Middle East - North Africa

Gadjet! Yes thats the man! :laughing:

any of u lads know Terry evans

i done morocco for davis turner from 2001 to 04, had the pleasure of meeting some good drivers on that job including bill (grandad) king in his old transcon. its mainly maroc trucks that do the job now, the problems on the estates got too much for me. takadoon was the worst i got bricked a couple of times coming off there.
even had a car tried too cut me up too slow me down but the old 143 was too fast for him and he drove straight into the side of the trailer.

taebbreak:
i done morocco for davis turner from 2001 to 04, had the pleasure of meeting some good drivers on that job including bill (grandad) king in his old transcon. its mainly maroc trucks that do the job now, the problems on the estates got too much for me. takadoon was the worst i got bricked a couple of times coming off there.
even had a car tried too cut me up too slow me down but the old 143 was too fast for him and he drove straight into the side of the trailer.

takadoon was the worst Yeah ,they used to ambush you at the pass. :laughing:
They didn’t want to steal anything ,they just liked chucking rocks at trucks.

Bill passed away last Spring. His Transcon broke down in Maroc one Winter & the parts had to come from UK .By the time the parts arrived Bill was seriosly bill with an old respiratory prob. & flew home .His truck was repaired & brought home by another driver where it was sold for scrap. I think that was about 3 years before he passed away. Bill was a real gent & is greatly missed.

harry. the gearbox went in it and i gave cliff luxton my trailer and he drove it home. the last time i think ill ever be in a working transcon me n cliff went and done the last collection in it then he headed for tanger.

The last time I saw Bill was at a truckers reunion in Folkestone a couple of years ago .Five months later he had passed away.

More sad news. I didn’t know him ,but a Manno (?) lad by the name of Mick Roberts passed away last week : Cancer. He had a farewell reunion with all the MA boys in Derby in Febuary ,he told us that he had 8 months to live, but he looked fit as a fiddle apart from his pale complexion. Mick`s funeral is Wed 11th June at 1.15 in Coventry .

Boyzee, I would like to say how much I have enjoyed seeing your pictures of the Sahara. Here are a couple of my photo’s that might look a bit familier to you. I am afraid that we cheated, as we didn’t cross the Sahara in a truck but in a 1966 Ford Transit and a 1964 Landrover and we did our trip in 1975.
I noticed on one of your photo’s an abandoned tar trailer, was this where the bitumen ended south of In Salha ?. Also Boyzee can you remember seeing a Ford Anglia 105E which was burnt out about ten miles from where the road ended. I hope these photo’s bring back some memories for you.
Best regards Steve.

North of Tamanrasset.

I remember this bit as being as flat as a pancake and we reached speeds of up to 40 m.p.h. with Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon blasting out of the cassette. We met up with this couple from London who were travelling in a Volkswagon Combi.

The Sign For The Tropic Of Cancer.

The Mosque I.I.R.C. near Arak.

mushroomman:
Boyzee, I would like to say how much I have enjoyed seeing your pictures of the Sahara. Here are a couple of my photo’s that might look a bit familier to you. I am afraid that we cheated, as we didn’t cross the Sahara in a truck but in a 1966 Ford Transit and a 1964 Landrover and we did our trip in 1975.
I noticed on one of your photo’s an abandoned tar trailer, was this where the bitumen ended south of In Salha ?. Also Boyzee can you remember seeing a Ford Anglia 105E which was burnt out about ten miles from where the road ended. I hope these photo’s bring back some memories for you.
Best regards Steve.

North of Tamanrasset.

What great photos,ithat looks like the mali or we called it the molly shrine where you drove round it 3 times for luck on your journey,when i went round the straps on the diesel tank broke!As for the tanker trailer yes it was where the tar mac ended.We passed the signs for tinbuctoo with all the mileages on to different places.There was a lot of safari type trips with old ex army bedfords that we met in tamanrasset.Thanks for posting your photos.

I remember this bit as being as flat as a pancake and we reached speeds of up to 40 m.p.h. with Pink Floyds Dark Side Of The Moon blasting out of the cassette. We met up with this couple from London who were travelling in a Volkswagon Combi.

The Sign For The Tropic Of Cancer.

The Mosque I.I.R.C. near Arak.

H

Heres some more for you.

by boyzee » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:42 am
What great photos,ithat looks like the mali or we called it the molly shrine where you drove round it 3 times for luck on your journey,when i went round the straps on the diesel tank broke!As for the tanker trailer yes it was where the tar mac ended.We passed the signs for tinbuctoo with all the mileages on to different places.There was a lot of safari type trips with old ex army bedfords that we met in tamanrasset.Thanks for posting your photos.

Boyzee, how strange that the straps on your diesel tank broke just as you got here. :open_mouth:
We also had a bit of an incident here in search of good luck.
The Landrover was leading at the time and he spotted the Mosque first and proceeded to go around it three times anti-clockwise. We came along in the Transit and also started to go around anti- clockwise. After our first circuit, the guys in the Landrover had decided to be on the safe side and go around three times clock wise. As we came around we had to do a sudden swerve to avoid a head on collision. :unamused:
It would of been Sod’s Law that the only two vehicles for hundreds of miles could of been involved in a head on crash bringing a untimely end to our trip. :cry:

Did you have a cup of tea (chi) off of the locals?they tip the tea in and out of two pots then turn it round and its like a rituel what they do with it then you get a old tiny glass with all chips round the rim but you have to drink it or they get the hump!On the first day going south from algiers to tamanrassett we stop at Blida where there was a cafe.The meal there was ok but from then on it was just the odd mud hut with cold kus kus.

didnt now where else to put this so i will put it on here its an advert off a freight forwarding mag :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

boyzee:
Did you have a cup of tea (chi) off of the locals?they tip the tea in and out of two pots then turn it round and its like a rituel what they do with it then you get a old tiny glass with all chips round the rim but you have to drink it or they get the hump!On the first day going south from algiers to tamanrassett we stop at Blida where there was a cafe.The meal there was ok but from then on it was just the odd mud hut with cold kus kus.

Yes boyzee, I remember the ritual of pouring the tea dozens of times from one teapot to another. They offered you the free tea as a welcome gift but before you left you had to give them a Dashi ( I think that’s how it’s spelt ).
A Dashi was a parting gift, so we gave them a tin of John West salmon. It was a couple of day’s later that somebody said “ I wonder if those Arabs had a tin opener ? ”. :slight_smile:
What I do remember well is that while we were travelling along the bitumen road between El Golea and In Salha, is that every time you stopped, even in the middle of nowhere kids would appear trying to sell you toy camels made out of raffia. :astonished:

Do you want to buy a camel. :smiley:

I am not sure if this was Tadjemout or Tamanrasset :confused: .

Hey mista, you wanna buy another camel. :slight_smile:

Mushroomman your pictures are fantastic im really glad you posted them,they bring back so many memories of the adventures i had.At our base camp in mostagenham we had a 20’ skell trailer with a water tank on it,i had to take it to the local fire station to get it filled every few days.They had a volkswagen engine on the floor that they used to pump the water to the tank.

Would anyone out there have any photos of stevie may’s scania with the high roof conversion that he used to do morrocco in?

Im working with a bloke now who did Maroc for DT. Does anyone remember Jeff or maybe (Geoff) Banks from Stoke?

Steve Rogers:
Would anyone out there have any photos of stevie may’s scania with the high roof conversion that he used to do morrocco in?

I know Steve but I didn’t know he O/D’d to Maroc. A few years ago I saw him in Sotton & he was doing Bosnia with his Globby. Had heart probs; sold it & is now more or less OK. as per March 2007.

boyzee:
Did you have a cup of tea (chi) off of the locals?they tip the tea in and out of two pots then turn it round and its like a rituel what they do with it then you get a old tiny glass with all chips round the rim but you have to drink it or they get the hump!.

Chinese Special Gunpowder tea is used to make Cay, It is green tea brewed throughout Asia and Africa. It is normally brewed using a charcoal burner,small pot and twice as much sugar as tea is used.

The ritual takes about 2 hours and is considered a treat, each brew is offered round and it is normally served 3 times.

I used to go and ask the Turks in Ludwigshaven for Cay and spent many hours sipping it with them. Since then I even had the chance to make it in Africa, it was called Attaya there.

In Morrocco they used to sweeten it with mint but the ritual is the same

Wheel Nut:
Im working with a bloke now who did Maroc for DT. Does anyone remember Jeff or maybe (Geoff) Banks from Stoke?

hi, i worked with banksy for a firm from newcastle u lyme called parkhouse international, banksy had a f12 left ■■■■■■ globetrotter and he deliverd jcb,s from rocester to spain. he then bought a scania and went working for davis turner on moroco. he also did the middle east with my mate mick taylor from stoke, i still see banksy and taylor now and again. i got out of the spanish work about 8 yrs ago due to making too mutch contribution to the customs contraband mountain. if you need any more info about banksy, will be happy to help. Ps if you see him tell him the welsh man that he does not trust has posted about him.