minimum wage

reading one of winseers post thought id ask should there be a minimum wage for our industry,should it have set minimum amounts for certain jobs and what should they be

£4000 an hour

I want tanker drivers rates for local multi drop pallet network stuff!!!.. Well I am allowed to dream. :laughing:

damoq:
I want tanker drivers rates for local multi drop pallet network stuff!!!.. Well I am allowed to dream. :laughing:

If I was tanker driver you could have my job and I’d do nmm’s job in Canada and he could then have your job. :bulb: :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Carryfast:

damoq:

If I was tanker driver you could have my job and I’d do nmm’s job in Canada and he could then have your job. :bulb: :open_mouth: :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Im happy with my job. Its just the rates I’m looking for! :laughing: :laughing:

Don’t know how the rates have gone down so bad over the years, i know a couple of lads that get payed more filling selves in Tesco and that’s no joke either.

no. it sets a prescident.
trip money, or pence per mile, so drivers will work for the money rather than toss it off.

Mullens:
Don’t know how the rates have gone down so bad over the years, i know a couple of lads that get payed more filling selves in Tesco and that’s no joke either.

I think others have went up while ours have stayed the same.

Eckyboy:

Mullens:

I think others have went up while ours have stayed the same.

bingo :exclamation: my wages haven’t gone up for 5 years :frowning:

im happy with my work and happy with my wage the thing i really miss is having my own allocated unit. :neutral_face:

There’s lots of multi drop work around here, much of it to suburban london. The rates are often around £7.50ph which is (I would hope) a complete joke even up north, let alone in the “top dollar” southeast where only bignobs like politicians and lawyers get the “going rate” in any line of work.

If market forces are to hold sway, then wages would rise due to higher demand or falling available drivers for the job in question. To keep wages low for working class jobs in general, we see our market flooded with cheap labour from overseas.
Fair enough, it’s a political move begun by Labour as they’ve always believed until yesterday that the immigrant vote always goes to them out of gratitude for letting them in, entitling them to benefits from day one, laying on accomodation, etc etc. The flooded labour market issue aside, we’ve then got to look at the actual demand levels which are low at the moment due to recession being worse than is publicly admitted

As the community are aware, I don’t get out of bed for less than £10ph despite the fact that there is a lot of work even in my area that pays a whole lot less. I never do multi drop work needless to say, and do my utmost never to do early starts as well, although I have been known to do the occasional BH early for £12 and the like.

If there were not a whole ocean of guys prepared to be “mohammed come lately” with regards to what, let’s face it, is crap work to start with, then we’d see a rise in the rates of pay starting from there.

It’s interesting that an easy night trunking job pays more than a hard multidrop daytime job requiring “the knowledge” - but a lot of the guys (and it IS guys!) that make themselves available for the crap jobs are of course men with large young families not prepared as much to work nights like as we anglo saxon types…

I would suggest therefore that “making oneself unavailable en-masse for night work” has pushed (or at least upheld) the night rates compared to the much lower rate for the much poorer quality work.

Next time you find yourself in a yard queue for a depot, check out the other drivers in line:-

(1) A fair number of them are agency
(2) VERY FEW of them are muslim and/or are of olive complexion
(3) The fair share of immigrant around will almost entirely be eastern european rather than south mediterranean.
(4) Where are the lady truckers? - Can’t do overnights?

I thought it was 1 in 43 truckers that were female. On nights, I reckon it’s less than 1 in 200!

I’ve not been with my agency very long. I get a lot of work passed on to me though I believe BECAUSE I work nights rather than chase the 9-5 monday-friday stuff all the time. I hear white family guys saying “I have my family to consider” but what’s the point of starting at 4am only to miss your kids at breakfast, and have to work until 5pm just to equal the night pay on all those busy roads, hassle with daytime clock-watching RDC staff, and by the time you get home, you fall asleep in front of the telly without kissing said kids goodnight as well! So much for “family orientated shifts”. The only guys I’ve met actually on 9-5 rather than 4am-5pm and other similar knockouts are guys months away from retirement who’s job is going to be competely re-written once they’ve gone! It’s not even dead man’s shoes FFS!

If the worker demand is too high (pushing down wages) for the work you want, then lose your demand for such work, and place it elsewhere.
I’m sure a lot of layed-off trampers right now across the industry have found to their pleasant surprise that “nights” is actually BETTER than tramping in nearly every way - except the commute of course IF you had a commute in the first place.

For March, I’ve booked a total of 155 hours (when I only want to book 100 hours a month on average!) because the work has been there, and I’ve needed the extra cash to put the car through the MOT and re-tax it (a mortgage in itself these days!).

Not one of those hours was booked less than £10ph, and yet I remain PAYE and get mileage to boot, because I’m always on the runaround between different work locations - 4 this last month. :neutral_face:

Agency work should be about the driver’s wishes first, as they get to do all the work after all. Don’t forget that simple fact, and let some agencies bully you into working for less notice, pay, and other lower standards in general. My “wasted time” is limited to signing up with the jokers who promise the earth, and when I refuse all the crap they offer me instead, end up giving me nothing at all. No problem - at least I know where I stand, and there’s always another agency down the street with a better attitude towards it’s “assets”!

Have a nice weekend folks. I’m running to the midlands next week, so I can turn up the volume, set the cruise, and relax (once I’m through those damned J10-J13 roadwork on the M1!) :confused:

Hang loose, & keep the faith. :grimacing:

mezzzz1211:
reading one of winseers post thought id ask should there be a minimum wage for our industry,should it have set minimum amounts for certain jobs and what should they be

Well here goes for a right shoeing. :slight_smile:

Minimum Rate/hour:

Heavy Haulage drivers. £10
Hazardous loads. £9
General Haulage. £7
Tipper/Muckaway. £minimum wage.

Any objections to this suggestion■■?
If so have a word with your employer. :laughing:

Should deffinatley be more than £6.60 p/h class 1 :frowning:

I would have said minimum £9 p/h class 2, £11p/h class 1. But to get that the govt would have to legislate a minimum price for haulage which isn’t going to happen. If you are in niche or own account you will get a good number for a while. But if you are on general then you will be at the mercy of market forces driven by ready availability of cheap foreign labour and foreign trucks running on cheap diesel from abroad.

C + E Drivers should be on at least £15.00 per hour.

I do permanent nights, and disagree with a few of your points being as i go to the same depot every night.
1)never that many agency only generally covering the regular guys on sick or holiday ( think i saw 2 new driver to site cards in windows last week)
2)there are a couple admittedly few however are regular guys in and out of the depot
3)not really that many other nationalities there unless you included the welsh and scots :smiley:
4) Me and 3 other females work permanent nights for different companies. So maybe we are an anomaly but I think I can speak for the rest of them when I say I much rather be doing this than supermarket deliveries.

As for a minimum wage regards class of vehicle driven I dont think it would ever work unless they had a certain add on or area bonus to help with the cost of living variations across the country. For example, reading cost to rent 1 bed flat apprx £700 per month. Wolverhampton rent for 1 bed flat £450 per month.

Either all the northerners would be rich beyond compare in their area, whilst the southerners would scrape by thus encouraging a mass move northwards of lorry drivers to get more bang for their buck.

Just a thought no offence intended

I
Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810e using Tapatalk

This Osbourne idea of pushing national pay down to regional levels should be a pretty scary thought for those living further north. I agree entirely that on the so-called “national average” wage of £26k up north you could live like a lord, but down here, it won’t pay the mortgage.

Even if I wanted to move up north myself (my wife wouldn’t mind) then trying to get someone to sell a house to me for the same discount I’d have to drop mine by to shift it quick would make it very difficult a move without losing a 5 figure sum in the process. I’d move up north like a shot, probably to the “Golden Triangle” should a firm offer me a paid-up relocation package, but that’s just a pipe dream. Austerity ensures we’re all not going to be moving much from what we’re doing right now over the rest of this decade I fear…

The observations I’ve made regarding demographics of drivers comes from working at a different place most weeks. I think that ‘extra sample’ as they call it is required… The further north one goes, the less one sees those from south of the mediterranean it seems, compared to more and more eastern europeans especially on the indoor jobs.

Fradley Park last time I went, I think there was me and a scottish driver who spoke English and that was it! :unamused:

The last female I spoke to whilst at work was in January - and that was a Tesco’s transport office clerk! :open_mouth: