Missing Nearside Over Door/Kerb Mirror Glass

I have just been handed the keys to a unit which has the mirror glass missing from the over door mirror housing. Is it legal to drive it in this condition?

Simple test I use:
Q… Would it pass an MoT test in that condition?
A… No.

So, I would say it is not OK to take out of depot like that.

I`m sure lots would, and have, but if anything goes wrong you are the one in the mire.

Franglais:
Simple test I use:
A… No.

I`m sure lots would, and have, but if anything goes wrong you are the one in the mire.

As I suspected. Many thanks for your fast response, Franglais, very helpful.

Nope VOR it and fill in a defect and ask for a unit that is legal. Any missing mirror glass or mirror is not raodworthy.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Simple test I use:
A… No.

Absolutely, taking the motor out just that once, would be the “one day” when a cyclist sneaks along the nearside when you’re about to make a left turn.
The Class V (Over door) and Class VI (Over windscreen) are not just mirrors like the doors mounted ones, these were quite specifically introduced for safety. Can you imagine how to explain in court that it was acceptable to use the vehicle with critical safety devices missing!!!

And make sure all mirrors are clean before you leave the yard , lots don’t

Depends.

If its for a big company like Tesco/XPO/Eddie Stobarts then no. If it is for a small family firm. I may take it out on the condition that my first stop was to get a replacement kerb mirror.

Maybe not strictly legal but, perfectly safe in my view. Unless you are based in Central London then maybe not.
I dunno to be honest, you have to judge it on the day and take into account a lot of conditions.
That being said I have taken quite a few dodgy trucks to the workshop before. Sometimes, gaffer tape and straps are required :stuck_out_tongue:

adam277:
Depends.

If its for a big company like Tesco/XPO/Eddie Stobarts then no. If it is for a small family firm. I may take it out on the condition that my first stop was to get a replacement kerb mirror.

Maybe not strictly legal but, perfectly safe in my view. Unless you are based in Central London then maybe not.
I dunno to be honest, you have to judge it on the day and take into account a lot of conditions.
That being said I have taken quite a few dodgy trucks to the workshop before. Sometimes, gaffer tape and straps are required :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing to do with DEPENDS its NO full stop its,big or small outfit its VOR until its done.

adam277:

I can understand gaffer tape for somethings, as a general question, how does going out with missing legally required safety equipment equate to the profile of drivers being professional!

Acorn:

adam277:

I can understand gaffer tape for somethings, as a general question, how does going out with missing legally required safety equipment equate to the profile of drivers being professional!

If you lose a kerb mirror while out driving what do you do? Park up and wait for recovery or a mechanic call out? Or if a bulb goes? Personally I dont for 99% of instances. You just use your common sense and drive someplace to get it fixed.
Heck I’ve even taken my truck to a local car garage to borrow tools to refit my mirror before.

Also there is a difference between going out on a run with a defective truck to take a defective truck to a workshop to get it fixed.