Minimum Split Break Time

If your driving and doing other work between 6-9 hours can you split your breaks into 2? I was told you need to take a minimum of 30 min break total 30 mins altogether so how can you split it?

I know you can split a 9 hour (driving and other work breaks) as its 45 mins?

Its 15 and 30 but must not be taken the other way round! (for driving).
You must take 45 at 4.5 hours driving. Thus you could drive for 2 hours, other work for an hour and take 15. Drive for another 2.5 and take 30 minutes.

The WTD states drivers must have a 30-minute break before or at the end of a six-hour working period.

If you need to reset your driving then a 15 and 30 will suffice, if it’s just a break for WTD purposes then you could take 2x 15s, one before or at the 6 hour mark and one before or at 9 hours.

Gembo:
The WTD states drivers must have a 30-minute break before or at the end of a six-hour working period.

15 minutes break before or at the end of a 6 hour working period. If you work between 6 – 9 hours then you must accumulate 30 minutes of break across your shift.

harrawaffa:

Gembo:

15 minutes break before or at the end of a 6 hour working period. If you work between 6 – 9 hours then you must accumulate 30 minutes of break across your shift.

yeah, spot on its just easier to explain if its 30. :laughing: Method in my madness being that most work at least an 8-hour shift where 30 is the norm.

Wtd breaks can not be taken at the beginning or end of a shift.

30 mins total for 6-9 hrs, must be taken no later then after 6 hours and can be split into 2x15 mins.

45 mins total break for upto 12 hours.

After driving 41/2 hours, you must complete your 45 mins total break. No other work before resetting.

Concretejim:
Wtd breaks

45 mins for over 9 hours of working time

Shift of 15 hours where max driving does not exceed 4.5 hours can be
work 6 hours
break 15
work 6 hours
break 15
work 2 hours
break 15
work 15

ROG:

Concretejim:
Wtd breaks

work 6 hours
break 15
work 6 hours
break 15
work 2 hours
break 15
work 15

I thought this but I’ve been getting infringements for working more than 9 hours without sufficient breaks - even though I’ve had 45 minutes break in total by the end of my shift.

Ryan90:
I thought this but I’ve been getting infringements for working more than 9 hours without sufficient breaks - even though I’ve had 45 minutes break in total by the end of my shift.

Hopefully you haven’t been booking breaks at the start or end of the shift because breaks at the immediate start or end of the shift don’t count for the RT(WT)R.

Also, have you checked that you haven’t at any time done more than 6 hours working time without a break of at-least 15 minutes.

Also, I believe there are some companies that insist on you having at-least 30 minutes break before exceeding 9 hours working time, it’s not the law but sometimes a company rule.

Ryan90:

ROG:

Concretejim:
Wtd breaks

work 6 hours
break 15
work 6 hours
break 15
work 2 hours
break 15
work 15

Say you had a 15 min break 5 hours into your shift (to satisfy the 6 hour rule), then a 30 min break 8 hours into your shift, by 8.5 hours duty time you’ve had 45 mins total break. If you then go past 14.5 hours without taking any more breaks, you’ve exceeded 6 hours of work without an additional 15 minute break.

It’s easy to get caught out on the back end of a long shift even though 45 mins have been taken in the belief that’s all that’s required if going over 9. It’s not, because you’re still subject to the 6 hour rule.

ezydriver:

Ryan90:

ROG:

Concretejim:
Wtd breaks

work 6 hours
break 15
work 6 hours
break 15
work 2 hours
break 15
work 15

Say you had a 15 min break 5 hours into your shift (to satisfy the 6 hour rule), then a 30 min break 8 hours into your shift, by 8.5 hours duty time you’ve had 45 mins total break. If you then go past 14.5 hours without taking any more breaks, you’ve exceeded 6 hours of work without an additional 15 minute break.

It’s easy to get caught out on the back end of a long shift even though 45 mins have been taken in the belief that’s all that’s required if going over 9. It’s not, because you’re still subject to the 6 hour rule.

In my last job I used to help out with drivers and their infringements and what you said about the ■■■ end of the shift is true with many infringements I dealt with where a driver had a 45 near to 6 hours of duty with about 4 hrs driving done but the shift would just drag on a bit longer than they anticipated and they’ll get caught out.

bald bloke:
In my last job I used to help out with drivers and their infringements and what you said about the ■■■ end of the shift is true with many infringements I dealt with where a driver had a 45 near to 6 hours of duty with about 4 hrs driving done but the shift would just drag on a bit longer than they anticipated and they’ll get caught out.

Yes, people get caught out by relating the 6 hour rule only to the first 6 hours of their shift. However, it’s any period of 6 hours during their entire shift. So if they complete a 45 min break on 7 hours, they need a 15 min break once they hit 13 hours (unless they’ve ‘paused the clock’ with POA, or their shift ends on 13 hours).

i heard that taking a break as your shift is ending is allowed as long as you switch your tacho to break take it and then finish your work for the day?

Braveheart2009:
i heard that taking a break as your shift is ending is allowed as long as you switch your tacho to break take it and then finish your work for the day?

For the road transport working time regulations breaks have to interrupt the working time, breaks at the immediate start and end of the shift do not interrupt the working time so will not count.

tachograph:

Braveheart2009:

For the road transport working time regulations breaks have to interrupt the working time, breaks at the immediate start and end of the shift do not interrupt the working time so will not count.

Easy remedy is when you start your next shift do a manual entry for the break followed by a minute of other work.

Braveheart2009:

It rather depends on exactly what you mean by “then finish your work for the day”. If there is any work recorded (even a single minute) between your break and the end of the shift, then that break counts for WTD purposes (provided it is at least 15 minutes in duration, naturally!). So e.g. working from 0600, taking a 15 minute break 1000-1015, working until 1400 then taking a break 1400-1415 is fine provided you record at least a minute of work after that second 15 minute break.