Missing wheel nut indicators

Is this driver leaving himself open to get tugged ? Maybe the driver is better off removing all of them completely rather than having just a few what do you all think ?

not all trucks have them so i would think its ok

no law against missing wheel nut indicators but it does look awfull so would be better replacing the lost ones or remove the rest of them

Yep looks very ugly, as he’s missing 10 exactly I reckon someones pinched them for one of their wheels or he’s lost so many that has have to start splitting them between wheels.

He is leaving himself open to a pull for a closer inspection though.

It takes me a lot more than a few missing wheel nut indicators to get tugged, bottle of wine and doing the washing up normally covers it.

I haven’t got them on my yoke

Policy here is that if you don’t have a full set on a wheel, you take them all off (and report it as a defect).

Wouldn’t it be wise of him to take the 2 not paired and pair them?

Hiya …my boss gave me a box of them and told me to use them…i said i keep an eye on them, no need.
I’d been driving for 20 years and not lost any wheels.GET THEM ON NOW he said.
the next load i did was Chester to Nottingham and back load from Dowlow Quarry at Buxton.
Well about 15 years earlier id done 3 years running out of Buxton and knew the road like the back
of my hand. so over the cat and fiddle i come 23 tons of bagged lime and going like a bat out of hell.
(i knew the trailer had very good brakes and infact over braked)when i got back to Chester i asked
how these things worked and pointed them out to him. i’d melted them and they hung like yellow
snot from the wheel nuts. he said he’d order some more, i can’t remember if any ever come
but i do know i still never lost any wheels.
John

3300John:
Hiya …my boss gave me a box of them and told me to use them…i said i keep an eye on them, no need.
I’d been driving for 20 years and not lost any wheels.GET THEM ON NOW he said.
the next load i did was Chester to Nottingham and back load from Dowlow Quarry at Buxton.
Well about 15 years earlier id done 3 years running out of Buxton and knew the road like the back
of my hand. so over the cat and fiddle i come 23 tons of bagged lime and going like a bat out of hell.
(i knew the trailer had very good brakes and infact over braked)when i got back to Chester i asked
how these things worked and pointed them out to him. i’d melted them and they hung like yellow
snot from the wheel nuts. he said he’d order some more, i can’t remember if any ever come
but i do know i still never lost any wheels.
John

That’s brilliant. They are a bit weedy when it comes to a decent amount of braking.

“missing wheel nut indicators”
Do they indicate missing wheel nuts ? :neutral_face:

If he’s hell bent on keeping them on he may aswell just make one wheel up with a full set from the spares on the next surely.

He has got the good ones the dustites that can be reused, tyre fitters just snap the other ones off. You know what ive wondered daf dust caps as much use as a chocolate fire guard, stick these on instead ya dutch plums.

merc0447:
He has got the good ones the dustites that can be reused, tyre fitters just snap the other ones off. You know what ive wondered daf dust caps as much use as a chocolate fire guard, stick these on instead ya dutch plums.

What is the point of wheel nut indicators when no one ever whines the torque wrench off from one years end to the next. the spring in the wrench sets so after a week or so you may just as well pee into the wind for the correct torque, at least you will get wet feet,fact.
Also wheel studs stretch so if the nut is seized to the thread it won’t move. you the driver have no idea the wheel is loose.
You have heard of the wheel tapper and his toffee hammer, if the nut makes a ringing sound it’s tight on the other hand a dull sound means it’s loose. So the moral is buy yourselves a tack hammer, About £1.00 and go around before you start each driving shift.
As a fitter I used one a lot because it told me a lot and saved much time.

scotstrucker:
no law against missing wheel nut indicators but it does look awfull so would be better replacing the lost ones or remove the rest of them

If fitted then must be on all wheels. If fitted on unit must be on trailer and the other way round.

MisterStrood:
If fitted then must be on all wheels. If fitted on unit must be on trailer and the other way round.

Says who?

Roymondo:

MisterStrood:

Says who?

I was wondering this aswell as most hire firms stick them on midlifts but leave the rest of the wheels without. They are pretty expensive for what they are imo. Summit like 60/70p each x10 x number of wheels soon builds up.

Roymondo:

MisterStrood:

Says who?

yeah i would like too see the evidence too cos our mechanic just fell off his chair with laughter when i showed him this but unfortunatly i cant repeat what he said as the auto censor wont let me

merc0447:

Roymondo:

MisterStrood:

Says who?

I was wondering this aswell as most hire firms stick them on midlifts but leave the rest of the wheels without. They are pretty expensive for what they are imo. Summit like 60/70p each x10 x number of wheels soon builds up.

man were sticking them on midlifts due too problems with calipers seizing up and overheating problems