Middle East - Not Astran!

Arabic version of Ausfart / Uitrit / Uitgang / Sortie / Exit etc

79436264.jpg

Middle-East Mercs as we recognised them.

2632 Export.jpg

Iranian Merc NG found on the web.

Tartous docks in Syria, awaiting sailing to Volos in Greece: spot the ERF!

KFH 248P in Tartus docks Jeff Johnson.jpg

Fred Archer had about 16 trucks doing M/E when I was there in the early 80s.

robert1952:

Loose-wire:
eddie snax
Which revolution you referring to Gengis Kahn no problem in Iran when I went there late 70s and 80s head down mind your own business be polite to locals ,get in get out job done ,I owned a Volvo exactly like the one in the pic except mine was a T Reg 1978,the roads were bad not realy roads as such, but interesting all the same.
Roger

Loose-wire has a point (hello Roger!). The macro politics often don’t affect the micro ones. I was in Tehran in 2009 when there were riots against Britain, complete with flag-burning etc. But people were charming and polite to me because they knew my name wasn’t Tony Blair. I experienced the same in Pakistan when the Taliban were moving into Swat valley and the same in Saudi when I drove a lorry in there just after 9/11. I knew the border official wasn’t Bin Laden and he knew I wasn’t Geo Bush.

While the political children destroy the world around us, we grown-ups just get on with commerce and industry (and education). Not rocket science. Robert

Loose-wire, I was thinking about the revolution in 1979, when the Ayatollah returned and the Shar was deposed (excuse the spellings).

Your insight into the world as it was on the ground is fascinating. As someone at home in the UK, in School at that time, its only what you see on the telly or read in the newspapers that can inform your view, no Internet then :wink:

As you say Robert, the Macro politics often don’t reflect day to day life, though I suspect that both off you as experienced travellers, get a kind off street sense for when trouble might be afoot. :wink:

hey, in days it was more peaceful to go down end '60’s.

Eric,

Never let it be said that I was taking the ■■■■ - just having a larf :wink:

So lets see some photos of us lot that perhaps have not been seen before, or at least for a while.

Here is Jimmy Cadwalleder and his faithful, all gold 76. They all suffered from overheating problems which lead to modifications to the grille.

David

ChrisArbon:

Fred Archer had about 16 trucks doing M/E when I was there in the early 80s.

Coincidentally, I’ve just posted details of one of these on the Lorries with 13-speed Fuller Road-rangers thread, complete with a link to a site that might interest you, Chris. Robert :smiley:

David Miller:

So lets see some photos of us lot that perhaps have not been seen before, or at least for a while.

Here is Jimmy Cadwalleder and his faithful, all gold 76. They all suffered from overheating problems which lead to modifications to the grille.

David

Didn’t intend to misrepresent you David :wink:

I’ve often wondered why those Scania Vabis radiators were modified: now I know! Robert :smiley:

robert1952:

David Miller:

David

Didn’t intend to misrepresent you David :wink:

I’ve often wondered why those Scania Vabis radiators were modified: now I know! Robert :smiley:

hey, same was done at the old forward control MB’s. In was a common sight here in the '60’s.
but the 76 was the worst because of no hole at the back of the cab.

Eric,

Eric,

Tr Eg.jpg

Here’s three of the hundreds of second hand Dutch trucks that we shunted down to Tehran for Pars.

Hi all David,thats a really old piccy of Middle East Forwarding from Hillegom.I would like to see more of the photo to know if thats one of Rynarts next to him with the containers on for Philips Karachi

Good to see Billy Kitt mentioned on here. I was good friends with him when we were 17 or 18 years old when we lived in Maidstone. I never saw him for years after that, I saw him once when he was on for Pro Motor. Then the last time we met up it was in Italy, at Chiaso. He was then living in Holland and was if I remember on for Jan de Rooy. I wonder what he’s doing these days.

robert1952:
Good idea! Here’s another non-Astran Brit at the Jordanian border! Robert :laughing:

I took that photo in 1977

hi jazzandy would that be bill kitt friend of tony bradfield if so is he still alive i knew him on gbe and morrocco work tks

John McVey:

robert1952:
Good idea! Here’s another non-Astran Brit at the Jordanian border! Robert :laughing:

I took that photo in 1977

Oh good! Now I can acknowledge the photographer of that grey Big-J on bricks in the desert: John McVey

PS I’ll bet this Big-J wasn’t a demonstrator for Astran! Who’s going to be brave enough to Photoshop it? Robert :smiley:

Guy sleeper.jpg

Hi all David,thats a really old piccy of Middle East Forwarding from Hillegom.I would like to see more of the photo to know if thats one of Rynarts next to him with the containers on for Philips Karachi

No Mike. I remember taking that picture and that was an Orxy Freightlines 89 with 2 containers on, driver Butch Levett. There was 5 Orxy, Uncle Rijk and Jimmy all parked in the desert together.

In fact there it is!

David

Just paint

ANON. :unamused: :wink:

Aha.Excellent David.I remember Butch,i met him a couple of times in Doha at Manai Trading.Was it him that died not so long ago or his mate.

If it was Butch, Mike then I have not heard about it. Hope not?

David

There was something on the Astran thread sometime ago about an Oryx driver who had died i think but i cant remember who it was .Butch used to run with one guy a lot [not Chris Bolt.]

Trans uk from Felixstowe Suffolk .