Mixer Driver - Rates?

Hi all, I’m getting the impression that mixer drivers are ‘uncommon’ somewhat which would suggest they’re relatively niche - just wondering if anyone could shed some light on what sort of rates mixer drivers command?

Any insight on what the job is like would be helpful too!

Cheers in advance.

I was offered a mixer job recently was 12ph monday friday

It’s horrible if you have to climb inside the mixer and chisel off the dried-up concrete.

GasGas:
It’s horrible if you have to climb inside the mixer and chisel off the dried-up concrete.

Yeah especially if its still turning.

kr79:

Bang the money for London area, the problem you will have Freddie is when you add your margin the client will chuck his toys out of the pram “game over”! most concrete firms have a list of part timers, retired guys, ex mixer O/D’s etc who will cover a few shifts in, my limited experiance of over 30 years,agency drivers and mixers are not a good fit(not slagging off agency drivers as some of my retired mates do trunking on agency) a degree of product knowledge is required as to the mix, type of cement ie OP & slump etc also an Epic or MPQC card will be required as well as other local requirements(Crossrail in London) but if it’s a country plant then the jobs a good un,** pea soup&pebbles to the local farmers & house builders(**the cleaned up version of a mixer driver& batchers joke)

kr79:

Have the Hackney firm still got mixers, a fellah we knew as “Porky Pig” went to to work there a while back 4or5 years ago not been seen since then :smiley: :smiley:

FarnboroughBoy11:

GasGas:

Yeah especially if its still turning.

Lol! Lorry drivers treadmill!!

splitshift:

kr79:

Bang the money for London area, the problem you will have Freddie is when you add your margin the client will chuck his toys out of the pram “game over”! most concrete firms have a list of part timers, retired guys, ex mixer O/D’s etc who will cover a few shifts in, my limited experiance of over 30 years,agency drivers and mixers are not a good fit(not slagging off agency drivers as some of my retired mates do trunking on agency) a degree of product knowledge is required as to the mix, type of cement ie OP & slump etc also an Epic or MPQC card will be required as well as other local requirements(Crossrail in London) but if it’s a country plant then the jobs a good un,** pea soup&pebbles to the local farmers & house builders(**the cleaned up version of a mixer driver& batchers joke)

Good advice. Same goes for our line of work (animal feeds, mostly bulk blowers) there’s a lot that can go horribly wrong.

splitshift:

kr79:

Have the Hackney firm still got mixers, a fellah we knew as “Porky Pig” went to to work there a while back 4or5 years ago not been seen since then :smiley: :smiley:

Yeah based at barking got about 8 of them.

Real name wasnt john or dave was it?

Sidevalve:

splitshift:

kr79:

Good advice. Same goes for our line of work (animal feeds, mostly bulk blowers) there’s a lot that can go horribly wrong.

And plant.

Although it’s not just agency drivers who ■■■■ things up. The bridge strike at Kelvedon last week was a driver who’d just moved from a plant firm to a firm with their own plant. Same sort of work, different equipment but it all went wrong in a big way.

kr79:
Real name wasnt john or dave was it?

Yeah it was John just been told this morning he did’nt last too long and left do’nt know why :laughing: :laughing:
BTW Freddie concrete firms & major construction sites are ■■■■ about H&S you may have to provide hi-viz clothing (EN 471 Class 3), gloves, safety specs as well as the usual hard hat & lace up safety boots (no riggers allowed) to potential drivers

Not sure why. He drinks in the same pub we do he drives a tipper now.

For anyone in the Andover area, Russell Proud have had a vacancy on Newsquests’ job pages. I think Prouds’ run for Tarmac Topmix.