Minimum time before break taken?

Is there a minimum amount of time required before taking a break?

For example, you start at 5am. You do your daily checks, drive to the on-site pumps and fill up. However, your load isn’t ready and you can’t get under the trailer yet. So, you drive back, park up, and go on break while you go for a coffee.

You’ve only got two minutes drive time, and maybe 30 minutes working time. If you take a 15, does that count as either a drive time break, or a working time break, both, or not at all? I’m trying to figure out if I’d only need a 30 or a 45 to reset my driving time.

I don’t remember this coming up at all while studying for any of the theory or CPC. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a rule or regulation regarding it either.

Sent from my moto g(10) using Tapatalk

Need to have at least 1min driving time, so if you take a 15min rest it would count towards driving time rest.

As said you need to have done 1 minute of driving before having a driving break or 1 minute of other work/driving before having a WTD break.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

If you take a 15 before turning a wheel (recording a minute of driving), it wouldn’t be considered a driving break when downloaded, no matter what the tacho head says.

Noremac:
If you take a 15 before turning a wheel (recording a minute of driving), it wouldn’t be considered a driving break when downloaded, no matter what the tacho head says.

Would it record on the tacho as a 15? It would be nice to be able to rely on the tacho display.

stu675:

Noremac:

Would it record on the tacho as a 15? It would be nice to be able to rely on the tacho display.

It would be recorded as break but as stated would not be counted as a driving time break

stu675:

Noremac:

It’s a few years since I used a tachograph and haven’t used the latest versions at=all so don’t take my word for anything but I’m pretty certain that the tachograph will recognise that you have not done any driving and not count the 15 as a driving break.

So, if you have a 15-minute break before doing any driving then have a 30-minute break after a couple of hours driving, I don’t think the driving time will be reset on the tachograph display, if that’s what you mean.

Though I haven’t got the time or the inclination to go through all the tachograph specs to check so I could be wrong :slight_smile:

Taking a break if I haven’t left the yard yet is considered bad practice where I’m working at the moment. I’ve had confirmation that there are no rules against it, they just don’t like it (which is fair enough). If I get delayed I like to ‘reset the clock’ before leaving, but I won’t be any more unless perhaps I get delayed for a few hours at the start of my shift. I’ll regard it as a reasonable request not to do it going forward.

The Tacho won’t register a break as a drive time break if there’s been no driving yet. The ones I’ve used haven’t anyway.

Sent from my moto g(10) using Tapatalk

tachograph:

stu675:

Noremac:

It’s a few years since I used a tachograph and haven’t used the latest versions at=all so don’t take my word for anything but I’m pretty certain that the tachograph will recognise that you have not done any driving and not count the 15 as a driving break.

So, if you have a 15-minute break before doing any driving then have a 30-minute break after a couple of hours driving, I don’t think the driving time will be reset on the tachograph display, if that’s what you mean.

Though I haven’t got the time or the inclination to go through all the tachograph specs to check so I could be wrong :slight_smile:

I`ve had a quick play with the Stoneridge simulator and that seems accurate.

Duty…16min break…duty…commence driving and it shows 4hr30 available, and a “45” due at the end of drive, not “30”.