Minibus D1 license license

Smart Mart:
If you wish to tow a heavy trailer you must first pass a test in the associated rigid vehicle. Learner drivers in categories B, C1, D1, D cannot tow a trailer of any size.

Worth pointing out that pre 1997 licence holders CAN go straight for C1E and D1E without having to pass the rigid tests.

BUT… they will have to take a medical and pass the relevant theory tests first.

SuperLez:

Smart Mart:
If you wish to tow a heavy trailer you must first pass a test in the associated rigid vehicle. Learner drivers in categories B, C1, D1, D cannot tow a trailer of any size.

Worth pointing out that pre 1997 licence holders CAN go straight for C1E and D1E without having to pass the rigid tests.

BUT… they will have to take a medical and pass the relevant theory tests first.

The C1E would be LGV and the D1E would be PCV.

allikat:
How many 7.5 tonners are being driven on pre-97 car tickets?

I wonder how many are being driven on post-97 licences in the belief that 7.5 tonners “can be driven on a car licence” :slight_smile:

Similarly, how many cat B post 97 licence holders are driving with trailers that require a B+E. On Friday I had 2 loads of soil conditioner, each weighing around 3 tonnes, delivered by a young man who had only passed his test 4 years ago, he didn’t have a B+E, and didn’t seem to care. He just said if he got caught he would blame his boss.

What he doesn’t realise is that he will be un-insured as he doesn’t have the correct licence!

Smart Mart:
Similarly, how many cat B post 97 licence holders are driving with trailers that require a B+E. On Friday I had 2 loads of soil conditioner, each weighing around 3 tonnes, delivered by a young man who had only passed his test 4 years ago, he didn’t have a B+E, and didn’t seem to care. He just said if he got caught he would blame his boss.

What he doesn’t realise is that he will be un-insured as he doesn’t have the correct licence!

With BE I reckon ignorance about the licence requirements would be the biggest problem as opposed to drivers knowing that they were doing anything wrong.

Heard that there are relatively few car and trailer tests carried out each year - and haven’t heard of anyone being done for driving these without having BE on their licence.

mrpj:

allikat:
How many 7.5 tonners are being driven on pre-97 car tickets?

I wonder how many are being driven on post-97 licences in the belief that 7.5 tonners “can be driven on a car licence” :slight_smile:

There really cannot be any excuse for this - TMs who have to hold an Operator CPC should be well aware of this.

Once again, haven’t heard of anyone being charged for driving 7.5 tonners without the C1.