ministry plates

This is a subject I know nowt about so I’m asking. I’ve got a new unit which I think should have a ministry plate in the cab some where and an O licence ?
on the screen. Am I right and is there anything else it should have by law. :question:

if you have a brand spanking new unit then you may not have a plating certificate for it yet, it will arrive in 2 or 3 weeks, the o licence needs to be applied for, your employer has 28 days to get it.
once the plate cert arrives it is to be placed on the nearside of the truck, usually just inside the door, most attach it to the door but some place it on the lower part of the seat frame. it comes as one piece but is actually 2 pieces and your employer needs to cut the office piece rom the truck part, they are labelled, the office piece should be placed in the files for the truck (the office part is bigger).

knight:
Am I right and is there anything else it should have by law. :question:

A tax disc :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: (The obvious really but there are still a lot out there who don’t bother to buy one!)

Ministry Plate, nearside of vehicle, may be a few weeks before the plate arrives, just keeping asking where it is.

Tax Disc; nearside lower portion of windscreen. Very important this one as the driver may be prosecuted for ‘fail to display.’ The other items are ‘Operator’ offences.

Operator Licence Disc; next to tax disc. Should be with ‘the boss’ very soon after he has applied for it (must be within one month of acquiring vehicle). Quite important as vehicles not displaying licence discs are more likely to get directed into Ministry Checks!

Height marker; on vehicles and trailers that exceed 3.0m. Sign must be in feet and inches, can be in metres to. Must be clearly visible from the driving position.

Thanks for the advice one and all. It hasn’t got a height marker either. Summat else to sort

One thing I got pulled on years ago was the trailer.

Going southbound on the M5 near Strensham Services one Saturday lunchtime, a T5 traffic car pulls up alongside me in lane 2 .
Side by side, a man in white overalls sitting in the passenger seat of the cop car holds up a sign saying " Follow Me".

Pulling in-to Strensham, we parked right in the corner, away from other trucks.

All my cards were in order, and in my hand ready to give the 'cop.

It was the ministry man who spoke first.

“Congratulations " he said, " I’m going to do a full inspection !”
Great, I thought.
So, the ministry man got his torch and crawler board and spent the next half hour going over the wagon.
"It’s low loaders this week " said the cop.
Good for you ,I thought,but I am running legal, so hurry up.

“There is no A number on the trailer” said the wheeltapper, happy to find a fault.
"Delayed Prohibition " he said, happy to fill in some forms at last.

The problem ? I was pulling a Nooteboom imported low lowder trailer, with no number welded on it.

Got back to the yard and the fitter got his arc welder out, pidgeon s…d the number on the trailer and hey presto, one trip to the ministry testing station later a ticket in the bin.

Check the trailer as well!

Cheers,

Niall.