘breathed-on’ Gardner 6LXB and added the second steer and Ridings sleeper cab. It then went to Kevin Dennis, who sold it on to Ted Hannon - I believe without an engine. It then had a Gardner 6LX fitted and is as it appears today. While at Killingbecks, the late Michael Deuchars gave it the name ‘Buccaneer’, given that the Mk2 named range never included a Chinese Six tractor, and thought it deserved a distinct name to carry on the tradition (Leader, Borderer, Defender, Searcher, Venturer)

All spot on, and it has now changed hands again, and is back in the North West.

Lots of photos in its various stage of life at wjriding.webs.com/regnomvd432l.htm

Also:
W & J Riding Atkinson Borderer Reg No MVD 432L by Paul Anderson, on Flickr
MVD432L by Bob Taylor, on Flickr

And I remember seeing the ‘Buccaneer’ radiator plate sat on a bookshelf in OMT’s dining room many years ago - while waiting for the off for anothe weekend of smoky custard, crinkly coats and beds wi ridges in!!

The good old days!!