Middle lane annoyances

Has anybody else noticed those slogans painted on the n/b and s/b bridges on the M6 near Forton?
Obviously the guy is a bit of a saddo with far too much times on his hands in his life, but he’s painted things like…
‘‘Why are you a middle lane moron’’
‘‘Good drivers keep left’’
‘‘Why are you hogging the middle lane’’.

To be fair it was having a bit of an effect the 4 times I’ve been on that stretch this week, where cars have seen them and pulled over. :smiley:
Maybe an idea for official signs?

Incidentally it is getting worse around the country, and certainly getting no better, especially in roadworks where it affects us.

At the risk of being accused of knocking the Police again :blush: ,…where tf are they exactly?? :unamused:
Not like them to miss the opportunity to raise a bit if cash under the guise of road safety :open_mouth: …sorry there I go again. :blush: :laughing:
Why not give HATO the power to ‘‘police’’ it…? :bulb:

Also trucks now hogging middle lanes and not pulling over for miles…wtf is that all about? :unamused:

Oh bless you’re held up in roadworks… and you now want the police to intervene■■? [emoji6][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Me, and a lot of people I know have noticed a decline in driving standards over the last few years, and like you say, it also seems to have spread to lorry drivers as well. For various reasons I don’t think it’ll get any better either.

Pass safely on the nearside = sorted :smiley:

May well be just me but it seems like the further right you go (lane wise) the more traffic travelling on those lanes. :confused:

I believe this type of ‘lane hogging’ is being taught as part of their driver tution.
I’ve seen many learner drivers doing it. And on a popular morning radio show once, the ‘posse’ discussed this very issue. Alarmingly, and bearing in mind their influence on their listenership, they concluded that the nearside lane ‘should only be used when you’re exiting the carriageway’.

Monkey241:
Oh bless you’re held up in roadworks… and you now want the police to intervene■■? [emoji6][emoji1787]

:smiley:

GORDON 50:
Me, and a lot of people I know have noticed a decline in driving standards over the last few years, and like you say, it also seems to have spread to lorry drivers as well. For various reasons I don’t think it’ll get any better either.

All the more reason to end private vehicle ownership, and force people to use public transport.

The rapid deterioration in already poor driving capabilities since mass house arrest of the nation came to a (probably temporary) end has been saddening, record level incompetence now the norm among all classes of vehicle.

The other issue is the increasing traffic levels, especially now with rapidly rising fuel prices as the climate scam matures nicely, where are all these cars going.
Yes we have continued mass immigration both legal and illegal which no one elected, and few of those employed, to keep the country and its borders secure seem in the least bothered about, and whilst those numbers will have an constant effect on commercial traffic levels in order to house feed and service the increasing numbers, they can’t account for the increasing traffic volumes.

As for middle lane hoggers i’ve stopped taking any notice of them and just mind my own business driving along in the lane i’m in, the travelling lane unless overtaking, if the travelling lane happens to be running faster than the overtaking lanes so be it, maintaining normal progress.

ROG:

This ^^^ every time.

Monkey241:

Oh right, ok, so you want ANOTHER ‘Usefulness of the Police’’ debate? :neutral_face:
Btw…Not held up as such, just making a comment on an observation, but thanks for the kind words anyway.

To answer your question…my suggestion of intervention was HATO tbf.
(Police are obviously too busy with more important stuff. :laughing: )
Is that not what the police are paid for?

Whenever I compare their money making excercises with doing proper crime addressing police work…(do you remember those days Mr Monkey? ) I get the ‘‘Different departments’’ chestnut.
Surely traffic division IS actually traffic, including where there is no use of revenue cameras or have I missed something??

the maoster:

ROG:

This ^^^ every time.

Especially when travelling up the M42 past the NEC on a Friday afternoon and everyone is sat crawling in lanes 1, 2 & 3 and they open the hard shoulder to all lanes running, and your able to fly past them all saving 15-20 minutes :smiley:

Anyone in lanes 2/3/4 is obviously only an issue to trucks if they are running slower than 56 mph and that’s the real question.
Bearing in mind that ‘smart’ motorways often mean 4 lanes all limited to 50 or even 40 mph.
There was a disconnect in the idea of use lane 1 except for overtaking from the point when speed limits were introduced.Let alone the same 50 mph limit applied in lane 4 as in lane 1.
Motorways are no longer roads meant to move traffic anywhere fast.With the exception of the M40 just an over regulated liability designed to move a lot of traffic slowly with the downside of being caught for hours in unavoidable jams often with better non motorway alternatives.At best the M40 being subject to revenue raising speed traps with lane 1 often being good for well over 70 mph running let alone lane 3.

LazyDriver:
I believe this type of ‘lane hogging’ is being taught as part of their driver tution.
I’ve seen many learner drivers doing it. And on a popular morning radio show once, the ‘posse’ discussed this very issue. Alarmingly, and bearing in mind their influence on their listenership, they concluded that the nearside lane ‘should only be used when you’re exiting the carriageway’.

What along with the "you see a truck in the near side lane indicating to pull out. You are driving on a three lane motorway. You have been in the middle lane for five minutes, there has been nothing in the near side line till now and the outside, third lane is empty.

1. Do you carry on in a trance
  2. Look in your mirrors and move into the third lane to permit the truck to overtake.

My experience is that 50% wont move over.

I think the deterioration of lane discipline is a result of,.and down to lack of Poice patrol cars on the motorway nowadays, in comparison to how it once was.
When I first started there were in abundance, you saw them every day, now you are lucky if you see one in a week. :unamused:

As I said before (despite Mr monkey man reading what he wanted to read :unamused: ) There should be more powers given to HATO, to maintain lane discipline, I ain’t saying make them into the ‘new traffic police’, but even if they kitted their cars out with a camera., and give them authorisation to stop cars to give them warnings in severe cases where they are acting as a danger. would be a deterrent.

robroy I remember when we had Traffic Officers, who were the only cops with the White caps. :astonished:

robroy:

Monkey241:

Oh right, ok, so you want ANOTHER ‘Usefulness of the Police’’ debate? :neutral_face:
Btw…Not held up as such, just making a comment on an observation, but thanks for the kind words anyway.

(Police are obviously too busy with more important stuff. [emoji38] )

Whenever I compare their money making excercises with doing proper crime addressing police work…(do you remember those days Mr Monkey? ) I get the ‘‘Different departments’’ chestnut.
Surely traffic division IS actually traffic, including where there is no use of revenue cameras or have I missed something??

You do realise lane hogging can be dealt with via FPN?

In the same way that your chav plate can be? But a £1000 max fine appears to vindicate your argument and is just so much more…dramatic [emoji6]

But a quick Google search reveals loads of headlines about plod dealing with such transgressions.

It seems you write one offence off that you view as a triviality and complain old bill are chasing revenue, whilst moaning they aren’t chasing this particular revenue source.

I’m sure you’ll claim you weren’t criticising old bill, despite any reader of an average comprehension seeing the criticism in black and white. [emoji16]

The HA option is interesting…but potentially full of problems.

Monkey241:

robroy:

Monkey241:

(Police are obviously too busy with more important stuff. [emoji38] )

You do realise lane hogging can be dealt with via FPN?

In the same way that your chav plate can be? But a £1000 max fine appears to vindicate your argument and is just so much more…dramatic [emoji6]

But a quick Google search reveals loads of headlines about plod dealing with such transgressions.

:laughing:
Ffs are you still on about and trying to defend your ‘‘Purge on number plates’’ :unamused:
Let it go man, …(or at least respond on the CORRECT thread. :unamused: :neutral_face: )

Loving the ‘‘Chav plate’’ reference btw, :smiley: :sunglasses:
Have you been waiting for the opportunity to shoe horn that one in?..a bit late of thinking of it? Bothered with after thought? :laughing: :laughing:

Anyway, back on thread middle lane hogging…
'‘LOADS’ of examples ?
Not nearly enough I’d reckon.

robroy:
I think the deterioration of lane discipline is a result of,.and down to lack of Poice patrol cars on the motorway nowadays, in comparison to how it once was.

More an issue of traffic density and speed limits and especially lower truck speeds.
At what point do you call it lane hogging or just staying out in lane 2 because you can see the inevitable next plodding truck well ahead in lane 1.
The rule is you can use lane 2 etc for ‘over taking’ it doesn’t say you must return to lane 1 just because there is space between slower traffic in lane 1.
So long as you’re running at the 70 mph speed limit what’s the problem with being in lane 2 of a 3 or 4 lane motorway anyway.The fact is there is usually too much slower moving traffic in lane 1 to make it usable for continuous 70 mph running.
While there’s a good case for 4 lane motorways to ban trucks of 7.5t and over from lanes 3 and 4 and cars from lanes 1 and 2 except to exit and enter.
Also might as well put the priority on traffic entering from a slip road.
Which just leaves the issue of traffic travelling too slow for the conditions.That is an issue of not making progress for whatever reason not an issue of lane discipline.Very likely to be caused by drunk driving or driving without a licence or driving while tired nothing to do with lane discipline at all.
While the law are more interested in nicking people for driving at 80 mph + in lane 3 or 4 for political reasons not safety.