middle east

glenman:
hi egg,sorry cant remember who he did m/e for.talked about a lot of people and trips he had done.remember he was a fitter with lowes then started driving with sas.he said he last saw yourself i think in carisio but not sure of when that was.he remembers where you lived because i think he said it was all knocked down for new roads if thats right.the conversation just rambled on and its hard to recall all the names he talked about.mentioned some driver who wife went with him who always insisted on having her makeup and best clothes on,talked about some place in the desert which had undergrond canals,some deaf and dumb arab lad who did runner at customs for drivers and i think some smallish driver who put two cops into a swimming pool maybe in yugo.all these people had names just ive forgotten.he is an o/d now drives an eurostar pulling for team transport in s.ireland.by the way i just do euro.maybe when he gets internet he’ll get on here and give the full account himself.if any more comes to me ill post it.

cheers for that i woked at sas but not rember a bill porter as for m/e might be telling porkies or not if you or any one want to come to thailand for holyday let me know and i will take on a seedy tour flights are cheap all best egg :sunglasses:

The deaf and dumb kid is right enough. He worked for an agent on the Jordan side of the Syria / Jordan border and was a brilliant little kid. I wonder what he is doing now - probably owns that place!

David Miller:
The deaf and dumb kid is right enough. He worked for an agent on the Jordan side of the Syria / Jordan border and was a brilliant little kid. I wonder what he is doing now - probably owns that place!

dave as you said in your last lettere ken ward is it the same guy at of braintree o/d with a l h d man all best egg on legs :unamused:

Ken. No the Kenny Ward I mean is a big Yorkshire lad that came from Doncaster. He was Grangewood’s first driver and he stayed with them till they folded. He and his missus now have a company and he still drives a F16 510hp on fridge work.

take care,

David

the deaf and dumb kid is indeed a quite big business type,in customs i think,according to the driver .

I’m really glad to hear that, glenman, he deserved it. It would be tough enough to be handicapped in a Country where somebody gave a ■■■■, never mind in the Middle East.

David

Following another link from here I got into a Aramco site that has lots of articles about the job in the 70’s and in one of them I found this:

His name was Muhammad Abu-al-Jhanzar, I learned later, and he had built himself a flourishing business helping truckers process their papers at the frontier. A refugee, he supported his family on his earnings and had even been able, that year, to send his mother and father to Mecca for the Hajj. The amazing thing about all this was that Muhammad, 16, was a deaf-mute.

Your right about the mute…he was indeed a runner at the syrian border…funny how he managed to sort out all the problems without hearing or speaking…and did a good job as far as i can remember …his name was ismaiel…or summit like it…anyway hes probably got his own hearing aid company by now…what .did you say… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

There was a firm did m/e with dafs 1970/80s from leigh area lancs.
Cant think of the name,think they had blue trucks with an orange band,any ideas?

Regards dave

truckyboy:
Your right about the mute…he was indeed a runner at the syrian border…funny how he managed to sort out all the problems without hearing or speaking…and did a good job as far as i can remember …his name was ismaiel…or summit like it…anyway hes probably got his own hearing aid company by now…what .did you say… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

truckyboy the mute was he a relation to you ? :smiley: :laughing: :sunglasses: egg

dafdave:
There was a firm did m/e with dafs 1970/80s from leigh area lancs.
Cant think of the name,think they had blue trucks with an orange band,any ideas?

Regards dave

I think I remember the firm you are on about altho the name is not springing to mind!! There was guy who lived in Widnes ( had a farm/small yard) near the M62/M57 Roundabout who had a MAN in those colours or was it black and Orange, cant remember the exact colour, his name was Don Gibson who did M/E in the 70s Very early 80s.

Anybody remember him or the firm from the description ?

Its come to me, DOW FREIGHT! They were around in the 70s , middle 70s, I would say

Anybody remember these ? Im not sure if Don Gibson was the owner or just worked for them ( I was only young then), he was a friend of my fathers, sadly they lost touch when he sold up and moved…

I will ask him my dad and see what he can remember!

Is this the firm you were thinking of DafDave ?

routier:
Its come to me, DOW FREIGHT! They were around in the 70s , middle 70s, I would say

Anybody remember these ? Im not sure if Don Gibson was the owner or just worked for them ( I was only young then), he was a friend of my fathers, sadly they lost touch when he sold up and moved…

I will ask him my dad and see what he can remember!

Is this the firm you were thinking of DafDave ?

dafdave
No mate,this firm was in the leigh golborne area. But thanks anyway.

Dave

daf dave

Didn’t this Leigh outfit have a driver get fitted up for something and they had to pay a load of cash to get him home? There was a lot in the local press about it at the time. They had a DAF 2800 wagon and drag parked up in Radcliffe regular, around 76/77and I realised it was the same firm .

boden:
daf dave

Didn’t this Leigh outfit have a driver get fitted up for something and they had to pay a load of cash to get him home? There was a lot in the local press about it at the time. They had a DAF 2800 wagon and drag parked up in Radcliffe regular, around 76/77and I realised it was the same firm .

Hennessy?

M & S ■■?

they were from leigh way, remember they had orange in the colours, not sure about ME but know they did boxes

think they had a couple of names they traded under

240 Gardner:

boden:
daf dave

Hennessy?

dafdave

This firm used to run m/e in the 70s in orange and blue livery they had some split screen dafs.They ran from the leigh area.
The firm you are thinking of i think is ronny hennessy who ran tankers with f12 dafs he ran bent and he himself was caught at dover a good few yrs. ago smuggling class a drugs.
regards dave.
p.s.He originally ran out of bolton but then out of mort l/n tyldesley.he had all blue units with silver tanks.

dafdave: f12 dafs??

harry:
dafdave: f12 dafs??

dafdave

Sorry harry its my age my minds goin i meant of course F12 VOLVOS

regards dave

Dow freight…was a gtreat company …was owned by Roger and John dowset…and when it went ■■■■ up …started a new firm called R & J…and still going today …although using mainly subbies to pull their trailers…remember Big T…tony who worked for them …and then worked with me on lawrabian freight …sadly got killed on the M1 when he ran in to the back of a moving trailer he was on his way to the yard to ship out to turkey…sadly missed…a great character…