Minimum driving time before break?

What’s this bull I’m hearing from my co workers about there being a set minimum driving time before you can take a break? Are they actually right for once (pigs might fly) or as usual is it a load of crap?

Never had any bother about taking a break almost right away. I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s jumped into another motor, shoved my card in, moved 10ft then put it on break and pulled the card back out while waiting for unit/trl to appear. To make it clear, that’s 10 minutes other work (manual entry), 1minute driving, 15 minute break and other work added as a manual entry when my wagon finally turns up. Don’t see any problem with that, bit cheeky if anything but I can’t see vosa doing me for it as TECHNICALLY I have taken a break after showing driving time.

Please educate me if I am wrong.

Steven

You’re 100% right. So long split breaks are mimimum 15 min then 30 min and are taken before 4 1/2 driving you’re following all the rules.

Mr B:
You’re 100% right. So long split breaks are mimimum 15 min then 30 min and are taken before 4 1/2 driving you’re following all the rules.

Thought as much, Dave. Too many know it all type people in my place.

Off topic, where you been? I have not seen you once since that time I was waving like a loony at you in Edinburgh :smiley:

the rule is that you must make 3 left turns, 4 right turns and achieve a speed of at least 50mph before you can take a break from driving… </tongue in cheek mode>

You could also do a printout of your weeks work from any other vehicle in the depot, even from another company but it may ■■■■ them off for wasting all their printer roll :stuck_out_tongue:

As long as you take 30 minutes before you reach 4.28 driving allowing the digital to nick one minute, I don’t see a problem with your methods though.

You certainly can take a break after only a few minutes of Other Work and/or one minute of Driving, but it doesn’t gain you much.

e.g. If you start at 0600hrs, have 10 mins OW, 1 minute Driving and then take a 15 mins break, you’ll still have to take another break before 1226hrs (or 4.5 hours Driving, whichever comes first )

Roymondo:
You certainly can take a break after only a few minutes of Other Work and/or one minute of Driving, but it doesn’t gain you much.

e.g. If you start at 0600hrs, have 10 mins OW, 1 minute Driving and then take a 15 mins break, you’ll still have to take another break before 1226hrs (or 4.5 hours Driving, whichever comes first )

yeh but instead of taking 45 you need only have 30 mins.
sometimes i say start at 6.00am,10 min ow,drive for 5 mins,15 min break while i go home have a cuppa and brekkie then i just need 30 mins up the road before 4.25 driving.dont do it everyday,but sometimes it just works that way.
everybody in driving has different parameters in their work day,so what doesnt suit 1 person may suit others.

I’d rather take the full 45 as I find that 30 minutes isn’t long enough to read my newspaper :slight_smile:

5. Rest and Breaks
5.1 Main Points
Minimum daily and weekly rest provisions under the existing European drivers’ hours rules will continue to apply to drivers.
The Regulations apply those same daily/weekly rest requirements to other mobile workers, trainees and apprentices when travelling in a vehicle within scope of the European drivers’ hour rules.
All mobile workers are subject to rest provisions under the European drivers’ hours rules when travelling in in-scope vehicles.
Break requirements under the Regulations, are in addition to those under the European drivers’ hours rules.
The European drivers’ hours rules break requirements take precedence when driving.
Employers check:
That all mobile workers can take the rest and breaks they are obliged to take.

That mixing driving with other work does not lead to a breach in the break requirements under the Regulations (see examples below).

5.2 Daily Rest
Drivers already have minimum daily rest requirements under the European drivers’ hours rules. For any time spent driving a vehicle within scope of these rules, drivers are required to take 11 consecutive hours rest within the 24 hour period in question (calculated from the moment the driver commences work). This may be reduced to 9 consecutive hours up to 3 times a week. Alternatively a split daily rest period can be taken in two periods. The first period must be at least 3 hours, and the second at least 9 hours.

Under the Regulations, identical daily rest requirements will also apply to other members of the travelling staff (e.g. crew, trainees and apprentices).

5.3 Weekly Rest
The European drivers’ hours rules require that in any two consecutive weeks, a driver shall take at least two regular weekly rest periods, or one regular weekly rest period and one reduced weekly rest period of at least 24 hours. However, the reduction shall be compensated by an equivalent period of rest taken en bloc before the end of the third week following the week in question.

A weekly rest period should start no later than at the end of six 24-hour periods from the end of the previous weekly rest period.

These same weekly rest requirements also apply to any crew and travelling staff, travelling on in-scope vehicles.

Rest requirements are additional to any paid annual leave entitlement that mobile workers are entitled to under the 1998 Regulations.

5.4 Breaks
The European drivers’ hours rules require that after 4½ hours driving, a driver must take a break of at least 45 minutes. This break may be replaced by a break of at least 15 minutes followed by a break of at least 30 minutes each distributed over the period.
The break requirements under the Regulations will affect workers who do a mixture of driving and non-driving work. The rules on breaks will also apply on days when the mobile worker is not travelling.
Where mainly driving work is undertaken it is possible that working time breaks may be satisfied by breaks from driving taken under the European drivers’ hours rules, therefore break requirements under the working time Regulations may be more likely to affect workers who do a mixture of driving and non-driving work.
The Regulations require that:

mobile workers must not work more than 6 consecutive hours without taking a break,
if your working hours total between 6 and 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 30 minutes,
if your working hours total more than 9 hours, working time should be interrupted by a break or breaks totalling at least 45 minutes,
breaks should be of at least 15 minutes duration.
In the interest of safety, and as a matter of good practice, it is strongly recommended that breaks should be distributed evenly throughout the day.

When taking a break, drivers may not perform anything that might be regarded as “other work” during this period. Breaks taken under these Regulations may be taken at the workstation (typically this means the driver’s cab - but see glossary for fuller definition of this and other terms).

At no point does it say a shift may not be started with a break :exclamation: :exclamation: Why was I told yesterday that I cannot do this when upon research I have to agree with you that you are correct Sirs :unamused:

Mad dan - just out of curiousity, where is that from :question:

dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … ge=7#a1006

Hope this work me and technology just about get by :unamused: Still I did do an avatar so am getting better WITH HELP :exclamation: :exclamation:

Mad dan:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/rdtransportworkingtimeguidance?page=7#a1006

Hope this work me and technology just about get by :unamused: Still I did do an avatar so am getting better WITH HELP :exclamation: :exclamation:

It works fine - thanks :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
you’ll be a computer genius soon :wink:

Mad dan:
At no point does it say a shift may not be started with a break :exclamation: :exclamation:

that right mate cos you on rest you can take a break when ever it suit you

i did night for 18 months and may night started at 6.pm i would put my chart in do may checks that would be 15 mins other work then it goes on break till i was loaded the i put it back on other work to close up and the driver to hub never got one infringement for it i have even moved the truck sometime for about two mins and put is on break and still no infringements i would and have never used POA don’t see the point of it

Best I get off here and get some ZzzzZzzzZZzzzzzZZZzzzz’s thats if the ■■■■■■■ neighbours kids and dog keep it down :exclamation: :imp:

Still I shal sleep at the missus’s tommorow :exclamation:

POA really means time that does not count towards your max of 56hours but you are being paid for it, so therefore POA means more hours* in a week over a reference period of at least 17 weeks (*working hours)

Hope somone else can say what I am trying too but more clearly I must go nos so Goodnightieafternooney :laughing:

delboytwo:

Mad dan:
At no point does it say a shift may not be started with a break :exclamation: :exclamation:

i did night for 18 months and may night started at 6.pm i would put my chart in do may checks that would be 15 mins other work then it goes on break till i was loaded the i put it back on other work to close up and the driver to hub never got one infringement for it i have even moved the truck sometime for about two mins and put is on break and still no infringements i would and have never used POA don’t see the point of it

You beat me to it delboy, as we’re all "professionals on here I’m sure all of us do our “walk around/daily checks” on break before turning a wheel ! Then bang it on other work and go for breakfast. :wink: :laughing:

Roymondo:
I’d rather take the full 45 as I find that 30 minutes isn’t long enough to read my newspaper :slight_smile:

well take 2 x 30 minute breaks then, that should easily allow you to read the daily sport twice over so you don`t miss any b its :smiley:

As far as the driving time is concerned I agree with others here that your free to take a driving break as soon as driving is shown on the chart/card.

delboytwo:

Mad dan:

There’s certainly nothing wrong or illegal about starting the shift with a break as long as you understand that a break at the immediate start or end of a shift will not count for the WTD.
For the WTD the breaks should be “Interrupting” the days working time which clearly isn’t the case where the break comes before or after the days working time.

peirre:

Roymondo:

well take 2 x 30 minute breaks then, that should easily allow you to read the daily sport twice over so you don`t miss any b its :smiley:

No you will mislead people. it is totally illegal to take 2 x 30 minute breaks and if you do the TC will remove all your families testicles with a garlic press :laughing:

Mad dan:
At no point does it say a shift may not be started with a break :exclamation: :exclamation: Why was I told yesterday that I cannot do this when upon research I have to agree with you that you are correct Sirs :unamused:

While it doesn’t say it from the point of view of the EU driver’s regulations you can’t start a shift with a break, well not one which counts anyway. Breaks, as far as the tacho regs go interrupt periods of driving not other work so taking a break before doing any driving won’t count.

15 minutes other work
1 minute driving
15 minutes break
4 hours 29 minutes driving
30 minutes break resets drive time clock
4 hours 30 minutes driving is legal

15 minutes other work
15 minutes break
4 hours 30 minutes driving
30 minutes break doesn’t reset drive time clock
4 hours 30 minutes driving is illegal

In the second example you have done 9 hours driving with only 30 minutes break which is illegal while 8 hours 59 minutes driving with only 30 minutes break in the first example is legal, one minute makes all the difference.

While it’s true to say there is no minimum driving time before it is legal to take a break in reality it has to be 1 minute or the break won’t count toward the EU regs.

Coffeeholic:

Mad dan:

While it doesn’t say it from the point of view of the EU driver’s regulations you can’t start a shift with a break, well not one which counts anyway. Breaks, as far as the tacho regs go interrupt periods of driving not other work so taking a break before doing any driving won’t count.

15 minutes other work
1 minute driving
15 minutes break
4 hours 29 minutes driving
30 minutes break resets drive time clock
4 hours 30 minutes driving is legal

15 minutes other work
15 minutes break
4 hours 30 minutes driving
30 minutes break doesn’t reset drive time clock
4 hours 30 minutes driving is illegal

In the second example you have done 9 hours driving with only 30 minutes break which is illegal while 8 hours 59 minutes driving with only 30 minutes break in the first example is legal, one minute makes all the difference.

While it’s true to say there is no minimum driving time before it is legal to take a break in reality it has to be 1 minute or the break won’t count toward the EU regs.

But it does not stipulate this in the regs :exclamation: Whilst I have been told you cannot do this I can understand your point therefore I would put it on otherwork and fill my bellie as it is just like fuelling the truck I also need some fuel sometimes :wink:

But I WAS told that this could not be done, so it should surely state this in the rules and regs :question: :question: