Mileage on the tacho

I was just wondering where you take the mileage
of your truck from to enter it on to the tacho. I was
shown to take the mileage from the clock but today
It got me thinking when this other driver put the mileage
off the tacho and it looks odd when one puts 23,000 km
and someone else puts 37,000 km even though they the
same when the miles from the clock is converted to km.

Which is the correct place to get the mileage from or
dont it matter as I have not had a problem even when
vosa stopped me on that weighbridge at tankersly

I think you’ll find that the rule is to use km as the tacho chart has km printed on it. If you start using miles then all your data will be wrong & you’re the one that will get it in the neck. I know a few smart - a**es do change the settings option to miles just so they can try & catch out the next driver, but I always use the tacho reading rather than the dashboard one. I’m guessing you were lucky with VOSA but I’m surprised your TM hasn’t picked up the discrepancy.

I’ve always used the rule of thumb that the tacho is what the authorities use in collecting the data (and what they would prosecute with) therefore I record all the necessary data on the chart from the tacho.

Whether right or wrong I don’t know, but a case of CYOA!!!

You might be right tallyman someone could
have changed it as this is the first day I have
used this truck as the other driver as gone on
holiday for the week. I only noticed when I put it
on break. I will put the mileage off the tacho from
know on.

If you have a digital dash display you can probably switch it to KM anyway so it matches the Tacho.

I always use the Tacho - have had a couple of occasions where the displays differed … … … (even when they are both in KM !!)

G

Yes, it must be the tacho (ie km) reading because otherwise the distance trace will not match up to the distance travelled which you’ve filled in manually if you use the miles figure, so anyone analysing your tacho will give you an infringement for entering incorrect figures. I know DAFS & MANs can both have their dashboard displays changed & after getting caught out once a few years ago I’ve just got inoto the habit of only using the tacho figure.