Minimum weekly rest

Hi all
Could anyone inform me of the minimum weekly rest period at base.

And minimum weekly rest period away from base. I have looked at the laws but cannot understand it.

Thanks

JJ

jonjoe:
Hi all

And minimum weekly rest period away from base. I have looked at the laws but cannot understand it.

Thanks

JJ

The weekly rest requirements are that no later than six 24 hour periods (144 hours) from the end of the last weekly rest period you should start a new weekly rest period.

The weekly rest period is 45 consecutive hours which may be reduced to no less than 24 consecutive hours.

In any two consecutive weeks a driver should have at least:
Either two regular 45 hour weekly rest periods, Or, at least one regular 45 hour weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period (no less than 24 hours).

In other words you must have a regular 45 hour weekly rest period at least every second week.

Compensation for a reduced weekly rest period should be paid back by the end of the third week dollowing the week in which the reduced weekly rest was taken.

The weekly rest requirements are the same regardless of whether your at base or away from base.

Article 4 of (EC) 561/2006:
‘weekly rest period’ means the weekly period during which a driver may freely dispose of his
time and covers a ‘regular weekly rest period’ and a ‘reduced weekly rest period’:

– ‘regular weekly rest period’ means any period of rest of at least 45 hours,

– ‘reduced weekly rest period’ means any period of rest of less than 45 hours, which may,
subject to the conditions laid down in Article 8(6), be shortened to a minimum of 24 consecutive
hours;

Article 6 0f (EC) 561/2006:
In any two consecutive weeks a driver shall take at least:

– two regular weekly rest periods, or

– one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period of at least 24 hours.
However, the reduction shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest taken en bloc before
the end of the third week following the week in question.

A weekly rest period shall start no later than at the end of six
24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest
period.

Hope this helps :wink:

jonjoe:
Hi all

24 hours

jonjoe:
And minimum weekly rest period away from base.

24 hours

Location and rest periods don’t matter any more, not for the last 4.5 years.

jonjoe:
Hi all

Thanks

JJ

Is this a mmtm you cannot be told to take a reduced rest or break in the depot?

You cannot be told to take a reduced rest at all by anyone. The final decision whether to take a reduced rest whether daily or weekly lies solely with the driver.

Conor:
You cannot be told to take a reduced rest at all by anyone. The final decision whether to take a reduced rest whether daily or weekly lies solely with the driver.

Not under the tacho rules it doesn’t. This is one of the most popular driver’s myths. A company has a legal responsibility to schedule the work in accordance with the Driver’s Hours Rules and if they do so to take advantage of a reduced rest period a driver has available then they aren’t committing an offence. The driver has no grounds to refuse under the tacho rules.

He could regularly throw in the I’m too tired or H&S card but then he might be deemed as unsuitable for the job and replaced. So yes the driver does have the final say, no one can be forced to do something they don’t want to, but it does depend on how much the driver values or wants to keep his job.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75135

:sunglasses:

In other words - during these hard times :unamused: best not to rock the boat too much unless you like plenty of KY jelly…