Middle East - Not Astran!

David Miller:
Morning Robert. May I say that I am surprised that, in the light of recent events, you are advising people to go to.Farce Bok.
For my money the nasty little ponce that owns the thing has totally misused the trust of his ‘clients’ by selling their personal information to third parties to further add to his fortune.
My advice would be to stay as far away from the mess as possible.

David.

Ah-ha! I agree with your advice. It so happens that I’ve never been anywhere near Fkuc-book because I never trusted them from the outset - or for that matter whatsapp, which FB owns! The only reason I provided this link is that you can access it without having to log into FB so for once we can get one over on the self-serving ■■■■■■■■■ Robert :laughing:

Do you know Leonard McArdle?

Wheel Nut:
Do you know Leonard McArdle?

Oh, the irony [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Trans UK did the Middle East.

Hi all not replying to this in particular but would like some information , I travelled with my father to Tehran in 1975,we shipped out of Felixstowe end of August did the train in Germany then Austria Yugoslavia,Bulgaria turkey stopped off at the Harem for 2 days and slept in a proper Bed and enjoyed the pool . We carried across turkey where we hit the queue for the Bazergan border it took 2.5days to get through once through into Iran we headed for Tehran now I have question my dad told As came down a road toward a village /town the road deceives you , you it’s going 1way but actually goes another and from memory there was a dish shaped fountain and explained that possibly 3 Dutch drawbar trucks hit this fountain 1 took off ripping all axles off , another saw what happened took evasive action but finished up demolishing a house and the 3rd wet between 2 houses and demolished them unfortunately there were a lot of fatalities could anybody confirm wether all or part of this is true , also after sitting at the new customs for nearly a week, one stand pipe for water and talcum powder dusty conditions we moved to the international trade being held there (sept-Oct 75) we made camp and stayed approx 2 weeks for backload to GB via Astran, sorry for going on but after all these years I’ve often wondered I’m sure when we drove past the spots there was remains of the trucks still there. Ps I was 14 at the time and 57 so memory may have faded cheers for now

Bosphorus Trading and Transport Co from London. (1972)

1972 me f89.PNG

Another well-remembered ‘Middle-Easter’… Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Another well-remembered ‘Middle-Easter’… Robert.

Robert,heres a bit about Athol’s Scania. Sorry about the scanning not one of my better ones ! :laughing: :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
Another well-remembered ‘Middle-Easter’… Robert.

Robert,heres a bit about Athol’s Scania. Sorry about the scanning not one of my better ones ! :laughing: :wink:

Click on pages twice to read.

Great! A relevant find! Robert

Simon International bit from 1974.

Click on page once to read.

1974 me simon int.PNG

DEANB:

There is a Simon International thread on here somewhere! R

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

There is a Simon International thread on here somewhere! R

I posted quite a bit on the Simon thread a few years ago, because they became involved with Caravan Trading (ships of the desert not mobile homes) where I subbed from and worked for for about 10 years. Skipvitesse posted photos I’d never seen and I obviously met him and must have travelled with him. I don’t honestly remember him, but as he says, he preferred to travel alone and not get involved. I was more sociable. He has later become reviled on Facebook as a bullsh****r. I won’t join in that, because I have no knowledge of his trips to Russia etc, but certainly everything he said about Simon International was true to my knowledge.

John.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=26763&p=2078093&hilit=Simon+Black+john#p2078093

One of my trucking correspondents is a Dutch transport historian called Hans Witte. He sent me these pics and info on DAF’s involvement with Turkey and Iran.

The pictures are from DAF trucks Magazines 1975, of which there were four issues per year.

In the first issue of 1975 there was an article about the set up of DAF service dealers in Turkey. DAF appointed Boronkey (a well known trailer builder) as a main dealer.
Two other service workshops were opened, one next to the Londra Mocamp in Istanbul and another in Ankara.

In the Mocamp picture you can see 3 Rynart Fiats on the left.
The blue is from Rinus (M. Rynart), the cream and green trucks were from his brother Frans (Rynart Transport).

More to come…

Robert

In 1975 130 identical DAF 2800s and trailers were sent out to Tehran in Iran. In the 1st picture, there’s been a bit of shunt! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
In 1975 130 identical DAF 2800s and trailers were sent out to Tehran in Iran. In the 1st picture, there’s been a bit of shunt! Robert

Can’t see any shunting going on, although the DAF in the lower right pic does look as if it has been in the wars a bit.

Oddly, it looks as if the leading DAF is a six-wheeler, the others being 4x2s, yet the “ink” seems a bit smudged over the leading axle.

Whose are those lorries bringing up the rear?

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

Can’t see any shunting going on, although the DAF in the lower right pic does look as if it has been in the wars a bit.

Oddly, it looks as if the leading DAF is a six-wheeler, the others being 4x2s, yet the “ink” seems a bit smudged over the leading axle.

Whose are those lorries bringing up the rear?

Hans said about the shunt so we have to take his word for it. The rearmost will be other overlanders queueing for whatever they’re queueing for, I imagine! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:
…Whose are those lorries bringing up the rear?

…The rearmost will be other overlanders queueing for whatever they’re queueing for, I imagine! Robert

The liveries look “British” to me, particularly the leading trailer. I wondered if any of the old boys on here recognised them. These multiple-vehicle photos invite this sort of thing- it’s irresistible :laughing: .

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:
…Whose are those lorries bringing up the rear?

…The rearmost will be other overlanders queueing for whatever they’re queueing for, I imagine! Robert

The liveries look “British” to me, particularly the leading trailer. I wondered if any of the old boys on here recognised them. These multiple-vehicle photos invite this sort of thing- it’s irresistible :laughing: .

Absolutely! With you 100% :sunglasses:. Robert

The DAF-trailers stated “DAF Trucks Holland” and drivers of Jan de Rooy (indeed the now retired
driver of the Dakar-rally, with now son Gerard often participating) did the job towards the ME.
On arrival and after a hot bath and a good meal another journey was planned and well paid.

ERF-Continental:
The DAF-trailers stated “DAF Trucks Holland” and drivers of Jan de Rooy (indeed the now retired
driver of the Dakar-rally, with now son Gerard often participating) did the job towards the ME.
On arrival and after a hot bath and a good meal another journey was planned and well paid.

Yes indeed! Hans commented on this in one of his emails to me (which I have permission to use in this thread) as follows:

All the tilts had DAF Trucks Holland signwriting.

Robert :wink: