Missus written her car off

Coming back from a day out in the borders.

We were coming back along the A698 from Denholm towards Hawick, missus driving and coming round a bend met an oncoming car on our side, the missus swerved to avoid it and the front wheel clipped the verge, sent us sideways across the road, she steered left and the car nearly flipped as we were on two wheels, I grabbed the wheel and straightened it up and we shot off back to our side and up a verge and in to a bush/fence. She was really shaken up but now its mainly just upset due to her little car being broken.
Two fellas stopped and helped me pull the car out.

Under the bonnet its clear the cars duff. Radiator is crushed and pressed up against the engine, alternator smashed, cross member bent and the offside front wheel is rubbing against the inner arch. Due to it being a 13 year old car, I’m guessing its a write off. on the outside it doesn’t look to bad, shame as it was a clean, problem free car.

The “offending” car was nowhere to be seen, all I remember was a red car, maybe an Octavia.

I managed to get the car running and limped it 100 yards or so down the road to a big layby

Sorry to hear that, absolutly crap when people dont stop.

Glad your both alright though thats the most important thing, metal can be replaced

Madguy :smiling_imp:

same as madguy glad your ok looks to be awrite off if u go throu insurance see if you can buy it back cheap and then strip it for parts and flog them if u choose to avoid insurance route weight up if its worth repairing if not break it for parts

peewee:
same as madguy glad your ok looks to be awrite off if u go throu insurance see if you can buy it back cheap and then strip it for parts and flog them if u choose to avoid insurance route weight up if its worth repairing if not break it for parts

I would do what peewee said

Take it to a garage that you know and see what they think and if they say write off then sell for parts etc, i wouldn’t bother with paying out the excess on the insurance

the problem is the car is currently in a garage near Hawick as it was un-drivable. She’s got a £575 excess so were not expecting much back through insurance. We rang the AA as we’ve got cover with them, they said try calling insurance as their recovery will be free if you’re fully comp (she is). Apparently the next step is assessor will come and look at the car, the guy from the insurance company said the same was the recovery guy, due to it being a 13 year old car and the damage, its an almost certain write off. (being Lithuanian her brother over there has seen the pics and cant believe it will be written off as in Lithuania it will be back on the road in a day, then again standards aren’t like they are here)

C10HOO:
the problem is the car is currently in a garage near Hawick as it was un-drivable. She’s got a £575 excess so were not expecting much back through insurance. We rang the AA as we’ve got cover with them, they said try calling insurance as their recovery will be free if you’re fully comp (she is). Apparently the next step is assessor will come and look at the car, the guy from the insurance company said the same was the recovery guy, due to it being a 13 year old car and the damage, its an almost certain write off. (being Lithuanian her brother over there has seen the pics and cant believe it will be written off as in Lithuania it will be back on the road in a day, then again standards aren’t like they are here)

tow it home and strip it should make few hundred back to put towards another motor

While it loos like cosmetic damage being 13 years old its not worth spending money on.We grow attached to our cars but where the balance sheet is concerned the car is scrap.

peewee:

C10HOO:

tow it home and strip it should make few hundred back to put towards another motor

added expense of getting a trailer to carry it as it wont drive far.

do you know of anyone who will get it for you?

yeah a few, local company will let be use the trailer for £80. Ill sort something out.

On a lighter note, I got a job! woo!