Mixing digital and paper

I spend much of my time working in the yard for which I do a manual trace on a paper chart every day. I frequently have to collect vehicles from the garage for which I just pop my chart in and away I go. When our digital vehicles arrive what am I supposed to do? obviously I will need to use the digi card, so should I make manual entries every time I put the card in to keep the day up to date and also make them on my paper chart and then finish the day off on my paper chart? Also if I do this, the next day when I pop the card in will I have to make more manual entries on the card to finish off the previous day?

Another random question, I went from Daventry to East Mids services, handed the vehicle to another driver, hung around there for a couple of hours until his broken truck was recovered and then he picked me up and took me back to Daventry with him. When I filled in the chart I put the end location on the front as being East Mids Services, for which I got an infringement for “Start/End Location Missing/Incorrect” I know the obvious schoolboy error is that I should have put Castle Donnington as the end location. I recorded break and POA for the remainder of the day, our trainer told me that because I finished my shift in Daventry I should have put the end location as Daventry. Now surely this cannot be right, I ceased driving the vehicle at Castle Donington so surely that should have been my end point for the front of the tacho.

tofer:
I spend much of my time working in the yard for which I do a manual trace on a paper chart every day. I frequently have to collect vehicles from the garage for which I just pop my chart in and away I go. When our digital vehicles arrive what am I supposed to do? obviously I will need to use the digi card, so should I make manual entries every time I put the card in to keep the day up to date and also make them on my paper chart and then finish the day off on my paper chart? Also if I do this, the next day when I pop the card in will I have to make more manual entries on the card to finish off the previous day?

I’m assuming that you will be using analogue and digital tachographs in the same day, if this is the case it would be easier to continue as you are and make all manual entries on the chart and only use the driver card for recording the time you’re driving vehicles fitted with digital tachographs.

You can do the manual entries on the digital tachograph if you want but what you should not do is make the same manual entries on both the driver card and the chart.

If you will only be driving vehicles fitted with digital tachographs then the easiest option would almost certaily be to do all manual entries on the driver card.

tofer:
Another random question, I went from Daventry to East Mids services, handed the vehicle to another driver, hung around there for a couple of hours until his broken truck was recovered and then he picked me up and took me back to Daventry with him. When I filled in the chart I put the end location on the front as being East Mids Services, for which I got an infringement for “Start/End Location Missing/Incorrect” I know the obvious schoolboy error is that I should have put Castle Donnington as the end location. I recorded break and POA for the remainder of the day, our trainer told me that because I finished my shift in Daventry I should have put the end location as Daventry. Now surely this cannot be right, I ceased driving the vehicle at Castle Donington so surely that should have been my end point for the front of the tacho.

The chart is to record your activities not the vehicles so I would say that your trainer was correct in saying that you should have put the end location as Daventry if that’s where you finished the shift.

Aha, thanks for that one tachograph, I always thought it was where the vehicle ended up. But then again every time I’ve left a vehicle somewhere I’ve had another one to bring back. So when I hop in a digi vehicle I just pop card in, say no to manual entries and go. I’m assuming I’ll still have to put the shift start time in though? It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a digital vehicle.

The shift start time will be on the chart if you’ve made a manual entry on one.

It’s a long time since I’ve started a shift without doing a manual entry on the digital tachograph, but as far as I can remember if you say no to manual entries it will just kick off from the time the card is inserted.

i worked for a truck rental company and move a lot of trucks around with chart and digital,
if i was driving a chart truck all the work for the day would go on that chart,if i were using to truck one with chart and one with digital we were told to fill in the manual entries on the last type used that day

something like this

if in the morning you drove a chart one all entries would go on that chart but say i had a digital for the rest of the day, any manual entries had to be put on the card for that day if for instance i use two truck on digital and had to take the card out and wait for the other truck i would have to book the POA down on the digital card but if the truck i was waiting for was a chart one the POA would go on the chart.

at one point in a day i had driven up to 10 trucks you can see how hard it was to keep track of al the manual entries

what i did to make it easy for me was to put the manual entries on the next truck whether it be chart or digital

Most yard shunters, fitters or warehouse staff never put a card in, so they are hardly likely to use a digital card either.

I just did a manual entry as the regular driver, on a monday morning if the truck had been to the workshops. I never had a problem in France with it

I’m a full time shunter.Saturday was my first trip on the road in 6 months.
I drove 3 motors,2 digi card i tacho.I put my card in the first then changed over to the second and i put the tacho in the third. The start place i put, was where i picked the lorry up from and took the tacho out and the end of the shift.
One of our drivers said that i should make a manual record of every day i work,Because i drive a tug.

Part of our site takes me out onto a public lane,so where do i stand when i drive the road going trucks on the road around the site to load them then park them??

Tonyb

You should definately be doing a chart for every day you work. Even though the regs say you only need to show name, date and start finish our place insist on a full manual trace because they are monitored for compliance with working time breaks. We are always having to take stuff to the garage and collect it so even though I’m shunting I drive under regs most days.

tonyb70:
I’m a full time shunter.Saturday was my first trip on the road in 6 months.
I drove 3 motors,2 digi card i tacho.I put my card in the first then changed over to the second and i put the tacho in the third. The start place i put, was where i picked the lorry up from and took the tacho out and the end of the shift.
One of our drivers said that i should make a manual record of every day i work,Because i drive a tug.

Part of our site takes me out onto a public lane,so where do i stand when i drive the road going trucks on the road around the site to load them then park them??

Tonyb

delboytwo:
i worked for a truck rental company and move a lot of trucks around with chart and digital,
if i was driving a chart truck all the work for the day would go on that chart,if i were using to truck one with chart and one with digital we were told to fill in the manual entries on the last type used that day

something like this

if in the morning you drove a chart one all entries would go on that chart but say i had a digital for the rest of the day, any manual entries had to be put on the card for that day if for instance i use two truck on digital and had to take the card out and wait for the other truck i would have to book the POA down on the digital card but if the truck i was waiting for was a chart one the POA would go on the chart.

at one point in a day i had driven up to 10 trucks you can see how hard it was to keep track of al the manual entries

what i did to make it easy for me was to put the manual entries on the next truck whether it be chart or digital

As a local shunter can you not use the Domestic Exemption, ie. Less than 50km radius from base & less than 4 hours driving per day?

Use it or lose it as they say, there are moves afoot to alter or adjust the current regulations

Here is a new consultation document hot off the press. Date published: 21 July 2009

dft.gov.uk/consultations/ope … tation.pdf

The above link has just come to my inbox.

Wheel Nut:
As a local shunter can you not use the Domestic Exemption, ie. Less than 50km radius from base & less than 4 hours driving per day?

cos we had depots all over the UK we were required to use EU regs all the time,TM in charge said domestic hours don’t work for them as you can only do 11 hours duty in a day and some times i would need to use my max hours for that day constantly every week i would do 15 hour days 3 times a week as i was the only depot driver, and there would not let me work every sat as there were very up on RT/WTD

Do you ever drive for more than a total of 4 hours in a day :question: