Midlands to Peterlee

Hiya Folks

Just been told my run on Monday is up to Peterlee via Malton, so I popped that into Autoroute (with the speeds set as per HGV) for it to tell me I was looking at a 12h round trip of driving.

The route specified by Autoroute came out as:

M69, M1, A19 to under York, A64 to Malton

B1257 to Thirsk, then A19 to Middlesbrough, and up to Peterlee.

Now, Autoroute puts that at 5h one way. Spoke to the boss and he said their drivers have done it in the past without problem but I also know their drivers are, ahem, flexible on their speeds, shall we say.

So, is that a recommended route? Is the A19 a single or dual carriageway?

Rang the boss back up with my information and he said he’d get back to me. Not got a problem in doing that route but I also said that just going up the M1 A1 straight to Peterlee comes in at 5 hours!

Changing the speed a little suggests a route of M69/M1 then M1/A1 coming off at the A64 to York. After Malton it still says the B1257 to Thirsk but how is that for taking an 18t truck down. When I did it last week I missed the turn and went up to Pickering then across to Thirsk before heading south (as another drop in that area) but I’ve not been as far north as north of Middlesbrough before!

Just stay on the M1 A1M and pick up the A 19 at dishforth, well signed you cannot! Should not miss it. Dual carriageway all the way to peterlee.

Why via Malton ? Do you have a drop there ? If not dont go near , go as previous post and if it takes 5 hours I’ll eat straw with a donkey (f zb I’m regreting this already ) Let us know how you get on .
Jim

If he hasn’t got a drop at Malton he ain’t gonna go on a detour just for the fun of it is he?! B1257 is tight in places but I do it regularly in an attic fully loaded without a problem. You will also encounter Sutton Bank on the A170 before you hit Thirsk but as before it’s fine in a fully loaded artic just go nice and steady down!

Nah, got a drop in Malton, 5am booking but I know they’re open earlier so I’ll get in there sooner. If they can’t take me then I’ll have a nap :wink:

I have found that the more miles I can get done before 6-7am the better for these longer days. They’re longer for me because I’m not used to them as much as most regular long distance drivers.

Mr Xamtex has informed me that he used to do Middlesbrough to Coventry in 4 hours in the past, which does help a little, but I expect to use a lot of my hours up. Having looked at it with Google it seems easier so I guess my autoroute could be out of date. That gives M69/M1/A64 to Malton is 152 miles whilst Malton to Peterlee is 69 miles.

Thanks to Slackbladder, A19 being a DC does help things considerably too :wink:

I don’t want to [zb] it up but at the same time I’m not wanting to break the law to get the job done either… :unamused: :unamused:

I went over Sutton Bank there last week and it was, erm, interesting. Saw plenty of signs banning ‘heavy vehicles’ and ‘caravans’ yet a Volvo artic was powering up with a fully loaded trailer of stone. I was sure he’d get a surprise like those other cars putting their foot down to get to the top, having passed a very slow AA van with it’s lights flashing away going uphill towing a car and a caravan!!!

I wouldn’t even attempt it loaded as it costs a fortune to get recovered off there and the police take a very dim view of it! Seen a few turning round after the first incline in the gateway.

Saratoga:
Changing the speed a little suggests a route of M69/M1 then M1/A1 coming off at the A64 to York. After Malton it still says the B1257 to Thirsk but how is that for taking an 18t truck down. When I did it last week I missed the turn and went up to Pickering then across to Thirsk before heading south (as another drop in that area) but I’ve not been as far north as north of Middlesbrough before!

A169 between Malton and Pickering been crap last week or so as relaying it. Got a convoy system going, but as looks like be up that way early shouldnt be a prob really.

Personally I go from Malton to Helmsley on B1257, then pick up A170 down to Thirsk via Sutton Bank. Should do it within the hour

From Malton I would head back down A64 to the york ring rd 1237 follow Thirsk signs,A19 single road, till Thirsk roundabout then dual to Peterlee. sat nav shows same route as Ist option. Sutton bank is none advisable for large vehicles. plenty farm vehicles on other roads

i have regular done Tamworth to Peterlee in 3 1/2 hours in an artic, M42, A42, M1, M18, A1, A164 (i think) at Dishforth airfield, that turns in to A19 all way to Peterlee

it is all duel carriageway and motorway

trucknetman:
From Malton I would head back down A64 to the york ring rd 1237 follow Thirsk signs,A19 single road, till Thirsk roundabout then dual to Peterlee. sat nav shows same route as Ist option. Sutton bank is none advisable for large vehicles. plenty farm vehicles on other roads

That is a hell of a detour though! The 1257 is fine as not a great deal of traffic uses it and you can get ya foot down if ya want. Sutton bank is fine to go down with a truck so long as you brake it down before you go round the corner at the top of the hill. Ive had no problems going down at 44t before.

JFC999:
Why via Malton ? Do you have a drop there ? If not dont go near , go as previous post and if it takes 5 hours I’ll eat straw with a donkey (f zb I’m regreting this already ) Let us know how you get on .
Jim

this is gotta be a contender for comedy post of the year :laughing: :laughing:

xfmatt:
I wouldn’t even attempt it loaded as it costs a fortune to get recovered off there and the police take a very dim view of it! Seen a few turning round after the first incline in the gateway.

i’ve been down it loads at 44t, but only up empty, but only if it was dry in a artic. i’ve seen one artic stuck and he was empty in the damp, although he did eventually get up and my dad pulled an empty artic with a AA recovery truck.

but i’ve drove up staxton hill and garrowby hill at 44t loads, the only time i got stuck on staxton was because the mid lift wouldn’t lift, had to turn it off to reset everything then good to go and it was at night with no traffic so no drama!!

When I went down Sutton Bank I was in an 18t Merc 1823 with only one 800kg pallet left on board :wink:

However, on Monday AM i’ll probably have at least 6 pallets on, but it’s only got a payload of 8000kg and Malton are having 1.5t on two pallets I’d think.

But thanks for all your help everyone :wink:

Stevieboy. ! I accept , Jim
It’s just the way the original post was worded as if TM was sending him via Malton as best route. I’m not totally thick I just help 'em out when there busy !
Jim

No, the route plan is up to me. I was told the companies and their location coupled with what time they opened and could recieve their goods. I was at Malton last week for a 5am booking and they were open before that, so on Monday I’ll go earlier.

Last week up to Malton took me about 3.5 hrs sticking to the speed limits and you guys are saying Malton to Peterlee via Thirsk will take me an hour to an hour and a half, which is doable I guess, but the Malton to Thirsk bit this time shouldn’t go via Pickering. I guess i missed the turn last time and the SN recalculated without me noticing. Which, considering I turn the volume off to stop it annoying me is understandable. My SN doesn’t respond to swearing yet, alas.

3.5hrs to Malton then 1hr 45m to Peterlee via Hovington, Thirsk and A19. 4hr 45m to get back to base, Via Melmerby for a drop…

Can you not run in, in the morning then?

Malton to Peterlee took 1hr 20. Made a mistake with earlier figures but I’ve got 2hr 30 to go and and at M1 woodall for a break so should be back and driven for 9hr 30m! :astonished: