Mini cabs using red deisel

pulled into the truckstop at watling st nr st albans and for the second time in a week i had to wait while a luton minicab driver filled up with red diesel and when i finished, another one pulled in behind me. these people are putting up their fares and blaming the credit crunch but are probably making more money than they have for years by running on illegal fuel…[zb]…if i did it would i get away with it ?.dont think so.

If it needs stars it’s not allowed. L.

Kiosk assistant shouldn’t be selling it to them, or if they are taking there details down incase of any mishaps with the police… Or if you feel that bad phone the cops and shop them?

its an automated site and they must have registered with keyfuels to get a card.and if i see them again ill ring the cops, i just think that these people are taking the ■■■■ and getting away with it while we cant seem to do anything right!

If they get away with it, Fine.
I can’t understand why you have a problem with them. Are they affecting your life in any way?
They are taking a chance and they will know what will happen if they get caught.
If we didn’t get ripped of with excessive fuel duty, Then they wouldn’t feel the need to use red diesel.

you’ll have to catch em twice
cos sorry guv i didnt know they sold 2 sorts

Mini cab rates are 10 times worse than trucking rates & if these boys are having to take the risk of having their cars crushed just to make a living ,good luck to them. Customs 'n Excise have the only growth industry in UK but if you want to give 'em a helping hand I am sure they will look after you when you need them. I believe they are a registered charity?

If they want to take the chance then let them get on with it. It’s not like they are competing with you, and as an ex taxi driver I can tell you that if the owner drivers were subject to the same driving and working time regulations as us they would starve. And when the local authorities do spot checks on them (which they do on a regular basis) they are checking vehicle condition, dipping the tank, checking for the driver’s immigration status, and benefits claimed and that they are registered employed/self employed and are paying their taxes. It’s not just us that suffer at the hands of officialdom, and with the rise in unlicensed mini-cabs we are not the only ones losing trade to rogue operators.

its there business, let them get on wi it, report them if you want-then it wouldnt have stewed in your head in the first place. the local councils make the rates, not the taxis. whilst i had taxis, i cant ever remember doin less than a grand a week- and when i had a dozen cars,it was mostly 3 grand, ive never had a mortgage on any house i own or a credit card- if they wanna squeeze another £40 quid a week then let em- personally id rather do the extra school run or airport run than subject my self to the worry of being dipped- and i certainly would never worry about someone else if their gonna get dipped.

kind regards

Mini cab rates are 10 times worse than trucking rates

Mini cab rates around here are extortionate, charged £7.00 for a 2.5 mile journey at 11 in the morning, I rang around 3 or 4 other cab companies only to be given the same price, if I could have got that rate for a truck I would still be in business.

To be fair. I would even worry about it, but I doubt the police will be interested anyway.

HMCE may be though. I have been dipped twice in my car, but that is because I must look like a rich farmer :stuck_out_tongue:

brados:

Mini cab rates are 10 times worse than trucking rates

Mini cab rates around here are extortionate, charged £7.00 for a 2.5 mile journey at 11 in the morning, I rang around 3 or 4 other cab companies only to be given the same price, if I could have got that rate for a truck I would still be in business.

I’ve driven a mini cab and there’s very little money in it. My wages used to come to around a third of my take so in the case above that would be about £2.30 and by the time the driver got to his next fare that would probably have taken up 20 minutes.

It’s cheaper to hire a 44 tonner than a taxi per mile, why?

Tiger.

Fastrantiger:

Tiger.

I doubt the taxi covers as many miles :wink:

Maybe its worth their while… get a cheap old clunker for a taxi, run it on red for aslong as possible. When it gets seized simply buy another cheapie.

Denis F:

Fastrantiger:

Tiger.

I doubt the taxi covers as many miles :wink:

Some years ago I did some stone haulage from Portland to London, at the time a taxi was £130 and the 38 tonner was £90 :unamused: In the years that have passed it’s still cheaper to hire an artic than a taxi, and a lot of taxi’s do the London run from this part of the world. Mind you I wouldn’t want to drive a (zb) taxi :wink:

Tiger.

Lankytim:
Maybe its worth their while… get a cheap old clunker for a taxi, run it on red for aslong as possible. When it gets seized simply buy another cheapie.

To register a taxi it must not be more than 3 yrs. old.

harry:

Lankytim:

Maybe but theres still pleny of old Primeras/toyotas on taxi plates knocking about on their last legs. One of those would be ideal. Great for “bang and blame” type insurance scams too.

limeyphil:
I can’t understand why you have a problem with them. Are they affecting your life in any way?
They are taking a chance and they will know what will happen if they get caught.
If we didn’t get ripped of with excessive fuel duty, Then they wouldn’t feel the need to use red diesel.

Great, so any law you don’t like you just ignore?

Why should everyone else pay proper taxes and someone else cheat the system?

It is part of being a civilised society…

TC

this must be something that is regulated by different areas in different ways as we have taxis that are older than 3 years.
Think its the same locally for private hire cars also.

The_Catman:

limeyphil:

Great, so any law you don’t like you just ignore?

Why should everyone else pay proper taxes and someone else cheat the system?

It is part of being a civilised society…
I AGREE WITH TC,ALSO SO THERE’S A CREDIT SQUEEZE AT MO?SO THAT MEANS IT’S FINE FOR EVERYBODY TO RUN THERE OWN PERSONAL CARS ON CHERRY TOO?I RATHER THINK NOT MATE… :open_mouth: :laughing:
TC