Military and civilan work

Hey everyone. A few questions about my military work with class 1 agency work on the side I will be starting soon. I’m currently in the military doing 4 on 4 off. Even though a driver by trade this is all ‘desk work’. These are 12 hour shifts equating to 48hours a week, after break is deducted it’s 40hours.

1. Do I need to record all my military work as manual entries on my tacho? Even though we are exempt tacho and CPC, working for the agency will bring me under civi regs.

2. Even though well within driving hours due to desk job do I need to watch the 60hours WTD? Is this heavily enforced ? I assume I can’t waiver this? Who will actually know if I don’t record the military work by manual entries?

Thanks for all your help in advance, any more advice is welcome.

Joe.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK :wink:

Joepateman:
Hey everyone. A few questions about my military work with class 1 agency work on the side I will be starting soon. I’m currently in the military doing 4 on 4 off. Even though a driver by trade this is all ‘desk work’. These are 12 hour shifts equating to 48hours a week, after break is deducted it’s 40hours.

Joepateman:

1. Do I need to record all my military work as manual entries on my tacho? Even though we are exempt tacho and CPC, working for the agency will bring me under civi regs.

In weeks that you drive in-scope of EU regulations any other work done should be recorded as other work, legally these records should be on tachograph charts or printouts but the DVSA will accept records kept in a diary/notebook.
For none HGV driving days you only need to record the start and finish times so the DVSA can see that you’ve had the correct daily/weekly rest periods.

In my opinion you should never attempt to manually input none driving days work into a tachograph, it’s not legally required and there’s a very real chance of making mistakes … so don’t do it :wink:

Joepateman:
2. Even though well within driving hours due to desk job do I need to watch the 60hours WTD? Is this heavily enforced ? I assume I can’t waiver this? Who will actually know if I don’t record the military work by manual entries?

Your usual work does not count towards working time for mobile workers working time regulations so you won’t go over the 60 hours working time nor the 48 hour working time average per week.
The 60 hours maximum working time is part of the RT(WT)R 2005 which is not currently enforced by the DVSA.

Very clear and concise, much appreciated.

Im amazed that someone in Defence would want/need/be allowed a second job.

Star down under.:

Guessing it could be to fill in time (4 on 4 off)
Guessing it could be to develop a skill set ready for demob.

Star down under.:

As long as you’re signed off to earn “extra income” and your job won’t risk bringing the service into disrepute it’s accepted.

Soldiers doing door work on the side carry risks such as getting injured, getting into fights and having to go to court. However driving a lorry is not really an issue. I’m allowed to do it, and I know others that are.

Personally I’m doing it to gain experience for when I leave so I’m not faced with the “you’ve no experience” wall. It means I may he able to get a half decent job on leaving.

Personally I’m doing it to gain experience for when I leave so I’m not faced with the “you’ve no experience” wall. It means I may he able to get a half decent job on leaving.
[/quote]
So you won’t be looking for a driving job if you want something half decent :wink:

Beau Nydel:

So you won’t be looking for a driving job if you want something half decent :wink:
[/quote]
Haha touché!