milk tankers

Any idea if these things have baffles? I’ve been running them to muller/wisemans and it likes to move around when you come to a brake/standstill!

Hmm. Not sure buddy.

I’m baffled.

eagerbeaver:
Hmm. Not sure buddy.

I’m baffled.

Whey heyyyyyy! :laughing:

Sorry pal. I’ll grab my coat.

as a rule no they dont . 1 lid no baffles, 2 lids 1baffle 3 lids 2baffels . mine as 5 lids so 4 baffles but that a GP tank .

Will it be at Silverstone today?

As a rule milk tankers do not have baffles. They operate on a simple mathematical formula; baffles + movement = cheese! :wink:

They want you to deliver Milk NOT Butter :smiley:

Did you check the interior of the tank after you CIP’d?
single or twin barrel?

nodding donkey:
Did you check the interior of the tank after you CIP’d?
single or twin barrel?

I didn’t have to cip anything. The job was literally pick up loaded tank, take to weigh bridge, drop off and return with a clean empty. Shunter sorted all the cip malarky out.

Never known milk tanker to have baffles … too many “corners” for residue. Not as easy to “look in tank” these days … most of the tanks I see have no man-lid or access to top of the tank, to check after CIP.
Can remember when I did ex-farm collection … used to have to climb up to sample … then go up with “spray-balls” to undo the blank-end and screw on ready to wash.
Not allowed these days … Health / Safety :unamused:

Sorry Guys, (might be a silly question, but) what does CIP mean ?

martinviking:

Clean in place I think. It’s to do with the washing of the tanks and valves etc as far as I know.

I am glad someone else asked that :slight_smile:

Michael Douglas:

martinviking:

Clean in place I think. It’s to do with the washing of the tanks and valves etc as far as I know.

Spot on. The tanker has built in spray bars and a pipe that feeds them which a hose is attached to with another attached to the outlet. When its CIP’d a mixture of cleaning chemicals and high pressure hot water is run through over a set cycle. Typically takes around 3/4hr for a milk tanker so a good way to get a 45 in.

Conor:

Michael Douglas:

martinviking:

Spot on. The tanker has built in spray bars and a pipe that feeds them which a hose is attached to with another attached to the outlet. When its CIP’d a mixture of cleaning chemicals and high pressure hot water is run through over a set cycle. Typically takes around 3/4hr for a milk tanker so a good way to get a 45 in.

Cheers, I take it that its CIP’d every day then ?

Cheers, I take it that its CIP’d every day then ?

IIRC the CIP time has to be less than 12 hrs, but I might be mistaken

Most milk reload tanks have baffles, single compartment tanks have 1 and generally twin compartment tanks are just 2 tanks without the need for baffles. We had some tanks made without baffles to save weight, but unless they were loaded to the max weight they were dangerous to pull, no matter how carefully you accelerated or slowed down the milk hitting the ends of the barrel gave a massive jolt.
In the end they were sent back to have baffles retro fitted before they ripped off the fifth wheels, as for milk turning into cheese or butter in transit that is just bullocks.
Milk can only be loaded onto a tank that has been cleaned within the last 24hrs, and most dairies insist that the milk is at the receiving dairy within 24hrs of the milk been collected from the first farm.
The tank wash or CIP usually lasts between 30 and 45 mins, and either acid or caustic is used as a detergent.

Hope that helps

Cheers Wrighty.

wrighty:
Most milk reload tanks have baffles, single compartment tanks have 1 and generally twin compartment tanks are just 2 tanks without the need for baffles. We had some tanks made without baffles to save weight, but unless they were loaded to the max weight they were dangerous to pull, no matter how carefully you accelerated or slowed down the milk hitting the ends of the barrel gave a massive jolt.
In the end they were sent back to have baffles retro fitted before they ripped off the fifth wheels, as for milk turning into cheese or butter in transit that is just bullocks.
Milk can only be loaded onto a tank that has been cleaned within the last 24hrs, and most dairies insist that the milk is at the receiving dairy within 24hrs of the milk been collected from the first farm.
The tank wash or CIP usually lasts between 30 and 45 mins, and either acid or caustic is used as a detergent.

Hope that helps

Cheers Wrighty.

thank you. I felt lost , having driven milk tankers for 10 years, with baffels. I thought I was wrong all those years …