Middle East - Not Astran!

Trans uk from Felixstowe Suffolk .

Cartrights from the Birmingham area had 3 or 4 Magi deutz pulling for Sea Land from Dammam to Riyadh at the time I started on there -Summer '77. They really didn’t like the heat! The guy who was in charge sent home a photo of himself holding up a brace of pistons when they had them off the road for about the third time for a complete strip down.
No joy rebuilding those engines in the open, ducking under the trailers to get out of the sun for a while.

They pulled alright when they weren’t seizing up though!

John.

stevejones:
hi jazzandy would that be bill kitt friend of tony bradfield if so is he still alive i knew him on gbe and morrocco work tks

Of course Hot to Trot is still alive Steve, Put Tony Bradfield in the search box and you will see he is still doing Morocco for Davis Turner at 83 years of age.

David Miller:
How can you say such a thing Jazzandy? Not Astran? When so many believe that there was ONLY Astran!

Here is a good picture of a non-Astran subbie. You see what happens if you are not pulling for the King?

David

This is before it was dumped when it broke down.

Turkey (2).jpg

Trucks (2).jpg

Guesty44:

David Miller:
How can you say such a thing Jazzandy? Not Astran? When so many believe that there was ONLY Astran!

Here is a good picture of a non-Astran subbie. You see what happens if you are not pulling for the King?

David

Turkey.jpg

Guesty44:

Guesty44:

David Miller:

David

Kenty.jpg

Last beer before the h4.jpg

Bowker-H4.jpg

H4.jpg

robert1952:

John McVey:

robert1952:
Good idea! Here’s another non-Astran Brit at the Jordanian border! Robert :laughing:

I took that photo in 1977

Oh good! Now I can acknowledge the photographer of that grey Big-J on bricks in the desert: John McVey

PS I’ll bet this Big-J wasn’t a demonstrator for Astran! Who’s going to be brave enough to Photoshop it? Robert :smiley:

No acknowledgement necessary but thanks anyway :slight_smile:

Archie Paice:
Good to see Billy Kitt mentioned on here. I was good friends with him when we were 17 or 18 years old when we lived in Maidstone. I never saw him for years after that, I saw him once when he was on for Pro Motor. Then the last time we met up it was in Italy, at Chiaso. He was then living in Holland and was if I remember on for Jan de Rooy. I wonder what he’s doing these days.

This is Bill facing us on the left!

Don’t know where he is now

Cartrights from the Birmingham area had 3 or 4 Magi deutz pulling for Sea Land from Dammam to Riyadh at the time I started on there -Summer '77. They really didn’t like the heat! The guy who was in charge sent home a photo of himself holding up a brace of pistons when they had them off the road for about the third time for a complete strip down.
No joy rebuilding those engines in the open, ducking under the trailers to get out of the sun for a while.

John.

Hi John.

Strange you say that since the Oman Defence Force had several of them, red cabs with no markings, running with their own military equipment down to Suhar and Muscat - and that was a tough pull in the early days - and they swore by them. Don’t know what spec they were though.

There were some desperate military characters driving for them - true steely eyed killers of men types. They did not have much to do with other drivers either. probably because of the bull… I guess. The most common thing to could hear in those days always began “When I was in the sas”. It used to crack me up that they would also speak NCO, which is to say that you have to add vowels onto words where they don’t belong and remove them from where they did. For example; ‘Hand where do yoo fink yoo are Agoing of?’ Or ‘Wot you fink you are Adoing of then?’ The few lads you had actually been Regiment just winced and kept their own council.

David

In the early and mid 70s the sultan had 3 6wheel double drive Maggies running from the UK to Muscat with military supplies.All three of the guys came from the same town as me [Clacton].I was amazed when i first met them in Saudi.They would be pulled across the desert into Oman[Before the road was finished].There is a piccy of one of the guys and the Inco Mol in Cola Cowboys.

Fair enough, David & Mike. Maybe the air cooling wasn’t the root of the Cartwright problems :blush:

Anyone from Cartwright on here to shed more light on that?

I remember there were 2 brothers who drove for them. The younger one was called Neil and had been in the army. He used to explain how he would dig in and have a commanding position, with a full field of fire across the causeway.

John

I may be wrong about this, but something in the back of my mind tells me that Jack Harrison of Birmingham had ten Maggie Deutz tractor units on middle east work and that one of them had been stolen when it was still virtually new.
Regards jamie.

Perhaps Hutpik you can remember the black lad who was using his Maggie like a mobile hotel / hire car based at the Mo-camp Ankara the cold “spring” of 76. Maybe not cos you got your f89 fixed a couple of days after I got there. He was Dutch (I think) and acting like an agent running around for the outfit he worked for. The Magirus was ok in that weather! Jim

Hi JMC.No,sorry i can’t remember but considering how long i’d waited for parts to fix the truck i just wanted to be out of there.That was not one of the best trips i done,17 weeks from start to finish on trip money.I remember i got the grand total of £500 when i got back.
As you say it was a ‘‘cold winter\spring’’,the worst for many years in Turkey and sleeping in an F89 with a broken engine wasn’t fun.

stevejones:
hi jazzandy would that be bill kitt friend of tony bradfield if so is he still alive i knew him on gbe and morrocco work tks

I mentioned Bill Kitt’s name on the other thread a couple of years ago, and I think it could have been his daughter that came on to say that he had passed away. I always liked Bill, plenty of chat and full of ideas. Last time I saw him, wasn’t he working for Hammond’s office in Istanbul?

John West:

John.

Between '75 and '78 there must have been more Maggies topped home than you would believe!
Some of you must have met that tall German driver, Bernd Braun, known as Bernard. he told me that before he became a truck driver he was a Magirus truck salesman, and they were the worst ■■■■■■■ truck ever built, that’s why he had no hair left!

atlas at Rest.jpg

Guesty44:

David Miller:

David

This the Same one Chris

Just trying to remember when 13.6m standard trailers replaced 12.00m trailers (ie overall artic length changed from 15m to 16.5. The year 1983 sticks in my mind (or was that when 38-tonne weight limit replaced 32t?). Robert :question:

robert1952:
Just trying to remember when 13.6m standard trailers replaced 12.00m trailers (ie overall artic length changed from 15m to 16.5. The year 1983 sticks in my mind (or was that when 38-tonne weight limit replaced 32t?). Robert :question:

nhs.uk/Livewell/insomnia/Pag … tment.aspx

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

nhs.uk/Livewell/insomnia/Pag … tment.aspx

:laughing: Robert :laughing: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :unamused: