Mixed domestic and EU driver's hours regulations

Could someone point me in the right direction to find out what rules must be followed when doing mostly domestic driving and the occasional bit of eu driving

I am a bit rusty on this… but as far as I remember if in any working week for any time you fall under the scope of EU regs then for the rest of that weekly period you have to follow EU regs and cannot fall back onto domestic.

however I am sure those more knowledgable will be along shortly to either call me an idiot or confirm

Rikki-UK:
I am a bit rusty on this… but as far as I remember if in any working week for any time you fall under the scope of EU regs then for the rest of that weekly period you have to follow EU regs and cannot fall back onto domestic.

however I am sure those more knowledgable will be along shortly to either call me an idiot or confirm

I can confirm he is an idiot :laughing:

Only Joking Mr Checker :wink:

Talk about confusing!!! So if you did 4x 11hr domestic shifts, you could do 1 11hr ec shift aslong as you had the eu rest period between shifts throughout the whole week?

Timothy:
Talk about confusing!!! So if you did 4x 11hr domestic shifts, you could do 1 11hr ec shift aslong as you had the eu rest period between shifts throughout the whole week?

No, only on the day you drive under EU rules. Obviously you would need at least 9 hours between finishing your domestic shift and starting your EU one other wise the domestic and EU will be lumped together and limit your duty time for your EU shift.

In the scenario you detail you could do the 4 domestic shifts, have 9 off then do an EU shift of up to 15 hours, followed by a 9 hour daily rest, then back on domestic if you wished. You would need to take a weekly rest period for the week though.

Coffeeholic:

Timothy:

No, only on the day you drive under EU rules. Obviously you would need at least 9 hours between finishing your domestic shift and starting your EU one other wise the domestic and EU will be lumped together and limit your duty time for your EU shift.

In the scenario you detail you could do the 4 domestic shifts, have 9 off then do an EU shift of up to 15 hours, followed by a 9 hour daily rest, then back on domestic if you wished. You would need to take a weekly rest period for the week though.

Okay thanks… Would all domestic and eu driving need to comply with eu rules or only when i’m doing a ‘eu day’?

Timothy:

Coffeeholic:

Timothy:

Okay thanks… Would all domestic and eu driving need to comply with eu rules or only when i’m doing a ‘eu day’?

Only EU days. It couldn’t be any other way because if you expected to drive under domestic all week but suddenly switched to EU on say Thursday you couldn’t go back and drive as per EU on the days you have already done.

You need to be careful swapping between Domestic and EU driving. There is a situation where by taking a nine hour (or even eleven hours) may cause you to fall foul of the Domestic duty or driving limits. This applies to HGV drivers under Domestic rules, PSV rules are different.

Domestic rules centre around a 24 hour period, like EU rules. However, unlike EU rules the Domestic period is fixed and does not restart as soon as a rest period has been completed. As an example, assume you start work on Domestic Rules at 06:00 Monday morning, you finish work at 18:00 having had a half hour for lunch and two breaks of 15 minutes during the day. You did 9 hours driving during that time. The breaks don’t get counted in daily totals so you have been on duty for 11 hours of which 9 was driving.

You take 9 hours off (rest) and then commence an EU driving job at 03:00 Tuesday. The problem is that anything you do between 03:00 and 06:00 on Tuesday will be added to what you did on Monday. You could drive for a maximum of one hour before you reach the 10 hour Domestic driving limit (driving under EU = driving under Domestic). However, you have already been on duty for 11 hours on Monday and you are unable to be on duty until outside the original 24 hour period (06:00 Mon to 06:00 Tue).

The same situation can apply going from EU driving back to Domestic driving.

geebee45:
You need to be careful swapping between Domestic and EU driving. There is a situation where by taking a nine hour (or even eleven hours) may cause you to fall foul of the Domestic duty or driving limits. This applies to HGV drivers under Domestic rules, PSV rules are different.

Domestic rules centre around a 24 hour period, like EU rules. However, unlike EU rules the Domestic period is fixed and does not restart as soon as a rest period has been completed. As an example, assume you start work on Domestic Rules at 06:00 Monday morning, you finish work at 18:00 having had a half hour for lunch and two breaks of 15 minutes during the day. You did 9 hours driving during that time. The breaks don’t get counted in daily totals so you have been on duty for 11 hours of which 9 was driving.

You take 9 hours off (rest) and then commence an EU driving job at 03:00 Tuesday. The problem is that anything you do between 03:00 and 06:00 on Tuesday will be added to what you did on Monday. You could drive for a maximum of one hour before you reach the 10 hour Domestic driving limit (driving under EU = driving under Domestic). However, you have already been on duty for 11 hours on Monday and you are unable to be on duty until outside the original 24 hour period (06:00 Mon to 06:00 Tue).

The same situation can apply going from EU driving back to Domestic driving.

Sounds like there is many rules to abide to. When doing a ‘EU Day’ is it permissible to do ten hours driving not more than twice a week since it is the first day under eu rules so could theoretically do 4 days domestic max 10h driving, 2 days eu max 10h driving??

Timothy:
Sounds like there is many rules to abide to. When doing a ‘EU Day’ is it permissible to do ten hours driving not more than twice a week since it is the first day under eu rules so could theoretically do 4 days domestic max 10h driving, 2 days eu max 10h driving??

Driving to domestic rules counts as other work for the EU regulations, so yes you could do 4 shifts on domestic regulations consisting of 10 hours driving each day then do 2 shifts on EU regulations consisting of 10 hours driving each.

Bear in mind though that in any week when you drive to EU regulations you should comply with the weekly rest requirements.