Mirror antenna mounts wiring

hi i have just fitted twin mirror mounts on my truck whats the best way to run the c b wire from the door to the c b also wots better for range one antenna or two as i do a lot of country driving or would i be better with a mag mount on the roof any advice would be gratefull

Might I suggest you utilise the search facility on the forum and you’ll find many answers regarding the use of cb’s.

Especially one that debated the very subject you want to know about, very recently.

And welcome to TNUK.

Ken.

Here comes the mirror man! :smiley:

Don’t bother with them mate, too much hassle. Just get a mag mount, run it through the sunroof and onto the top or rear of the cab, job done. I ran this set up for years and got on fine. Never bothered with a SWR meter either. Not much point in getting loads of range if nobody else has bothered to set theirs up as well as you have, not many people do.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=78689

Have a look at that thread.
Just use one of those twigs, put the other one somewhere safe, ready for when you break the one you’re using.

I have a question though.
Why spend all that cash on a set of twin mounts, presumably with all the gubbins otherwise it’s totally useless, when you don’t have the faintest idea what to do with it? Or is it because you don’t have the faintest idea and you got conned into buying it ? OK, two questions.
You can’t have a clue, because you’re asking a basic question that you wouldn’t need to ask if you did.

If the twin sticks were used and wired up together, wouldn’t that affect the RF radiation pattern and thus any range? I understood it to be A Bad Idea. The only time I have seen it in use was on the rear corners of a 101 LHD and the N/S one wasn’t wired in. Later on it was setup on a switch so either could be used but not both…

Now if that weren’t telling ya, nowt will !

Saratoga:
If the twin sticks were used and wired up together, wouldn’t that affect the RF radiation pattern and thus any range?

Yes. It goes in an oval shape pattern with the widest part in line with the two antennas so using them on the mirror arms will mean you get out real well to the left and the right of the vehicle…

DV 27 or a Half Breed on a mag mount on the top of the cab… high enough to "TING " on the trees but not the electric cables.

Conor:

Saratoga:
If the twin sticks were used and wired up together, wouldn’t that affect the RF radiation pattern and thus any range?

Yes. It goes in an oval shape pattern with the widest part in line with the two antennas so using them on the mirror arms will mean you get out real well to the left and the right of the vehicle…

The orientation of the oval radiation pattern depends on wavelength and the distance between the twinned antennae.
If they are the right distance apart, they add to each other and extend the oval out front and back, increasing the range. Unfortunately the correct distance apart with FM rigs is more than 8’.

I SWR’d a modulator I had on a mag mount on the roof with the roof of the frejus tunnel once…