Middle East - Not Astran!

Read about this fella a few times.

DEANB:
Read about this fella a few times.

Only met him the once in a custom shed somewhere in the ME late 70’s I think. A deep booming voice at the back of the queue proclaiming he was British then Andrew forcing his way through the throng to the very front where he thanked the driver who was about to hand his papers to the customs officer through this little window as Andrew put his in first. Nobody said a word. A few minutes later he had his papers back and was on his way. What a character.

Youngturk, is he the one I’ve read about that was deaf & dumb, used to do Driver’s paperwork at the Border when he was a young boy? Chris

No, no. Young Turk was a Forwarding and Customs Agency in Istanbul, Turkey.

The deaf and dumb kid, an excellent worker and a great help to all European drivers, worked for a Custom Agent on the border post between Syria and Jordan at Ramtha. I used him for years but have no idea what his real name was - he would answer to whatever you wanted to call him. He was deaf of course so it made no odds.

David

David Miller:

The deaf and dumb kid, an excellent worker and a great help to all European drivers, worked for a Custom Agent on the border post between Syria and Jordan at Ramtha. I used him for years but have no idea what his real name was - he would answer to whatever you wanted to call him. He was deaf of course so it made no odds.

David

Ah OK David, thanks for that. You had to admire the deaf & dumb boy making his way in that environment with those disabilities, must have been a gutsy little bugger. Chris

adr:

David Miller:

David

Ah OK David, thanks for that. You had to admire the deaf & dumb boy making his way in that environment with those disabilities, must have been a gutsy little bugger. Chris

Didn’t I read somewhere he ended up with his own business running his own Custom Agency at the border. Good on him.

adr:
Youngturk, is he the one I’ve read about that was deaf & dumb, used to do Driver’s paperwork at the Border when he was a young boy? Chris

The deaf and dumb kid grew up to run an efficient service. His name was Mohammed (Abu Jazar, I think). When the Ramtha border was moved 6 kms up the border line he set up business at Jabeer (Jordan side). The name of the Syrian side was Naseeb.

I believe Young Turk was a runner at Kapicule (Turkish side of the Bulgarian border) but was not deaf and dumb. There were certainly some enterprising kids at many Middle-East borders! Robert

Did you see?

This evening there was a programme on the TV about Iran. It was a food programme actually but there was film from all around the Country. Tehran is amazing! They have dual carriageways, flyovers, traffic lights, shopping malls, everything. Not at all as I remember the place.
I was beginning to doubt that I had ever been there. Perhaps I imagined it all? But then towards the end we are riding with the presenter in a taxi going down a fantastic 8 lane dual carriageway when, there in the slow lane, is a bloke on a motorcycle riding along the wrong way. Phew! It was as I remember it after all.

David

A few pictures from Damascus a few years ago

just short of Ramtha/jabber border

fgm:
just short of Ramtha/jabber border

Interesting shots ‘fgm’! Would that be the old Ramtha (Syria)/ Der’aa (Jordan) border or the newer Naseeb (Syria) / Jabeer (Jordan) border? When I was going down there in 2001/2 they’d recently moved the lorry border 6kms up the frontier leaving the old Ramtha border for cars only.

I took the pic below at Naseeb.

Cheers, Robert

the new one at Jabber border .Old customer and friend killed near there a few years ago in accident .

fgm:
the new one at Jabber border .Old customer and friend killed near there a few years ago in accident .

Sorry to hear that. Thank you for your reply. Cheers, robert

Depot Just north of Damascus City before the War

DSC00075.JPG

And after first 3 years of war if not stolen they blew it up !

Interesting and thought-provoking pictures fgm. Maybe if there’d been no wars and a different mentality in the M/E we would now see open borders, no customs procedures and one currency. hmmm…

In the Old days, 70 ies, at Kapıkule drivers were not allowed to chase their paper work at the customs offices,dont as me why
but that was the system.,this system borught mıddle man companies,generally one man , younturk at the tıme had not trucks , they were quite happy to do theır busıness, plus had agencies of the europeans who were runnıng to turkey and m/east…advancing monies , contacing the office etc etc…after collecting the cmr notes ,ofcourse customers >> ın the eıghtıes they formed their transport company and
a base ıf ı recall correctly near bırmıngham ın the uk…
quote=“adr”]Youngturk, is he the one I’ve read about that was deaf & dumb, used to do Driver’s paperwork at the Border when he was a young boy? Chris
[/quote]

Nazmi Ozcan:
In the Old days, 70 ies, at Kapıkule drivers were not allowed to chase their paper work at the customs offices,dont as me why
but that was the system.,this system borught mıddle man companies,generally one man , younturk at the tıme had not trucks , they were quite happy to do theır busıness, plus had agencies of the europeans who were runnıng to turkey and m/east…advancing monies , contacing the office etc etc…after collecting the cmr notes ,ofcourse customers >> ın the eıghtıes they formed their transport company and
a base ıf ı recall correctly near bırmıngham ın the uk…
ıf my memory serves me rıght name was suleyman and hıs brother…
quote=“adr”]Youngturk, is he the one I’ve read about that was deaf & dumb, used to do Driver’s paperwork at the Border when he was a young boy? Chris

[/quote]

Loads of Middle-East stuff on here:

facebook.com/groups/23934652306/

R

Morning Robert. May I say that I am surprised that, in the light of recent events, you are advising people to go to.Farce Bok.
For my money the nasty little ponce that owns the thing has totally misused the trust of his ‘clients’ by selling their personal information to third parties to further add to his fortune.
My advice would be to stay as far away from the mess as possible.

David.