Midway Truckstop under new ownership

Been going in this place on an occasional basis for the best part of 30 years. As those of you who know the place will be aware, it’s a proper old-fashioned transport cafe…reasonably priced decent grub, served promptly and good parking availability.

It’s changed hands recently; and it would seem that the new owner has an attitude problem. I went in, looked at the menu board, ordered a bacon and mushroom sandwich. Now, according to the board, a sausage or bacon sandwich on its own is £3.20, sausage and mushroom £3.25, sausage and bacon £3.65. So when I was asked to pay £3.75 I naturally queried it politely.

The lady on the till said she was new and wasn’t sure; owner came out of the kitchen, I pointed out the discrepancy, again politely and reasonably. The response from him, sarcastically, “I don’t suppose you’ve been shopping lately have you, but prices have gone up you know”.

Asked for my money back and went to the Raven.

Well that is what what comes of ordering off menu, mate…
A la carte is always more expensive.

Was the wine list any good? :grinning:

2 Likes

OK I’ll bite, where is Midway and where is the Raven? Apart from a few forays to UK from here I haven’t driven the roads of England for over 25 years. Of course I could have used them regularly in those days and my memory is not what it was. :roll_eyes:

Been something of a regular at Stibbington Diner in the interim though. :joy:

It looks like the kind of location where “men are men and sheep are scared”, a place where they’d need a Star Trek Universal Translator to understand the drivers I mix with :wink:
And where any “sarnie” not constructed from the correct bread product for such a greasy snack, would be met by an incredulous “whey man y’not gorrenny stotties like?”

“Stotties” are the correct bread product because internally they tend to resemble swiss cheese, having lots of little “craters” which hold the fats/oils inside

Thanks for that culinary delight, not somewhere that was on my regular routes on days gone by.

As a comparison, and knowing how Americans are obsessed with food, the American drivers’ site has a very long thread called ‘where are you?’ which has decended recently into a series of pictures of food. This is the latest offering today and the comment with it is ’ the goo to the right is their version of fried apples’. :rofl:

Fried apples? Sounds like something you’d get from a scottish chippy.
I guess Americans don’t want to risk having too few calories in their daily intake and need to de-healthify nasty things like fruit

Yes, they do seem overly intent on not wasting away.

Ok, the goo on the right is ‘fried apple’-what the hell is the rest and do you eat it or repair potholes with it?

Never had anything much to eat there.
But I know in the summer I go up on my motorbike. Is a popular meeting place…
And at times there’s trucks parked up on the grounds.mainly older ones kind.like a small truck show I guess.seems to be a meeting point in summer for trucks and bikes

And the café makes a fortune in tea and coffee during the summer months.
Let alone on the food sales.