Milk marketing board

Found this on ebay
AEC Milk Marketing Board.jpg

And another from ebay.Albion Clydesdale egro cab which were quite popular with the MMB.
Albion Clydesdale egro cab.jpg

Dave the Renegade:
They used to collect milk churns from the farms around this area ( Hereford- Mid Wales border ) until the early 70’s, then it changed to bulk collection with tankers, only the big farms carried on with milk. Kem transport used to collect around here from Marlbrook near Leominster, for the Cadbury factory which is based there.
All the farms used to have milk stands on the end of their lane, also stands in the villages where several farmers would bring their churns for collectiion.

best milk i ve ever tasted straight out of bulk tank on farm i used to work .

sammy dog:

Dave the Renegade:
They used to collect milk churns from the farms around this area ( Hereford- Mid Wales border ) until the early 70’s, then it changed to bulk collection with tankers, only the big farms carried on with milk. Kem transport used to collect around here from Marlbrook near Leominster, for the Cadbury factory which is based there.
All the farms used to have milk stands on the end of their lane, also stands in the villages where several farmers would bring their churns for collectiion.

best milk i ve ever tasted straight out of bulk tank on farm i used to work .

Powys County Council have just granted planning permission for a 1,000 cow milking parlour at Leighton near Welshpool.
I think that is a precedent for more to follow.

Hi Stanfield, I missed out on the MMB days but spent some time there as Milk Marque, spent a lot of time at Clitheroe and Macclesfield.

Most of the depots had staff that had been there from leaving school, the Milk industry was a cracking Job, maybe still is !!

Taken at Downham Nr Clitheroe

Same place 30 yrs later

I was driver at the Tunbridge Wells depot from 1966 to about `78, when I started they were still running 32 “Thames Traders” on churn collections and just 2 Albion Clydesdale tankers on bulk, I quite enjoyed my time there but when the operation became entirely bulk collection and they were able to hold the milk overnight, 02:00 starts where the order of things with a run to London, usually Bromley or Morden to tip, then a first collection run and back to the dairy followed by a second run and back to the depot.

The runs consisted of anything from 8 to 12 farms as there were still a lot of small ones left from the churn days, quite a few packed up as it was not viable for them, the beginning of the modern way ?, it was good while it lasted though.

Sniffy:
Taken at Downham Nr Clitheroe

Same place 30 yrs later

brilliant post Sniffy - thanks :smiley:

Excellent pics Steve.I only went across to Clitheroe depot a couple of times on relief when one of the fitters was on holiday but when they were closing the Chadderton depot I had chance of relocating to the workshop at Clitheroe but decided to take redundancy instead that was in 1976.and then from there I went to Townsons/Sadlers for 24yrs.But I must say what a great firm to work for.

I used to work for the Milk Marketing Board in the late 60s for about 18 months.

I was based at the Horbury Junction Depot near Wakefield. We moved from a haulage company called Paceys, as Milk Marketing Board took over the company. We used to pick up milk churns and deliver them to Pontefract, Barnsley, Express Dairies at Wakefield.

I used to pick up around Sheffield, near Lady Bower Dam, Pontefract and Howarth

I used to drive a green Thames Trader but then I was promoted onto a D Series Ford. If I remember rightly, the man in charge was nicknamed Darky as he was always very dark from the grease/muck and he used to live up Wrenthorpe or Kirkhamgate way.

Also we had a couple of Albion Riever 4 wheel tankers. I remember one being driven by a lad named George King, then I went to Express Dairies which was delivered in milk bottle form.

corvette159:
I used to work for the Milk Marketing Board in the late 60s for about 18 months.

I was based at the Horbury Junction Depot near Wakefield. We moved from a haulage company called Paceys, as Milk Marketing Board took over the company. We used to pick up milk churns and deliver them to Pontefract, Barnsley, Express Dairies at Wakefield.

I used to pick up around Sheffield, near Lady Bower Dam, Pontefract and Howarth

I used to drive a green Thames Trader but then I was promoted onto a D Series Ford. If I remember rightly, the man in charge was nicknamed Darky as he was always very dark from the grease/muck and he used to live up Wrenthorpe or Kirkhamgate way.

Also we had a couple of Albion Riever 4 wheel tankers. I remember one being driven by a lad named George King, then I went to Express Dairies which was delivered in milk bottle form.

I think George king was around as depot/area manager up until a few years ago, was friends with john Whiston who is still around for Lloyd frazer at dalton and in a previous life both were with Dairy products transport as area managers

An old time MMB sub contractor!

5336_229241225430_591840430_8030921_573055_n.jpg

hi folks, i worked for the mmb. around 68/69 from billericay depot in essex,we had old thames traders then and then moved up to the new D series i think it was, i never liked milk but love cream,i used to pickup from two farms with jerseys every morning i would have a nice drop of cream until i started to get all these spots all over my face only drank orange juice after that,happy days.

transportphotos.com/road/photos (Bob Hobbs collection)
MMB B Series ERF with twin axle trailer

VS00356.jpg

my father drove this in the 70’s launceston depot the depot manager was tony howard,wonder where tony is now

Hi there…I think Tony Howard went on to manage the Chard DPT depot till it closed in the mid 90’s…He lives in Burnham on sea…or did…havnt seen him for a little while…when I do I shall mention that you were asking after him…cheers…Bryan

I know I might start a riot on this thread,but in IMHO the MMB was just about,no WAS,the most dictitorial,obnoxious and overbearing customer a haulier could work for!They(the MMB) acted as if they were God and their hauliers were terrified of them,they just asked “how high” when The Board said jump and they did not like it one bit when you stood up to them and told them in no uncertain terms that they couldn’t treat decent hauliers in the same manor as they tret their “Serf hauliers”.I recall telling an arrogant MMB female in one of their offices “where to get off” when she thought she could dictate to Bewick Transport in a similar fashion she dealt with their regular hauliers,I had to hold the reciever a foot away from my ear with this ■■■■■ screaming at me that Bewick Transport would never work for The Board ever again ! I told her that I had a better idea,I’m going to instruct our traffic office that I’ve put the MMB on our Black List and if they didn’t pay as per our credit terms I’d take them to Court !! She slammed the phone down,or possibly passed out ! We’d only just done them a “Great Favour” when they got us,at short notice,to run them a couple of loads of GKN pallets in from Trafford Park.Then when we sent them the invoice,at the agreed rates,with payment required in 30 days,month following,this Bolshi Cow comes on laying the law down as if we one of their regular hauliers.We never had customers as bad as the MMB came over so she was told,not in as many words,to go and ■■■■ herself !!Happy,but sometimes very interesting,days.Cheers Bewick.

17841_253076202910_598887910_3291102_7466364_n.jpgHeres a ERF plus tank in Dairy Crest Livery operated by Dairy Products Transport…picture taken at their Highbridge Somerset depot…

H reg Albion Clydesdale belonging to the long gone MMB, dont know which depot its from though as they were all registered in Surrey.The ones we had based at chadderton were J&K reg.

D Series Ford replaced the Thames Traders which were once favoured by the MMB

The Leyland Clydesdale replaced the LAD & Egro cabbed Albions

Leyland Freighters then replaced the Clyesdales
Leyland Freighter..jpg