Mitchell’s Potatoes, Rugby

Has anybody worked for this outfit or know anybody that has?

I’ve seen them advertising three times this year for class 2, days and from what I can remember in the region of £33k+

Maybe they’re expanding, maybe they can’t keep drivers?

Thanks

Dakota:

I think you’re…

Only gonna know which it is by working for them.

At a guess you’ll be ■■■■■■■ bags of spuds into chippies. If you’re into a fitness regime, it could be a job for life.

Yes used to do it. As said its lugging bags of spuds into chip shops and the like. Extremely physical work, but you get fed well to replace the calories burnt.

yourhavingalarf:

Dakota:

I think you’re…

Only gonna know which it is by working for them.

At a guess you’ll be ■■■■■■■ bags of spuds into chippies. If you’re into a fitness regime, it could be a job for life.

If the chips are down, go for it

Years back I worked briefly for a maintenance company that serviced their trucks.

They had heavy duty rear suspension upgraded and kept going through rear wheel arches as they were often overloaded.

Also. Year. Shifting heavy sacks of potatoes.

Sounds like one to avoid, thanks

Dakota:

Boo Wo, so you’ve got to carry a few bags of spuds, how would these youngsters have coped doing markets,… bonus is being paid to keep fit…

To be fair, it’s probably something I would’ve said when I first started in trucking. Since then I tried a variety of jobs, and the best ones tend to be day jobs for me delivering by cages or pallet, and without them loading on too much work per day.

Currently working for a company delivering wheeled cages to stores. It is relatively hard work, as the cages can be upwards of 3/4 of a ton, but are often between the 1/4 and 1/2 ton level.

But it is something I enjoy doing, and obviously staying energetic is also good in this industry.

I had a lot of misconceptions when I started, and I always tried hard, where sometimes even that wasn’t good enough.

But I would most definitely say that there are better places to work for in the Warwickshire area than Potatoe deliveries.

toonsy:
Yes used to do it. As said its lugging bags of spuds into chip shops and the like. Extremely physical work, but you get fed well to replace the calories burnt.

It was a similar scenario when I was lugging sacks of flour into small corner shop bakeries that baked at night and the shop front became a sandwich shop in the day. Getting several bacon butties and coffees a day was great initially, but more often than not I’d decline their offer, though one place in wales used to send someone out with 2 coffees and 2 hot sausage rolls as soon as we pulled up at the kerb

biggriffin:

Dakota:

Boo Wo, so you’ve got to carry a few bags of spuds, how would these youngsters have coped doing markets,… bonus is being paid to keep fit…

I did lorry tires to lodge tires in brum, that was if I remember right ( lot of years ago ) 200 new remoulded tires ( including plenty of super singles , they were double stacked , all you had was a wooden plank , trying to pull the top ones down the plank halfway down the trailer you’d had enough , pined to the side of the tri as you had no strength left to stop them comming off the side of the plank
When you thought the worst was over you then had 200 returns to load back on , try wheeling them up a plank , when I’d finally done it , bloke said showers through there , black
I don’t mind work but stuff that
2 yrs ago I did tires for same place , apparently you can fit 100 into a 18t , you now get 2 cups , a bar & a metal plank that clips to the bar ( h&s ) , but you still have to roll them up & down the metal plank
I was offered that job on my first day , I’ve never minded work , but young / old it’s ■■■■■■■ hard / dirty graft , getting knocked to the floor by the tire you didn’t see comming is no fun
I don’t blame the young kids , easier money for easier work
Vac u lug want a driver , advertising , away you go , make a change from sitting on your ■■■ up at Easton all day , boohooo

Hey Doze, ignore my rude comments, I must learn not to talk rubbish on here and know when to stop having more to drink, so mate I’m sorry, I hope you will forgive me .

dozy:

biggriffin:

Dakota:

I did lorry tires to lodge tires in brum, that was if I remember right ( lot of years ago ) 200 new remoulded tires ( including plenty of super singles , they were double stacked , all you had was a wooden plank , trying to pull the top ones down the plank halfway down the trailer you’d had enough , pined to the side of the tri as you had no strength left to stop them comming off the side of the plank
When you thought the worst was over you then had 200 returns to load back on , try wheeling them up a plank , when I’d finally done it , bloke said showers through there , black
I don’t mind work but stuff that
2 yrs ago I did tires for same place , apparently you can fit 100 into a 18t , you now get 2 cups , a bar & a metal plank that clips to the bar ( h&s ) , but you still have to roll them up & down the metal plank
I was offered that job on my first day , I’ve never minded work , but young / old it’s [zb] hard / dirty graft , getting knocked to the floor by the tire you didn’t see comming is no fun
I don’t blame the young kids , easier money for easier work
Vac u lug want a driver , advertising , away you go , make a change from sitting on your ■■■ up at Easton all day , boohooo

DHL out of Rugby, think its Continental Tyres. Literally two mins walk from my house but still not fancying it. Reckon I’d get in there though as always advertising for some reason

i saw a mitchells spud wagon delivering to a chippy today local to me and was quite suprised to see there was 3 young fit lads in the cab (no i’m not that way inclined) but maybe not so labour intensive as some have thought…

m.a.n rules:
i saw a mitchells spud wagon delivering to a chippy today local to me and was quite suprised to see there was 3 young fit lads in the cab (no i’m not that way inclined) but maybe not so labour intensive as some have thought…

Never had that back in my day. You were lucky, and I mean lucky, to get a drivers mate at all!

toonsy:

m.a.n rules:

Never had that back in my day. You were lucky, and I mean lucky, to get a drivers mate at all!

h&s mate some times a good thing, also maybe normally just 2 up with a trainee today…

Haven’t worked for them, but my local chippe gets their potato delivered from them and they have 10 out of 10 chips :smiley: :smiley:

If you want to stay fit go to the gym and EAT correctly (count your calories). Been in the industry of delivering to chippies and Chinese takeaways and can say screw that. Nothing beats a proper pump from the gym and the hit you get an endorphin boost. Not going to get that carrying spuds