Mixed-up hours + mixed-up regulations = mixed-up brain. Help

I am a recently qualified driver and have not done a DCPC yet as my employer is arranging it for me.

Meanwhile, can someone give me some basic advice so I get off on the right foot — and I will add to my knowledge as I go?

I am a recovery driver and do both local and long distance work. To add to the confusion, I am a relief driver on call-out so my hours can be anytime of the day or night.

Day one’s work may be a simple collect/deliver e.g. Teesside to Coventry, maybe over 10 hours, so I use my digi-card and life is fairly simple.
Day two may be three or four local recoveries (within 100kms of base) again taking 10 hours, so I don’t use my digi-card.
Day three may be a local recovery then a delivery over 100kms away. So I insert my digi-card as soon as I know I am going to be over 100kms from base and it stays in until I finish the shift.

1. Am I right in doing the above or should I use my digi-card at all times and set it to Out Of Scope when appropriate?

2. How should I record (and keep track of) my total hours?

3. Having used my digi-card, how long do I remain under EU Regulations?

I work for a reputable company. Other drivers say, “Don’t worry, the TM will keep records and keep you right.” But I know this answer won’t wash if I get a VOSA or police stop.

I have other questions but, as I said, these points are just for starters. No doubt I will soon be back with more.

I would appreciate fairly simple answers if possible please, or a pointer to something that would explain things to me.

Thanks
Alan

Although not a legal requirement do number 1 - use digi-card at all times and set it to Out Of Scope when appropriate

That way all your records will be in one place and easy to refer to for you, the boss and the authorities

1. Am I right in doing the above or should I use my digi-card at all times and set it to Out Of Scope when appropriate?

2. How should I record (and keep track of) my total hours?

As far as I’m aware you’re on domestic regulations when doing recovery work within 100km, I can’t find an exemption anyway, so are you using a log book to record the work ?

1. Having used my digi-card, how long do I remain under EU Regulations?

On any day that you drive to EU regulations you should comply with the daily rest requirement.
In any week when you drive to EU regulations you should comply with the weekly rest requirement.

On days that you drive to EU regulations any work that falls outside of EU regulations should be recorded as other work.

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I will no doubt be back with more confusion. :slight_smile: