mileage pay

when you guys are paid on miles … is it actual miles recorded in truck or miles calculated by traffic office…

Miles calculated by the office, usually with ‘milemeter’ app. Although on my job I get a regular weekly minimum and all jobs are paid by the trip, each assignment to come to the truck shows the miles for that trip and it is very rarely as high as the miles covered. Ben & Jerry’s in St Albans VT from Yonkers shows up as 317 miles when the shortest route is 330 miles, I only ever remember the miles on a trip being exact and it was from Worcester MA to Tonowana NJ.
The first trucking company I drove for here would send us to Bangor ME and it was well bellow the actual miles by at least 100 m, I protested because with a 53ft trailer we had to go via Portsmouth NH and up I-95 and not across the back roads as they paid, eventually they agree’d to ue booking yard to Portsmouth, then Porstmouth NH to Bangor ME, it put that 100 miles back in our pay.
One of our runs at the monment is hauling out of a place near Fearless Mills PA but involves tacking our empty tanker to Newark DE, drop and hook to a clean one before heading up to the shipper, none of that empty milage is accounted for … So I will not do it, I take the dirty tanker to the shipper and it’s their problem.

Knowing most companies some what less than the Real mileage !
Its the road to ruin , if they want a subbie then let them use real subbies with their own trucks and price per drop !
Dont do it !

Nowadays I’m paid by the km , actual kms driven , but back along when on long haul it was by the mile and city limit to city limit which was a crock of ■■■■■ .

Although some pay what they call hub (actual miles travelled) miles, most use a computer programme like PC Miler.

They use this to charge the customers too. You can win or lose on this system, sometimes you do more than it says, sometimes you do less.

I worked out my paid miles against actual miles a couple of years ago and I was underpaid by 2%, but factor in shunting around yards, truckstops etc and it balances out.

Under the current system, with a good dispatcher you can earn more than you ever could under an hourly pay structure as long as you keep the left door closed and get down the road.

For it to be a decently paid job, as well as the mileage pay, you also need hourly pay for waiting time, paid deliveries/collections, extra pay for work where you can’t belt down the road all day (e.g. in BC or Northern Ontario) border crossings/ferries etc.

Be fair Mark you know whatever country your in what ever the pay structure is any decent firm pays drivers who do the job how they need it done well.
Some people make out the uk job is ■■■■ and everyone is on minimum wage there not the Canada gig as you know can be shockingly bad but can also be a decent job and way of life.

I said it on the other thread Kev, there are decent jobs around wherever you are.

Not all Poles and Ronanians deserted their homeland in search of better jobs, some of them were already doing good at home.

The good jobs are few though, no matter where you are in the World.

Good jobs are also open to interpretation, one man’s meat…

I get paid for exactly what I do. If I do 2756 miles this week, I’ll get paid for 2756 miles next week, plus my picks and drops. They do check the miles against what you’ve written down and if its way out they’ll ask why but if you explain you get paid. I often take a longer but quicker route to miss out congested areas such as NYC and always get paid for 100% of the miles I’ve driven.

OMG Robinhood comes out with a positive comment about a NB company: lol:

Been on the beer driver■■? :laughing:

newmercman:
OMG Robinhood comes out with a positive comment about a NB company: lol:

Been on the beer driver■■? :laughing:

lol like I say, NB isn’t all bad. The worst thing here is working for reefer companies because its all chasing around the triangle with huge amounts of unpaid waiting time during the day, made up with driving all night on a re-wrote log book. Dry van work isn’t too bad, even if its triangle because you don’t get messed around for hours like you do at cold stores so you can keep her moving all day and sleep all night, as it should be. The company I work for are a conservative christian community who run a large greenhouse operation and they all live on site in their own village. Locals call them a cult, I don’t care what they are, they have a reputation of treating their drivers better than any one else in the Maritimes and I’ve found that to be true so far. In peak seasons all 15 or so of their trucks are engaged in delivering their flowers and plants to garden centres, mainly in New England, NJ and PA etc but they also go all over the continent, but only if the drivers wants to. The rest of the time most of the trucks just run on general haulage doing the same work as the other local companies, except this company wont sit back and see you wait 8 hours at a cold store and if you did, they’d pay you for it. I’ve only been here a month though, so plenty of time for the job to go New Brunswick yet! Hopefully it’ll turn out to be one of those decent jobs you talk about.

PCMiller at our place, although in fairness if We write which way we’ve gone on our trip envelope they pay us that way IE I 39/I 80 to get round Chicago & the likes, if I’m oversize (I know I know) then I just write My permitted route down & they pay that.

As for mileage pay being good or bad I don’t really find it to be either Myself its how We get paid end of & as long as Your on a good rate & are getting the miles its fine, I’m lucky I do around 11k per month but when all My bits & bobs are totted up its the same as doing 14k at some dry freight van companies.

we were paid milage to city limits (think CAlgary) then by the pick /drop …crock o ■■■■ when you had 4-5 pdsand shop -shop fitness depot crap. drove about 70-90mls round the city and it took allday! big wage not!!
one thing though milage was worked out on main routes soooo i learned a lot off short cuts in AB and SK. and when i landed with set routes it worked well.
but overall hr paid is the way it should be…until the one greedy ,coffee swilling ■■■■ ruins it for all.
jimmy

That’s why you need a combination of mileage and hourly pay :bulb:

If we do multidrop in the same city (once in a blue moon) or tip/load trailers from a drop yard (e.g. Calgary) we go on the clock. Even to the point of a 9am appointment for the first one, which takes 20mins and a 6pm appointment for the second, we’re paid all day, even though we’re sitting on our arse all day (I like those jobs a lot :sunglasses: )

But still, some of our drivers kick off about it and refuse to do it, they can’t seem to get out of the “not earning if the wheels ain’t turning” mentality :unamused:

Like flysheet, the stuff I get paid for my extras and add ons would take an extra few thousand miles each month to achieve on mileage only :bulb:

It seems beyond the comprehension of the vast majority of the locals though, with them it’s all about doing big miles :cry:

We get paid per km as recorded on our daily trip sheets handed in at the end of every shift - so at least we get paid for getting lost :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

but why are the native people so hell bent on miles. when with all your bits and bobs its gotta be the way to go… looking at the roads out there … a lot of these high milers gotta be, work to bed most of the time cos even though you aint got the traffic. it is still what it is… high miles…equals knackered…

They don’t know any better and they have no interest in knowing. They all yearn for the good old days of running from NB to Winnipeg in one hit and how big they were for popping pills and beating their mates to destination. Despite the fact these same guys look like they’re 70 when they’re only 45-50 and have had multiple heart attacks and have to take umpteen types of medication to stay alive, all they’re bothered about is running day and night, never going home, never seeing their wife and kids.

The best bit is that most of these cowboys don’t actually do any more work than you or I. They never have 8 or 10 hours off at night, they’ll sleep a few hours, drive a few, until fatigue almost has them careering off the road, before having another 4 or 5 hour nap. They’re in constant log book violation, they’re constantly tired but at the same time, they are constantly getting over taken by the European drivers who are used to doing a full days work, followed by a full and legal rest at night. We make better use of our legally allowed driving hours and get the job done, while they’re pratting about with their 3 hours drive, followed by 2 hours sleep, followed by 5 hours drive, followed by 3 hours sat in a truckstop chatting crap with their other like minded mates, followed by 90 minutes drive, followed by 3 hours sleep etc. You get the picture.

I used to work with these sorts of fools when I was on for Donnelly Farms. They just couldn’t understand why the European drivers would want to drive for 5-6 hours, have an hour off and then drive for another 5-6 hours and do our 11, followed by 10 off. Yet we arrived on time, they usually didn’t, we were not tired, they undoubtedly were and we didn’t constantly get caught committing a multitude of log book offences, which they most certainly did and all this to take 2 identical loads to the same place, from the same place. Its a matter of mentalities and theirs will take some changing, and I doubt it will ever change.

robinhood_1984:
They don’t know any better and they have no interest in knowing. They all yearn for the good old days of running from NB to Winnipeg in one hit and how big they were for popping pills and beating their mates to destination. Despite the fact these same guys look like they’re 70 when they’re only 45-50 and have had multiple heart attacks and have to take umpteen types of medication to stay alive, all they’re bothered about is running day and night, never going home, never seeing their wife and kids.

The best bit is that most of these cowboys don’t actually do any more work than you or I. They never have 8 or 10 hours off at night, they’ll sleep a few hours, drive a few, until fatigue almost has them careering off the road, before having another 4 or 5 hour nap. They’re in constant log book violation, they’re constantly tired but at the same time, they are constantly getting over taken by the European drivers who are used to doing a full days work, followed by a full and legal rest at night. We make better use of our legally allowed driving hours and get the job done, while they’re pratting about with their 3 hours drive, followed by 2 hours sleep, followed by 5 hours drive, followed by 3 hours sat in a truckstop chatting crap with their other like minded mates, followed by 90 minutes drive, followed by 3 hours sleep etc. You get the picture.

I used to work with these sorts of fools when I was on for Donnelly Farms. They just couldn’t understand why the European drivers would want to drive for 5-6 hours, have an hour off and then drive for another 5-6 hours and do our 11, followed by 10 off. Yet we arrived on time, they usually didn’t, we were not tired, they undoubtedly were and we didn’t constantly get caught committing a multitude of log book offences, which they most certainly did and all this to take 2 identical loads to the same place, from the same place. Its a matter of mentalities and theirs will take some changing, and I doubt it will ever change.

Don’t know about you but I find the worst offenders are some of the european immigrants that came here just to be able to do precisely what you have just described…no time for those cowboys

On the road again:

robinhood_1984:

Don’t know about you but I find the worst offenders are some of the european immigrants that came here just to be able to do precisely what you have just described…no time for those cowboys

You took the words right off my keyboard driver :laughing:

On the road again:

No, personally I don’t find that to be the case.

Of the Brit drivers I know, quite a few of them have gone ‘native’ and run their logs from the odometer, regardless of weather, construction etc.

If they’ve done 110kms in a 110km/h limit, it takes an hour on paper. If their company has a lower allowable limit, they drive to that every day, so a 105km/h company limit would give them 1155kms a day.

The only thing with that is that most trips don’t break down into a 1155km average, so they run bent all week and do a couple of hundred KMs on the last day.

Mist trips are also easily done in less than 70hrs, so what’s the point in making them look like you did them in 51hrs when you could legally do them in 55hrs?

Then there are the ones like Robinhood describes, 5hrs driving, 3hrs sleep etc etc, they are never legal from the minute they stop the first time, they never get any work done and they’re always knackered.

It is ■■■■■ like this that will ■■■■ this job for everyone, the revised laws in the USA have been mandated because of these drivers, the EOBR will be next and that will give us all a headache in some way.

I know that sounds hypocritical, but running 15mins over your time or having a break while sitting in a traffic jam are one thing, almost like using common sense.

Complete disregard for the laws are something completely different :cry: