Mirror Checks

Evening all,

I have my test coming up for Category C and for whatever reason I cannot for the life of me get the routine straight in my head regarding the leaving the kerb / uphill start / downhill start / angled start.

Am I correct in thinking it is the following:-

Left mirror
Right mirror
shoulder check
Indicate (when clear to do so)
Left mirror
Release handbrake and move off

I’ve got myself into a right mess and can’t think straight.

I’ve tried a search of the forum but I’m still left feeling a bit confused so any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :smiley:

There isn’t such a thing as a ‘set routine’ for this. Your examiner is trained to assess whether you have demonstrated good all round observation, and that’s all.

It’s definitely sensible to finish your observations on the right hand side, as that’s the direction you’re heading when you move off.

When they say ‘drive on when you’re ready’, check the mirrors before you signal right. If it is immediately safe to move off, do a quick right shoulder/blind spot check and move off. If you can’t move off immediately and are waiting (with the signal flashing) remember to check the mirrors again, and the blind spot, before moving off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d also add, be sure to add an extra couple of checks both sides as you move away and increase speed.

Left mirror to check movement away from kerb and position of obstruction on angled start. Right mirror to check for people attempting late overtakes as you accelerate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I passed my Class 2 first time in August so hopefully my recent experience might also help.

Parked at kerb in neutral:

• Select correct gear
  • Left mirror & Right mirror
  • Signal when safe / appropriate to do so
  • Left & right mirror again and turn head to check right blind spot.
  • Handbrake off if all clear.
  • Pull away still checking left/right mirrors as you move away

My instructor was an ex blues n twos driver and told me that as long as the examiner could see I was doing thorough observations and importantly the blind spot, all would be good even if I perhaps looked right / left and not left / right. Though as said above it makes safety sense for the last direction to be the direction the danger is coming from.

I did several stops/starts from the kerb during my test and didn’t pick up any faults at all with the above observation procedure.

In fact during one pull-away from the left a car started to overtake me despite already being on the move and after my rear observations showing all clear. I simply stopped moving via the footbrake and repeated my left / right mirror and blind spot check and carried on again when safe.

A lot of very good advice on Trucknet and the one thing that stuck in my mind was to check your mirrors every 5-8 seconds. I did this and no issues at all.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Personally I did

Left mirror
Right mirror
Indicate
Shoulder check
Release handbrake, then “all round obs” (left mirror, straight ahead, right mirror) just as and whilst actually moving off.

I didn’t get any mirror minors!
I think the trouble starts when you forget to check a mirror or blindspot at all, or do your first check stupidly late (like after you’ve already started moving!)

Thank you for all the replies.

I appreciate it.

Fingers crossed all goes ok tomorrow now! :smiley:

When you pass you can skip the process and just pull out :stuck_out_tongue: