Minimum drive time

hi everyone,i`m new to all this.
was wondering if anyone knew if there was a minimum amount of driving you had to do before you were eligible for a break.
some of us at work reckon you have to drive at least an hour others reckon its less,does anyone know the truth?

cheers.

Stokie-in-Exmouth:
was wondering if anyone knew if there was a minimum amount of driving you had to do before you were eligible for a break.
some of us at work reckon you have to drive at least an hour others reckon its less,does anyone know the truth?

cheers.

If I understand the question correctly:
There is no minimum limit under EU regulations, legally you could drive for one minute and then have a 15 minute break as the first part of the 45 minute break.

If driving shows on the tachograph before the start of a break, then the break will considered to be distributed over the 4.5 hours as required.

Page 13 - [dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/ … sgoods.pdf]
(http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/drivershoursgoods.pdf):
A break is any period during which a driver may not carry out any driving or any other work and
which is used exclusively for recuperation. A break may be taken in a moving vehicle, provided no
other work is undertaken.

Alternatively, a full 45-minute break can be replaced by one break of at least 15 minutes followed
by another break of at least 30 minutes. These breaks must be distributed over the 4.5-hour period.
Breaks of less than 15 minutes will not contribute towards a qualifying break, but neither will they
be counted as duty or driving time. The EU rules will only allow a split-break pattern that shows
the second period of break being at least 30 minutes,

it can be anytime within the 4 and a half hours of driving time, though you still need your 45 mins within that time aswell.

though taking a break after 10 mins driving seems a bit stupid doesnt it?

Welcome to TruckNet UK Stokie-in-Exmouth and gogzy

gogzy:
it can be anytime within the 4 and a half hours of driving time, though you still need your 45 mins within that time aswell.

It doesn’t need to be within the 4.5hrs as it can be taken at the end.

thanks for the fast replies.
it does sound stupid to have a break so soon into the day but on tipper work sometimes you get to the site and you have to wait for the machine driver to fuel up so i pop it onto break.

No minimum. If you split your 45, you must take half an hour at least for the 2nd part. So you can drive for a minute take a 15 mintue break then 4hours 29mins and take half an hour or drive for a minute take a 45 then your bank resets and you can driver for 4 and a half hours before needing another break. These are driving rules and the working time directive rules difer in that you must take half an hours break after 6 hours work and yadayadadada most peeps don’t bother with this. So basicaly there is no minimum requirement to work a certain period of time before taking a break it’s at the discretion of the driver although your boss might think yuou are taking the ■■■■ if you drive for 10 minuts and then have a 45 minute break!

lol, you had no replies when I started typing that missive and now you have loads!

mrpj:

gogzy:

It doesn’t need to be within the 4.5hrs as it can be taken at the end.

well yea spose it can aswell. i just find it easier to remember that ive taken it withint he 4.5hours

Silver_Surfer:
These are driving rules and the working time directive rules difer in that you must take half an hours break after 6 hours work and yadayadadada most peeps don’t bother with this. So basicaly there is no minimum requirement to work a certain period of time before taking a break it’s at the discretion of the driver although your boss might think yuou are taking the ■■■■ if you drive for 10 minuts and then have a 45 minute break!

To comply with the WTD for mobile workers, you should not work for more than 6 hours before having a break of no less than 15 minutes.

I’ve no idea weather or not other people comply with this part of the WTD, but given that it’s VOSA’s job to enforce the WTD for mobile workers, it would stick out like a sore thumb if you got pulled and you hadn’t complied with this part of the regulations, weather or not VOSA check for the 6 hour rule I’ve no idea.

Stokie-in-Exmouth:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Stokie-in-Exmouth :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

Stokie-in-Exmouth:
thanks for the fast replies.
it does sound stupid to have a break so soon into the day but on tipper work sometimes you get to the site and you have to wait for the machine driver to fuel up so i pop it onto break.

It’s also ■■■■ handy when you oversleep on a Monday morning and end up cutting it FAR too fine for a booking at the other end of the country with a customer who only gives you a booking window so tiny you’d struggle to fit a moped into it. By putting your card in, pulling forward, and whacking it on break while you put your kit in etc. you can save what may turn out to be a crucial 15 minutes later by only needing half an hour’s break down the road…

…Not that I would ever be that daft… :blush: