Mid Kent to Hereford at 15 ft in an artic

This is a possibility for Friday, so far I haven’t got a delivery address but it is going to be a packhouse. A quick look at a bridge height Atlas seems to show that Hereford is festooned with low bridges and weight limits. AA Route planner is offering M4 and up or M40 and over or the A40. I’ve ruled out the last as too slowso it looks like I can’t get around the 14’6" on the A 438.

So I’m left with M 40 M42 M5 to Worcester and A 4103 to Hereford or same But M5 M50 to Ross on Wye and A 49 to Ledbury. Is anyone familiar with the area Please? I am assuming this is over 4hrs out and however long back again.

The last time I was in the area was at least ten years ago and I remember that was Pershore, reload Stroud & Gloucester on horrible roads when I had been told it was Pershore and back M/T.

If you go up the A438 from Ledbury to Hereford I’m sure there’s a 14”6 just before you hit Hereford town centre.
Can’t recall any if you go M50-A49 or A4103 from Worcester end(may need to be corrected though,we on run at 14”2).
Pretty much depends on address your going to really,but I’m sure you can come in on A49 and it’s about the best road,A4103 is a ball-ache if you’ve weight on.

Yes, there is a 14’6 bridge on the Ledbury road into Hereford. We take double deckers up there and the only safe way is really down the A40 to Ross, then up the A49 into Hereford. Slightly longer but a lot less stressful.

^^^always took the a49 when delivering bottles to bulmers.
Can’t remember any bridges.

Definitely no low bridges going M50 to Ross on Wye and then up to Hereford on the A49. Only thing on that road is effin tractors holding you up.

A4103 no mate you don’t want to be doing that. The first few miles you spend breathing in as cars come past you going the other way and it’s a right horrible twisty narrow road you’re not getting any speed up on and there’s literally just one or two very short laybys to take a break on it’s whole length.

Thank you to all for your help and advice, this is noted for the future. It turns out that the actual delivery doesn’t need to cross the town and a Ross on Wye approach is clearly the best. However since it disappears into the depths of single track roads with overhanging trees and with this being own account anyway, with 400 miles plus on foot down Friday and trying to get back into Kent with all the holiday traffic it is either going as a back load or next week with the regular driver. There is too much potential for added costs either from tree damage or a night out.

cav551:
Thank you to all for your help and advice, this is noted for the future. It turns out that the actual delivery doesn’t need to cross the town and a Ross on Wye approach is clearly the best. However since it disappears into the depths of single track roads with overhanging trees and with this being own account anyway, with 400 miles plus on foot down Friday and trying to get back into Kent with all the holiday traffic it is either going as a back load or next week with the regular driver. There is too much potential for added costs either from tree damage or a night out.

The road from Ross is good it’s the preferred truck route to Hereford. If coming from Kent don’t join the M5 at the bottom of birdlip use the Gloucester ring road and pick up the 4215 across to newent and join the M50 from there